North/South divide?

Guest lastboyscout

Guest lastboyscout

I know it may seem a funny thing to notice on here, I know I don`t post much but do come on here everyday, but I have detected a north/south divide, a bit like in England TBH:)

A few times on here, I`ve looked at where people are tending to want to move and everyone seems to be going to the south of Adelaide:( Is the north really bad or something? Were going there due to the fact thats where my job is, however I`ve asked a few times about peoples perception of a few areas we are looking at (Modbury,Modbury North, Para Hills) and no-one seems to want to say anything.(Either that or no-one on here comes from round there!!!!)

I find it a bit weird TBH ;)

Guest dglamoore

There is good and bad both North and South - we chose the south to be near the beach ;) There are a few members on here that live in the north so I am sure they will be on to help you out

Lisa:cool:

I know what you mean.

It does seem as though everyone wants to live in the south...I wouldn't let it worry you, come out and see for yourself. I'm sure every area has it's good and bad parts, and most of the Aussies we know are more into inter-state bashing than the north/south thing.

Perhaps it's part of being English - now there's an argument waiting to happen!*;)

LC

* I'm in a foul mood and I just don't care!

Guest ralph n bev

We fancy the North eastern side of Ad, we'd prefer the hills to the beach , and we want an older solid , double brick house too!!

But who knows till you see the place , we hope to decide when we do the reccie in september, i spend ages on opentoveiw.com looking at properties . But you cant tell till you see the area.

We might end up in Hallett Cove with everyone else!!;)

Bev

Guest Django

Tracey wants to be fairly close to the beach. I would prefer hills and neither of us want to live in a too urban enviroment. Therefore south looks better for us. Anywhere south of Bedford Park but north of McLaren Vale looks ideal. Its not a north/south divide thing its just looks the like theplace that ticks most boxes.;)

Pete

Guest soggy

I don't know if this is any use but the bellow quote came from the web site

http://www.livingin-australia.com/adelaide-real-estate.htm that compares the main cities in Australia. If you read the whole page it shows that both north and south has it's problems, as i'm sure every city does anywhere in the world.

"Generally speaking, the North and North West of the city are industrial - some areas might be described as "less desirable". An Adelaide newspaper, The Sunday Mail, has singled out some locations in the North and North West as the least desirable areas of the city. These were Angle Park, Athol Park, Ferryden Park, Mansfield Park, Woodville Gardens and Woodville North."

Simon

Guest mOZzy

good question!

but i do think it's got more to do with 'what everyone wants for themselves' - and to be near the beach IS a nice thing.

although i can see us head more north - mainly because of jobs really!

all will become clearer once we are actually there and can have a snoop around ;)

Guest geary11

hi, i live up north in craigmore and love it up here,the shops are only 5 minutes oneway and if i drive the other way i'm up in the hills and it's beautiful up there! we decided to move this way as hubbie is a bricklayer and since we've arrived he hasn't stopped with work. most people move down south to be near the beach, but as we bought a house with a pool we really don't miss that! as everyone on here has said it's what ticks the box for you!;)

urs

Guest dale_jo@
I know it may seem a funny thing to notice on here, I know I don`t post much but do come on here everyday, but I have detected a north/south divide, a bit like in England TBH:)

A few times on here, I`ve looked at where people are tending to want to move and everyone seems to be going to the south of Adelaide:( Is the north really bad or something? Were going there due to the fact thats where my job is, however I`ve asked a few times about peoples perception of a few areas we are looking at (Modbury,Modbury North, Para Hills) and no-one seems to want to say anything.(Either that or no-one on here comes from round there!!!!)

I find it a bit weird TBH ;)

Can`t really say there is a division,but i think people get defensive when their suburb is being spoken about negatively! I`m from the south and love it but it is all i really know. I know people who live in the north and they love it!!! Personal Opinion they both have adv/disadv

Guest thecartwrights

We live in Golden Grove and its a lovely area, as are the surrounding areas to us which are Wynn Vale, Greenwith, Gulfview Heights. We are 5-10 mins away from Tea Tree Plaza which is great and hills the other side of us. If we want to go to the beach its 20 mins away, but like Ursula said we too brought a house with a Pool so the beach for us is a rare but nice occurance.

I think unless you have been out here and looked at the areas for yourselves then you can't really decide by looking at houses on real estate.

When we came out on our reckie we stayed in Brighton and we decided we wanted to live in Flagstaff Hill in the South, we did not even look up north. But when got back to the Uk hubbie got offered a Job in the North and when we came out 4 months later for good we looked around the north eastern suburbs and loved Golden Grove (which I have to say has the "Worlds Best Address" sign as you enter and you can see why :o).

Most of the trade work is offered up north - only speaking from personal/friends experiences. Hubbie is a Mechanical Design Engineer.

So everyone is soooooo different and to be honest if we all liked the same thing then parts of Adelaide would be very full!

Sarah

Guest Django

Can anyone answer me a question coz its something I don't get.

I read in loads of posts on various forums........ "I don't miss the beach coz I have a pool" :confused:

Have you all got wave machines and big fans for that sea breeze???? Are your pools miles long so you can walk along them to get the same effect? The only similar thing is that you can swim in both and in a pool you have to keep turning around.

I can understand the concept of "I don't miss the swimming pool as I have one at home" but a beach?????

Not trying to wind anyone up but I just don't get it!!:confused:

Pete

Guest ralph n bev

Hi Sarah ,

You are in the area we are swaying towards! We also want a pool , like Ursula and yourself. We can afford that if we buy N/E.

Ursula , like the sound of Jason not being short of work up there too!!

We do like the beach , love it , who doesnt but personally id like to drive to it on a week end .

We do that here in Britain, infact were off to Whitby this Sunday and it will take us longer to get there , from Wakefield than it would to get to the beach from Wynne vale /Golden grove.

But don't everyboby decide to move North !!

Save a nice house for us!!

Bev

Guest lastboyscout

Same here Bev TBH, don`t everyone change your minds and move up north as we want some nice houses left for when we get there end of January;)

Thanks everyone for answering my original question , you`ve set my mind at rest!

I think that to find paradise you have to go through hell sometimes and as long as my family are by my side I know that we will get there eventually, you never know, paradise might be there upon our arrival:o

Again thanks for everyones thoughts and views:cool:

I read in loads of posts on various forums........ "I don't miss the beach cos I have a pool" Pete

We have a pool and for that authentic beach-y touch we've added a couple of Great Whites. The kids love it and seem to swim so much faster too.:D

Me? I love both..but it's easier to walk the dogs on the beach. Just my opinion of course...

LC

Guest thecartwrights
Hi Sarah ,

You are in the area we are swaying towards! We also want a pool , like Ursula and yourself. We can afford that if we buy N/E.

Ursula , like the sound of Jason not being short of work up there too!!

We do like the beach , love it , who doesnt but personally id like to drive to it on a week end .

We do that here in Britain, infact were off to Whitby this Sunday and it will take us longer to get there , from Wakefield than it would to get to the beach from Wynne vale /Golden grove.

But don't everyboby decide to move North !!

Save a nice house for us!!

Bev

Hi Bev

Have pm'd you too.

Hope you have a gr8 time at Whitby, say hello to it from us :o

I am sure there will be some nice houses left for you when you come over, just keep an eye on real estate and make notes of all the areas you like - i can always help you if need be.

Sarah

Guest Russfamily

well what a thread, this ones got people talking, personally i think that there is a north /south divide thing going on but people dont want to admit it. South seems to be the most popular area to settle i think its a word of mouth thing, everyone reads the thread and decides if x is heading down there then i think we should and thats how a suburb takes off and prices rise. Look what happened to Perth most immigrants from the uk have headed in the perth direction and have helped to start the housing boom. 99% of the people that have posted on here are either heading north or south no one hardly ever mentions the eastern or western areas, you are all brave enough to uproot yourselves and familys and travel 12000 miles for a new life so check out as much of Adelaide and south Australia as possible before making your move on a house. perhaps you can look for an area u like first then a job thats not to far away and then buy or rent. dont count out the remote areas like Roxby downs places like these offer the most amazing experiences things that u can never get in built up areas

Guest Django
personally i think that there is a north /south divide thing going on but people dont want to admit it. South seems to be the most popular area to settle i think its a word of mouth thing, everyone reads the thread and decides if x is heading down there then i think we should

Hmmmmmm I don't think there is. I think you are looking for something that really isn't there.

I have made some goodfriends on this forum and the majority of them that have definately made a decission, moved or bought a property in the north, northeast or east of Adelaide yet we are deffo going south. It is purely what our research has told us is right for us as a family not what people we know have done. I cannot believe that anyone would move somewhere purely coz someone else has.

Guest geary11

I read in loads of posts on various forums........ "I don't miss the beach coz I have a pool" :confused:

Have you all got wave machines and big fans for that sea breeze???? Are your pools miles long so you can walk along them to get the same effect? The only similar thing is that you can swim in both and in a pool you have to keep turning around.

I can understand the concept of "I don't miss the swimming pool as I have one at home" but a beach?????

Not trying to wind anyone up but I just don't get it!!:confused:

Pete

the beach is lovely and sandy!! and it's that sand up my a** that i hate,so i prefer to just jump in the pool where there is no great white's! although there's always the danger still lurching of my hubbie bombing in the pool! :P each to there own!

urs

Guest Dippy Dora

We lived in th north of England and have settled in the South of Adelaide and its funny but the only people that have mentioned nth/sth devide have been remarks from english southerners hey Lazy cow.

Guest Russfamily
the only people that have mentioned nth/sth devide have been remarks from english southerners .

its a good thread posted by some one whos not in the south of England

We lived in th north of England and have settled in the South of Adelaide and its funny but the only people that have mentioned nth/sth devide have been remarks from english southerners hey Lazy cow.

The divide only applies if you let it. It is not possible to compare the difference in North and South, Costs differ enough from one town to another let alone across counties. I wish i was paying your council tax

Guest CARMEN

I Don't Really Care What Kind Of Adelaider I Become As Long As I Become One - I'm Sick To Death Of My Coronation Street View And Will Just Go Where A Good Hospital Will Give Me A Job!!

I Don't Really Care What Kind Of Adelaider I Become As Long As I Become One - I'm Sick To Death Of My Coronation Street View And Will Just Go Where A Good Hospital Will Give Me A Job!!

I could not agree more, the nail on the head there!

Guest dglamoore

Why do some people want there to be a north south divide :rolleyes: As far as I know everyone just wants to live in Adelaide - does it really matter if it is north of the city or south? I am just happy to be here ;)

Lisa:cool: