2 days in so scary alone

Guest andrew_obrien

Guest andrew_obrien

well i did what i thought was the hard part and get my visa and move to Australia but boy is it hard already on my own.

I cried myself to sleep last night because of homesickness and being scared all the way here all alone so i gave my parents a call and explained how i felt and they are flying out tonight for 4 weeks to give me some support.

There is nothig wrong at all with australia so far as the people i have met are so nice and helpful i guess its just the being away from home and friends and family but am going to give it a try for at least month and if i cant hack it being here alone im afraid i will have to go back to the U.K.

Does anyone have any advice for me as to how to get over home sickness, getting friends, support, keeping busy?

Guest caoimhe

Hang in there Andrew its early days, I didn't find it easy and I came here with my husband and kids and also have 2 uncles living here so God knows how you feel. Having your parents with you for a few weeks will hopefully give you time to make some friends and get settled.

Put a post on here to see if there are any single people who could get together for a night out and when you get a job you will make friends.

Good luck, you are very brave trying this on your own so don't give up now

Guest the4hopes

You are not alone there are loads of people on here to help and chat all the time,there will always be a reply as soon as a question is put on.

This is a new beginning for you, think of what you want, go for it, dont let anything get in your way. Meet up with people on here, after a while it gets tiring talking to so many people!! Then you want to be on your own!! You have done the most difficult bit now, the rest is easy, you just need to get out and push yourself a little bit, and you will get loads out of it, and just remember you are going to have so much fun. I think this may be a bit of a difficult time for people to get here, as the weather is quite British at the moment, but it gets fantastic and it gets hot and wonderful, so look forward to it. Just start by meeting people on here and they will make you feel happy.

Guest cazzie

Andrew,

You have done a huge thing all on your own. It WILL get better, but it takes time. I still feel incredibly homesick at times - 8 months in. Hang in there and good luck.

Wow, you have really supportive parents, it is fantastic that they are coming out to see you but I hope it doesn't make the homesickness worse when they leave.

I always say this to people but I arranged some voluntary work for myself for when I arrived and met loads of people that way, there are loads of voluntary organisations in Adelaide desperate for people to help out with various things like animal shelters, etc. It really is a great way to meet people and I got a paid job through it.

I can't imagine how scary it is to do it on your own and you are very brave! It took a huge amount of guts to get this far and homesickness is really normal as a few people have already mentioned.

Guest andrew_obrien
Wow, you have really supportive parents, it is fantastic that they are coming out to see you but I hope it doesn't make the homesickness worse when they leave.

I always say this to people but I arranged some voluntary work for myself for when I arrived and met loads of people that way, there are loads of voluntary organisations in Adelaide desperate for people to help out with various things like animal shelters, etc. It really is a great way to meet people and I got a paid job through it.

I can't imagine how scary it is to do it on your own and you are very brave! It took a huge amount of guts to get this far and homesickness is really normal as a few people have already mentioned.

Do you have any email's or phone number i couldring to do some voluntary work as it would be good to meet people

Guest back clan

Hang on in there and I am sure you will settle.

My first trip to Oz was on my own for three weeks. I went and stayed in a backpackers place after my parents booked me a hotel for the first week. Only stayed at the hotel a night.

Met loads of people there.

You could always book on a group trip. Sound geriatric I know but I tried scuba diving while I was there or a trip to the wine places. Even if you end up with people you wouldn't generally make friends with talking will make you feel less lonely.

You could always go over to the skydiving drop zone. The people there are usually from all over the world and skydivers are the friendliest people I have ever met. GOOD LUCK

Guest brandyslad
Do you have any email's or phone number i couldring to do some voluntary work as it would be good to meet people

http://www.volunteer.com.au

Volunteering is my plan of action if I haven't got work soon after I arrive. There are some great ones on here, from teaching computers to older people, to teaching english to accompanying someone with a disabilty to football matches!

In my old job here I had volunteers who helped out with the project and it is a great way to get yourself known, and get experience.

Anyway, I have your email address from before, we are landing on the 22nd, I know that is a wee bit away but we will meet up, my OH is the same age as you and I am going to have to keep a major eye on him for the homesickness, although prob saying that we will get there and I will be the one who will suffer!

We will be staying in Oaklands Park, where are you?

I cannot imagine how hard it has been for you. My husband and I recently separated and I went ahead with visa application and obtained visas for myself and my two daughters. That was the easy part. Have just sold house and we are living with family at present. Compared to your situation we have it much easier. Although on my own I have two daughters aged 18 and 16 and an uncle who lives in Sheidow park who we can stay with when we arrive.

I take my hat off to you and think you should stick with it. It is very scary but you only live once and I dont want to regret not taking this opportunity that I have been given in years to come, when my daughters have flown the nest and probably moved away anyway.

Take care.

Hey Andrew.

Its not easy coming here on your own, i am fortunate enough to have my daughter who although is only 7 certainly keeps my busy and doesn't give me time to get lonely.

This forum was the best thing for me, i don't know how i would have coped if it hadn't been for a couple of families i met within 5 Min's of arriving at my short term rental apartment (these were people i had been chatting to on PIA previously). Since then i have met more people and struck up some great friendships.

Hang in there and i hope having your parents visit helps. Go on some of the lads nights out and I'm sure you to will meet some great people.

Good luck.

Guest andrew_obrien

I would just like to thank you all for your advice and support. As an update for you all i have met a really nice couple calle greg & dani who got me drunk last night and cooked me a kangaroo steak today (which was nice) i cant thank them enough and i cant thank pia enough too. I am starting to feel much better about the move today and am hopefully going to look at a beach front apartment tomorrow to cheer me up lol.

Once again thank you all!!

Guest andrew_obrien
www.volunteer.com.au

Volunteering is my plan of action if I haven't got work soon after I arrive. There are some great ones on here, from teaching computers to older people, to teaching english to accompanying someone with a disabilty to football matches!

In my old job here I had volunteers who helped out with the project and it is a great way to get yourself known, and get experience.

Anyway, I have your email address from before, we are landing on the 22nd, I know that is a wee bit away but we will meet up, my OH is the same age as you and I am going to have to keep a major eye on him for the homesickness, although prob saying that we will get there and I will be the one who will suffer!

We will be staying in Oaklands Park, where are you?

thanks for the site will have a look at that. ill take you both out for a beer when you get here. i am in north glenelg on sandison terrace

Andrew I came here 20 years ago and found it vey hard to settle and I had a husband and two children to help me, I honestly have to say I admire you for making the move on your own and I think you sound as if your the kind of person who will make and I wish you all the luck in world. Good luck and may you make many friends on your journey.

We are in the North Eastern suburbs and we are really a very friendly lot up here so you'll be ok with your new friends. Good luck.

Jenny

Regarding volunteer, go to your local library and ask if they have a list. At the Mitcham library they have a list of different organizations that you can volunteer with. Also you can try the op shops around you (charity shops). Hang in there, it will get better.

Guest Murphysegg

Hey Andrew, I'm here on my own too. Been here about 10 months now & had a real rollercoaster of a ride. Had a few real lows but plenty highs. To be honest i wouldn't look back. Sure it's no fun going out on your own, but it forces you to interact. Iv'e met tons of people. Most you may never see again, & their never gonna replace your friends back home who you may have known for years, but that'll come with time. I think you have to have a little faith in letting Fate take its course.

A good start is to join a club. Try something new. Something youv'e never tried before. Youv'e already done the hardest part.......getting here.

I'm living in Henley Beach, so if you or any one else for that matter fancy a Beer just drop me a line.

Guest robertreynolds

im over on my own as well, but I thought Id come over on a working holiday visa for 12 months to check things out before getting the full PR but now Ive been here 4 weeks I want to get the PR ASAP!

Guest team rennolds

hang in there Andrew

Have been watching your progress from when you were back in the UK. You are an inspiration to us all, having the balls to go it alone.

Grest to see so many people wanting to catch up with you. Enjoy your early times out there it will be well worth it.

Thanks

Mark

Guest andrew_obrien

Hi all now i have a new apartment in oaks pier plaza for this week then i move into a new one in oaks pier plaza which has 2 bedrooms and a 42" plama and foxtel whoop whoop. Feeling loads better about things now i am in a nice apartment and have met Greg & Dani from this site who have helped me out loads even took me to move apartment they are even taking me out to the pictures today to see star trek.

My advice so far for anyone coming out here on there own is to find somewhere nice to live before you get out here because if you end up where i end up you too will be crying at night and wondering why you came over.

Hopefully i will be able to find a job soon, gonna take the advice i have been given on volunteer work to get something on my resume.

Once again thanks to everyone for there support

Guest mayjess

Really pleased for you Andrew, & the volunteering will boost you up even more esp when you get some fulfillment from it. Its all falling into place now & thats because you`re being pro-active & positive, sorry to drone on- but im a big believer in changing the way you think to get better out of life!

Good Luck with work

Mayjess

Guest Miss-Wales1987

HI Andrew. How are you? Feeling any better? I just joined poms in Oz and i came across your post. Just curious, how old are you? I just moved to Adelaide in December of 08 and i am finding it a bit hard too, but hang on in there! A lot of us in the same position.

Guest rich

Glad it sounds like you are sorted! Nice someone has Foxtel - I guess it will take a while to set mine up when I get there in August - Might need somewhere to watch Spurs lose when the season starts, hehehe

rich