One year in.............

Liz and Kris UK

Hi everyone,

We just thought we would post as we have made it to the one year mark.

We arrived in Adelaide after tearful goodbyes but with high hopes of creating a better future for ourselves. It didn’t start well, after a long flight with no entertainment system we arrived at the residential wing at the RAH it was like cell block H but it was free! We soon found a rental in Glenelg which we love, especially how convenient it is with the lovely walks to Brighton and Henley.

Since being here we feel we have achieved a lot, Kris has passed his driving test, (thanks Dan) I have finished the extra modules in my Diploma in Childcare and Kris is studying a grad diploma in orthopaedics. However we feel the biggest achievement is making so many wonderful friends, in a relatively short space of time, many through this website!

It's not always easy, we do still get homesick, we both miss our family and friends and Kris misses his beloved Coventry City. We have been lucky that we have had quite a few visitors and have had the opportunity to explore some of what Adelaide has to offer. They now realise why we are here and will certainly be coming back for a visit.

Since moving here we have learnt to be more relaxed and things take time. If we were to give any advice it would be to take your time as there will be laughs and tears along the way. It can be very tough on your relationship as you are stressed by the move and only have each other to begin with. I would also say you have to want to come to Australia 100% and not just want to escape the Uk.

We are not quite ready to call Australia home yet but well on the way. We are both excited about the future and hope to explore more of Australia this year. Once again thanks to all are fab friends, who are now more like family (sorry guys): you have made the past year memorable. Good luck to anyone making the big jump.

Liz and Kris

PS thanks to everyone on the site for their advice over the past year.

Guest Andrew&Ren

Great post...congrats on your first year!

I have also come out here as a Non-Driver (Ren), can i ask how easy/expensive it was to pass your test here?? Ive had lessons and can drive but will probably need a few refresher lessons etc... Any advice would be fab!

Congrats again on your 1 yr mark and look forward to meeting you on the 20th;) x

Great post...congrats on your first year!

I have also come out here as a Non-Driver (Ren), can i ask how easy/expensive it was to pass your test here?? Ive had lessons and can drive but will probably need a few refresher lessons etc... Any advice would be fab!

Congrats again on your 1 yr mark and look forward to meeting you on the 20th;) x

It was quite a simple process and I think the lessons were about 100 dollars for a 2 hour lesson. You have to take your theory test to get your learners licence and have 50 hours of driving in your logbook and you can either do a test or do a logbook with an instruter. You can get a drivers handbook from the marion for 5 dollars that has all the info in it.

Kris

Guest Vicks&Stu

Hey really glad you have enjoyed your first year.

We are glad to have met you both and have had some great times with you over the last few months at BBQs and on nights out - here's to lots more!

Vicks&Stu x

Guest the4hopes

Well done both of you, it doesnt seem over a year since you were waiting for your visa. I agree you have to be patient and know everything will be fine. Expect change its usually for the best if you let it.

Guest Lulujim

Great post - you are always so positive - it's always lovely to read. :)

I am just about to start the extra modules for the Diploma, so might PM you if I get stuck!

Hope to meet you one day,

Alexis x

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Great post, nice to hear peoples thoughts especially positive ones. I hope we will be able to post something similar in a year.

Jo and Tom x

Guest The Pottertons

Great post guys....a pleasure to read. Really pleased things are so positive. You really seem like glass half full people!

I also agree with your point about wanting to live in Oz and not just escape the UK. I think that is crucial advice!!!

How did you find having visitors so soon into your move? Have been wondering about whether it would be unsettling or settling!!?!!

Congratulations and long may your adventure continue!!! Yvonne and Mark x

We have been lucky to have a few visitors, it can be hard for the first week or so when people first leave and since Kris's nan and grandad have left we have been a bit homesick as they are in their 70's and said they might not come back for another visit. However it does get easier and its definitely worth it!

Liz and Kris