Bricklaying in Adelaide

Guest Mizzmp

Guest Mizzmp

Hi guys,

Does anybody know what a bricklayer can expect to earn in Adelaide? We have had many different figures given. Does it depend on your skills and ability or is there just a set amount usually paid?

Also, any info about the days/hours would be fab.

Thanks guys.

Guest Damien

Hi, most brickies start on about $30 per hour. Pricework you can expect about $300 a day but you have to supply mixer, bench saw and often materials as well. For pricework you also need a license which isn't cheap and you do have to graft to earn your money (that's why I'm getting out of it lol!). Most of the work is up north.

Damo

Guest Mizzmp

Thanks Damo. My hubby works really hard here so the only diff would be the heat. He leaves at 5:30 am and is home around 6pm with 30 min drive to work to at least he would be home more.

What trade are you swapping for?

Guest Damien

The heat won't be the only difference. The whole blooming job is different here! From the site, tools, scaffolding (lack of), size of bricks, jointing etc......not even mentioning the attitude of the other brickies.

Put it this way, I didn't come all this way to work a lot harder than in the UK and go to bed at 8pm every night coz I'm so blinking tired. I know two other brickies who have had enough and are now changing career.

I don't want to put you off, just be prepared. There are lot's of brickies that do succeed out here, just don't expect to have an easier way of life here. I reckon it's the hardest trade to do out here.

Anyway, sorry to be so doom and gloom! On a lighter note my new job is Fisheries Officer, I'll be patrolling the Southern Ocean in 5m + seas fighting with hard pro fishermen - gotta be easier than laying bricks on dry land:biglaugh:

my OH is a bricklayer and has not had any problems with other brickies (australians or english)...not saying there's no tossers out there but its just the same in the uk... he works 7.30 - 3.30pm so has more time at home than he did in the uk....he's worked southern, northern and hills areas so be prepared to travel sometimes.

he works for hisself which means you have to build up a good contact base with the supervisors from the various house builders, if you are lucky they will give you a long run of work but sometimes its only 1 job but thats when you have a phone around.....yes things are different here and yes if you work for someone, they will want you to work your butt off but if you are a good bricklayer you will pick it up no probs and then you can get the experience of a aussie site and go for your license which is where the better money is..

just wanted to add my opinion cos its not all doom and gloom :)

Jo:cute:

Guest Damien
my OH is a bricklayer and has not had any problems with other brickies (australians or english)...not saying there's no tossers out there but its just the same in the uk... he works 7.30 - 3.30pm so has more time at home than he did in the uk....he's worked southern, northern and hills areas so be prepared to travel sometimes.

he works for hisself which means you have to build up a good contact base with the supervisors from the various house builders, if you are lucky they will give you a long run of work but sometimes its only 1 job but thats when you have a phone around.....yes things are different here and yes if you work for someone, they will want you to work your butt off but if you are a good bricklayer you will pick it up no probs and then you can get the experience of a aussie site and go for your license which is where the better money is..

just wanted to add my opinion cos its not all doom and gloom :)

Jo:cute:

Thanks Jo,

I think I am a good bricklayer, I just didn't come here to work my butt off. I came here for the way of life and quite frankly bricklaying where you get up at 5am, get home knackered at 5pm and go to bed 3 hours later isn't my idea of living the dream. Yes Mark is doing well and fair play to him, I just don't wanna work that hard and deal with obnoxious supervisors, worrying about if and when you are going to be paid, what they will take off you.... Mark has had them too (ie a certain firm with work in Brompton).

I'm just forewarning those back in the UK that it's not the same here and there is a fair amount of bullying, especially if you work for someone (and that includes poms as well as Italians, Auzzies etc).

If you're willing to work bloody hard and for long, physical hours then you'll be fine. I'm just glad I found a top bloke to work with whilst I was brickying here who had the same attitude as me. Many others haven't been so lucky.

Damien

Guest Mizzmp

I guess we will have to see what happens when we finally land. We know it wont be easy tho. How did you get the job as a fisheries officer? Did you have to do any courses? Sounds like a dream job my hubbies well into fishing. We are applying for state sponsorship so think he has to lay bricks for at least 2 years and could then swap.

THe job prospects are so much better over there, even the police force is more welcoming.

Guest Damien

Bricklaying is just different here, you never know he may enjoy it. I worked in Fisheries in the UK for 12 years before becoming a brickie. I have UK qualifications that luckily they recognised over here. You can do a course in Fisheries Compliance in Port Adelaide but as there are so few jobs (40 positions in the whole of SA) they only accept 12 students per year so it's difficult to get into.

I'm state sponsored as well and we only got here in March. Your hubby can do any job he likes, he doesn't have to do his nominated occupation so if he doesn't like bricklying here there's plenty of other work, courses etc he can do!