Do you think it's fair

Guest majortom

Guest majortom

My 19 year old son is in the airforce and is currently training in a place near Melbourne (Crib Point).

Well to surprise his Mum who was leaving for the UK for 3 months he told me that he was going to drive home to see her, as he had some leave that weekend.

He just got past the state border and was caught speeding by a patrolman. My son had been travelling in a 100 zone and got "done" just inside a 80 zone and was clocked at 96. Fair enough he was speeding and there's no excuse for it. The fine came through and he was ordered to pay almost $400, which is nearly a weeks wages whilst he's training.

Got a letter today through the post that he has been disqualified from driving for 6 months (he's on P's) and when that disqualified period is up he will go back to L's. That would mean forking out for a test again.

So to summarise, it was his one and only offence. Yes he was going 16k over the legal limit, but I can honestly say that I have been in a zone exceeding a certain limit, realised and then braked accordingly. He knows he had done wrong, but to throw the book at him like this seems unfair.........or is it ???

Jim

Guest Libby1971

I can understand that you think it is unfair and if driving a while then the consequences are harsh. However the law relating to driving says that if while you are on your P plates that you are caught speeding then you will be disqualified and then have to redo your test. Yes it is does seem harsh but the rules are there. If he is on his Ps here, then presumably he took his test here and should be aware of this.

Guest Django

Rules is rules I'm affraid. On a 'P' its one strike and your out. Harsh? Yes. In the UK you get 2 strikes. Unfair? Well the same rules apply for everyone so its not unfair its just very harsh. Once you pass your test here you really have to be whiter than white while still on your 'P's.

Mind you, as some people will tell you on here once you have lost your 'P's its not cheap getting caught speeding or jumping lights, etc. You still need to watch your speed, etc.

Your son was very unlucky. You tend to find that the ones that try their best to stick to the rules of the road get caught during a slight loss in concerntration, while those that tend to ignore the rules don't seem to get caught.

Pete

Hi Jim

Whilst I agree that rules are rules...and every P plater knows or should know what happens if they are caught speeding.....

I feel very sorry for your boy.....I think it is harsh....to be fined $400...then have the 6 month ban etc...and then have to go back on his 'L's...is IMO very harsh.

My daughter got a speeding fine last year whilst on her 'P's'....she was doing 69 in a 60..got caught whilst going down a steep hill. A momentary lack of concentration....and it almost cost her dearly. She got fined around $200 ( i think?) and has to be on her 'P' plates for longer. I believe if she had been going any faster, she would have been in the same situation as your son. If this had happend, it would have been devasting for her.....she would have struggled to get to work....her independence gone...

So...IMO...very harsh on your boy...

Guest Nick11

Personally I think its quite harsh. Hit em where it hurts in the pocket - but 6 months is an awful long time to be off the road.

I know people will say thems the rules and the consequences of driving fast ... but my problem lies with middle aged men and woman who drive right up your backside without a care in the world and seem oblivious to the dangers of it!!!!!!!

Guest majortom

Thanks for all your replies, all honest and without no "righteous" remarks.

Apparently if you exceed the limit by more than 10ks as a P plater you get an automatic ban, but if your a fully qualified driver to get the same 6 months ban you have to exceed it by 45ks !!!. It doesn't make sense, and its obviously targeted at the P platers. They all seem to be sterotyped by the law.

Just felt that each case is not taken by its own merits. He intends to appeal and he will have to attend a Magistrates court here in SA, the nearest one being at Narrocote for him. the airforce should give him leave to attend, I hope !!

Thanks for all your replies, all honest and without no "righteous" remarks.

Apparently if you exceed the limit by more than 10ks as a P plater you get an automatic ban, but if your a fully qualified driver to get the same 6 months ban you have to exceed it by 45ks !!!. It doesn't make sense, and its obviously targeted at the P platers. They all seem to be sterotyped by the law.

Just felt that each case is not taken by its own merits. He intends to appeal and he will have to attend a Magistrates court here in SA, the nearest one being at Narrocote for him. the airforce should give him leave to attend, I hope !!

Yeah...Hannah told me about the 10k's.....phew...she was 1k short of being in the same situation as your boy...

All the best Jim....I really feel for him...

and also agree completely with what Nick11 has said!

Guest Libby1971

I would just like to point out that most people who drive right up arses are either middle aged women or P platers. The middle aged blokes who drive too close are also the ones who then get arsey and pull up next to me only to cut me up. Oh I saw the best number plate today...Adonis, for a bloke with a very bad case of combover, fake tan and stick on tattoos. Funniest thing I have seen EVER.

Your son was picked on coz he was a forces chap ;)

Guest Guest75

Very harsh I feel Jim.

Real bad luck for your son.

The P plate rules are strict - unfortunately they need to be with some of the Fat heads I've seen driving..

Your son was picked on coz he was a forces chap ;)

Hardly, if anythoing they are inclined to be more linient with people in the forces. The reason he got the punishment he did was because thats the rules.

Not saying I agree with them, and agree that it does seem very harsh. Think he is doing the right thing by appealing, and if he states a good enough case in court, it could be reduced to 2-3 demerit points, which would allow him to keep his licence. And i believe he is still allowed to drive pending his appeal, but don't quote me on that? Good luck with the proceedings though.

Shaun

Guest stufi1997

Hiya, :unsure:It's with some trepidation that I get involved with this debate as although it does seem harsh, it is a sad fact of life that young newly qualified drivers who drive too fast are more likely to crash. Although it does seem heavy handed I endorse any measures that attempt to protect them....the slower you go the less likely you are to have serious consequenses if you do have a mishap. I agree that new drivers should have the threat of serious consequences if they break the rules, when you're young you are invincible and it's always the case of it won't happen to me.

Having said all that I do hope your son gets his licence back on appeal, it's probably been enough of a scare to him to make sure he doesn't speed again at least for a while.

I'll apologise now if I've offended anyones sensibilities :obut this is one subject I really do feel strongly about.

Fiona

Guest majortom
Hiya, :unsure:It's with some trepidation that I get involved with this debate as although it does seem harsh, it is a sad fact of life that young newly qualified drivers who drive too fast are more likely to crash. Although it does seem heavy handed I endorse any measures that attempt to protect them....the slower you go the less likely you are to have serious consequenses if you do have a mishap. I agree that new drivers should have the threat of serious consequences if they break the rules, when you're young you are invincible and it's always the case of it won't happen to me.

Having said all that I do hope your son gets his licence back on appeal, it's probably been enough of a scare to him to make sure he doesn't speed again at least for a while.

I'll apologise now if I've offended anyones sensibilities :obut this is one subject I really do feel strongly about.

Fiona

Thanks again everyone.

Hey Fiona that was a good post and no need to apologise to anyone. Its funny really when Im out driving I tend to sterotype all the P platers, and most of us know what I mean. You look in the mirror and this car is weaving in and out of the traffic and when he passes you, you think to yourself "I knew it would be a P plater"

Foina your quite right that the stastitcs will tell us all that young drivers would be the worst traffic rule offenders, and stiffer penalties are warranted. But why oh why is a young kid allowed to get behind a V8 wheel in the first place. It dont make sense to me.........:wacko:

Guest stufi1997

I totally agree with you Jim.....if the car engine size was restricted or a restrictor put on the car (I realise that the bigger the car the safer they tend to be) that would make so much more sense......and if they all had to do it, well so much the better, then it's less likely you would inadvertantly creep over the speed limit. Some not so young drivers could do with the same penalties being imposed in my opinion

Cheers Fiona

Guest Django

Fiona,

Don't worry about upsetting anyone as I think we are all singing from the same hymn sheet on this one. I was a driving instructor back in the UK and I have seen and heard stuff that you wouldn't believe. I also know of a young 17 year old that passed his test on a Tuesday and he killed himself and his girlfriend on the Thursday racing his mate. I also know of however 17 year olds that drive very sensibly and do their best not to break speed limits or other rules. Not all 'P' platers are bad drivers but then nor are they all sensible ones either. Sadly there is no limit on engine size for newer drivers but then this will only delay the problem. As soon as they are old enough to drive a large car they will 'see what it can do'. :rolleyes:

Pete

I agree with sentiments of others about drivers who drive too close to the car infront it frightening to see people drive with only a car's space between each other at 90 kmph in the pouring rain last week I saw five car accidents in one day last week, they don't ajust their speed here to weather conditions or give people space to make mistake's, still I suppose its still not as bad as Italy.

Shame about the lad losing his licience how is he going to get about now?

Julie