• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Hallett Cove
      27 times
      Hi Libby

Is this a silly question (but then that's me ) are you the teacher who was also on WDU like the Ashtons, who chose to work at the college?

Hi Tyke

I had also seen that vote, thanks, we think as a family unit you have to give it 2 years minimum, we've been thinking of emigrating for 4 years its only been since 2005 & our holiday to Queensland & Sydney that finally helped 'me' agree with my OH - Adelaide here we come :)

Angela (43), Ashley (45), Bradley (17), Thomas (13) & Max our Spoodle (6) Visa Process 23/10/06 - granted 27/04/07. Now permanent residents as of Sept 09.
      Arrived 6th Sept 07 Living in Onkaparinga Hills. Building a new home 2014 Hallett Cove with Rivergum 2 Story & views back / front :D
      AGS Painting & Decorating PM me or email agspainting@adam.com.au

Reynella East, SA
      181 times
      Hi Angela

It isn't a silly question at all. Yes I am that teacher.

Hi All

I think the next series may be covering New Zealand (that's what we've been told).
      It is a difficult move and one you don't take lightly, but i do think that you need to give it two/three years.
      Whilst we were there in October both my best freind and a close family freind passed away, this really hit home and showed us just how far we were away. I could have quite easily got on the next flight back home. What made it worse was that we had been out of mobile range and uncontactable when my freind died so found out three days later. It was OK though i still managed to do the reading for my freind that we had always talked about together just recorded by modern technology.

On a brighter note though this didn't put us off and we are hoping to be out there by the end of April.

donna T
      I agree - 2 -3 years before taking any more major decisions.
      We started this process 18 months ago after much discussion and for us we have to view it as a big adventure. I couldn't put the kids and grandparents through all this if we were going to turn tail at the slightest setback. However tough the first few years I feel we owe it to ourselves to give it our best shot.
      Can't wait :D
      Jane - I am so sorry about your friend and family - that must have been really tough. Good for you for seeing it through

We must be the strange ones, our decision to move was a spur of the moment thing. I had a friend at work who emigrated to New Zealand a couple of years ago, and out of interest, before I went to bed one night, I fired off a CV to the company he is at.

By the time I woke up there was an email, they wanted to interview me and wanted to know when I could start.

That was about a month ago.

Well we gave it a couple of days, or was it hours thought and decided that OZ would be better with more scope for emplyment in the Aircraft world, so we contacted an agent and got the ball rolling.

Some ask if we have been there before, I say no need I grew up watching Home & Away, Flying Doctors and Mad Max films, I know what Oz is like. we decided on Adelaide, for the more temperate climate and the cheaper houses. We bought our house here in Belfast 8 years ago for 36000, it is now worth 180000, so we plan to be mortgage free, and I want to spend the rest on a gas fired barbie, a Holden Crewman Ute, and an Esky to go in the back.

Well gotta go and watch Lost on Sky, at least that is on over in Oz!

Hi Donna

Thanks for that

It did make us think but we also realised that we are only 24hrs away, we checked airlines and could have been on a flight within an hour (not expensive either). We also realised that Modern technology (if your not in the Flinders) is pretty amazing. I'm not saying that it was plain sailing and that i wasn't in tears most nights but with mobiles and skype we managed it.

However, in hindsight it perhaps showed in the filming that i didn't enjoy Adelaide. That would be wrong as it was the best experience ever and well worth it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234