Permanent residency!

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

Guest darlo 2 adelaide

Hi all.

Just wanted to say that we arrived here on 6th Feb, 2009 and certainly hit the ground running. We're on a sponsored visa which has seriously crippled us financially due to tax and no childcare benefits etc, so to all of you offered this visa, think long and hard about it and work out any possible alternatives. It's been really hard but enjoyable too. I think I've been sucked into managing problems etc so much I lost track of the reasons why we came here, until I handed in my permanent residency visa application forms (which will help my financial situation), and suddenly remembered why we came here! I suddenly felt excited again as I had done when I'd posted the other visa off. This came as a great surprise that I hadn't really thought of the P.R. visa in this way, more of a means to an end. Anyway, enough of the rambling, but I've only been here 4 months and had very quickly lost track of my goals/ambitions of living here in australia. SAD EH?

Hopefully the next four months will be easier, and I plan to enjoy them more than the last four months.

Sarah.:wideeyed::wideeyed:;):err:

Guest caoimhe

We are on a 496 temp visa with no family tax benefit, we just bought a house (because the mortgage we needed was less than paying rent) and didn't qualify for 1st time buyers grant. I so agree with you about coming out on these visa's when you have kids. We are really struggling. Can I ask though what you mean about the tax implications

Guest covfan71
Hi all.

Just wanted to say that we arrived here on 6th Feb, 2009 and certainly hit the ground running. We're on a sponsored visa which has seriously crippled us financially due to tax and no childcare benefits etc, so to all of you offered this visa, think long and hard about it and work out any possible alternatives. It's been really hard but enjoyable too. I think I've been sucked into managing problems etc so much I lost track of the reasons why we came here, until I handed in my permanent residency visa application forms (which will help my financial situation), and suddenly remembered why we came here! I suddenly felt excited again as I had done when I'd posted the other visa off. This came as a great surprise that I hadn't really thought of the P.R. visa in this way, more of a means to an end. Anyway, enough of the rambling, but I've only been here 4 months and had very quickly lost track of my goals/ambitions of living here in australia. SAD EH?

Hopefully the next four months will be easier, and I plan to enjoy them more than the last four months.

Sarah.:wideeyed::wideeyed:;):err:

We are coming on a 475 Temp Visa and are fully aware of the lack of benefits. (God i wish the UK was this strict). How much do you think you are down each month in whilst in Oz.

Also how have you managed to apply for PR after only 3 months. I too would also like to know what you mean when you say you have been crippiled by tax.

Guest soggy
We are coming on a 475 Temp Visa and are fully aware of the lack of benefits. (God i wish the UK was this strict). How much do you think you are down each month in whilst in Oz.

Also how have you managed to apply for PR after only 3 months. I too would also like to know what you mean when you say you have been crippiled by tax.

Hi,

I seem to remember when doing all my research that if you can get sponsored by a suitable company you can get a PR visa, you would then have to stay with that company for 2 years. I was hoping to do this before going off in another direction.

Simon

Guest caoimhe
Hi,

I seem to remember when doing all my research that if you can get sponsored by a suitable company you can get a PR visa, you would then have to stay with that company for 2 years. I was hoping to do this before going off in another direction.

Simon

Do you know how long this visa takes? my O/H's company have said they would sponoser him. Our problem is he is not fussed on the job but would stick with it for PR as we are struggling financially. Although if it takes a year to come through and he has to commit to them for 2 years after that we maybe better off sticking with the visa we have now:arghh:

Do you know how long this visa takes? my O/H's company have said they would sponoser him. Our problem is he is not fussed on the job but would stick with it for PR as we are struggling financially. Although if it takes a year to come through and he has to commit to them for 2 years after that we maybe better off sticking with the visa we have now:arghh:

We are on a 475 and also finding it hard without tax credits etc. We are down approx £700 per month (we have 3 small kids and now we don't get maintenance for our eldest either). BUT, its not that we can't live on what hubby earns - we just can't save any money! We have only been here 12 weeks so it's early days and we knew it would be hard.

We are going to try and get the RSMS visa which you can get on a 475 if you are employer sponsored. Not sure if we'll be able to yet as hubby's work will have to agree. Once he has been there for 3 mths, he should be due for a pay rise, but we are going to try and ask for sponsorship instead. It would make a big difference to us! Not just in terms of benefits, but also home owners grant and my future studies etc. Still, at the end of the day, if we have to wait the 2 yrs then we'll wait the 2 yrs. It's really not that long in the scheme of things.

Guest Deb17

Believe me, when you're living it and struggling, 2 years IS a long time to wait.

Can the mods please try and get rid of this spammer who keeps posting rubbish about wedding dresses? Please?

Guest darlo 2 adelaide
We are on a 496 temp visa with no family tax benefit, we just bought a house (because the mortgage we needed was less than paying rent) and didn't qualify for 1st time buyers grant. I so agree with you about coming out on these visa's when you have kids. We are really struggling. Can I ask though what you mean about the tax implications

Hi.

I've applied for my permanent residency by the sponsored route again, but have to sign another two year contract with them. This only really means I'm extending it by about six months in total and by doing it so quick (from the previous visa) its just swapped over to the permanent visa without going through all the medical screening etc again, becuase of the quick time span. I had to wait 3 months just so I proved to my employer that I wasn't a total moron, and that they wanted to have me as an employee for the next two years. I had to pay $2105 for the visa, and have an appraisal etc (but this was for my employers sake). Apparently, they only take about two weeks to come back (so the secretray says), becuase it will be fast tracked becuase I work for the government you see. I've ben told that you get 50% of your childcare fees back every 3 months on the P.R visa, which will give me a lot of money too.

The tax implications are huge. I was taxed at the usual employe rate until they received my tax file number, and now am paying approximately $300 more per fortnight all becuase of my stupid visa number! They class my visa number as the equivalent of having two jobs, thus taxing me nearly an emergency tax rate. It's crippling me! Anyway, that's why I need my P.R. The medicare reciprocal agreement is rubbish too, becuase of the stupid visa. I had to pay $200 for some x-rays and didn't get anything back. Its crazy, that's not reciprocal! Anyway, enough ranting, but please be warned those of you applying for the 457 visa, its dodgey. For the sake of a few months I would carefully consider all your options.

Sarah

Hi Sarah.

Not sure what they're playing at with your tax, did you fill out the tax form yourself and if so did you tick the box that asked if you are a resident for tax purposes (or something like that). I am on the 457 and get taxed the same as everyone else. Think you could be due a nice little rebate there if they've messed up.xx

Guest caoimhe
Hi Sarah.

Not sure what they're playing at with your tax, did you fill out the tax form yourself and if so did you tick the box that asked if you are a resident for tax purposes (or something like that). I am on the 457 and get taxed the same as everyone else. Think you could be due a nice little rebate there if they've messed up.xx

This is right Sarah, residency for visa and residency for tax purposes are 2 different things.

Have a look at this website and take note of the following

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/64131.htm

If you are visiting Australia for more than six months and for most of that time live at the same place and have or establish ties in the local community, then you are an Australian for tax purposes

If you have NOT ticked the box on the tax form stating you are a residency for tax purposes then you can get a form from the tax office to change it and you should get your overpaid tax back when you do your return in July

Guest Lulujim
Hi.

I had to pay $2105 for the visa

Sarah

Hi - I had heard that when you apply for PR after being on another visa (we're on a 475) that you get a refund for some of your original visa costs? Do you know anything about this? Thanks, Alexis

Guest mercury
Hi - I had heard that when you apply for PR after being on another visa (we're on a 475) that you get a refund for some of your original visa costs? Do you know anything about this? Thanks, Alexis

Hi,

If I am not mistaken, you don't get a refund if you are changing to the 887 (permanent visa) from the 475 (after 2 yrs in regional Australia and working full time for at least 1 year). You currently pay A$195 to change to the 887 which is permanent.

If you have dependents who are 18 and over without functional English, that is another matter. See www.immi.gov.au

Guest caoimhe

I think if you are changing from 475 to Employer nomination scheme or Regional sponsored migration scheme then you do get a refund from your original visa but if you are applying for PR after fulfilling the criteria from you 475 then this is a new visa which you have to pay the full amount for.

Guest Lulujim
I think if you are changing from 475 to Employer nomination scheme or Regional sponsored migration scheme then you do get a refund from your original visa but if you are applying for PR after fulfilling the criteria from you 475 then this is a new visa which you have to pay the full amount for.

Thanks - that's what I thought - just wasn't 100% sure - do you know how much the refund's for? Thank you! ;)

Guest caoimhe
Thanks - that's what I thought - just wasn't 100% sure - do you know how much the refund's for? Thank you! ;)

Think you only end up paying about $300

• 2 weeks later...
Guest covfan71
We are on a 475 and also finding it hard without tax credits etc. We are down approx £700 per month (we have 3 small kids and now we don't get maintenance for our eldest either). BUT, its not that we can't live on what hubby earns - we just can't save any money! We have only been here 12 weeks so it's early days and we knew it would be hard.

We are going to try and get the RSMS visa which you can get on a 475 if you are employer sponsored. Not sure if we'll be able to yet as hubby's work will have to agree. Once he has been there for 3 mths, he should be due for a pay rise, but we are going to try and ask for sponsorship instead. It would make a big difference to us! Not just in terms of benefits, but also home owners grant and my future studies etc. Still, at the end of the day, if we have to wait the 2 yrs then we'll wait the 2 yrs. It's really not that long in the scheme of things.

Hi,

how may i ask are you £700 down a month with 3 kids. i have 2 kids and in total only receive about £200 in benefits etc.

Guest caoimhe
Hi,

how may i ask are you £700 down a month with 3 kids. i have 2 kids and in total only receive about £200 in benefits etc.

It depends are what you both earn and what age the kids are