Nearly 3 weeks in ......

Guest brandyslad

Guest brandyslad

Hey everyone,

Can't believe we are here three weeks and I am only getting onto the forum now!

Have been so busy and every time I get onto the internet it is to look something up or check emails etc.

Well we landed on the 22nd May. We were picked up at the airport by our greeter who is excellent, we are still in touch with him and his wife and there introduced to some other couples too which was great. Anyway, the greeter was driving us round when I got a phonecall and I was offered a job and asked could I start Monday. I was delighted as it's in my line of work, the money is good and I could not believe our luck. Have to do some late shifts but I don't mind.

My OH spent the first two weeks going through the papers, driving to businesses and handing in his resume. Any agencies he contacted never came back to him, he went to a few interviews, they never called back. But then on Tuesday one of the places he dropped his resume into, called him and asked him to come in and he started yesterday, it is only ten mins from our house too. Not sure how others have found it but we think that making sure your resume is up to scratch and calling to businesses is the way to go. A lot of places told him things had slowed down and it was a bad time of year as coming up to the end of their financial year and they want to keep budgets down but we kept hoping and it only takes one person to say yes.

As for Adelaide, we really like it, the people are friendly, lots of nice areas. We went for OAA and got a unit in Oaklands Park, it is great, cheap, in a good part of the city and we are pleased with it.

I am slowing but surely getting to grips with shopping etc. Meat is a lot cheaper but packaged stuff like your biscuits, funsize bars, crisps etc are dearer. Orange squash is the worst!! LOL. But I find it balances out and is more or less the same as the UK only we can eat more meat here.

Second cars are outrageously expensive, we had to block UK prices out of our minds just bite the bullet and get something. We went for a Holden Commodore, she is LPG so fuel is only 50 cent a litre, I suppose this is the way it evens out price wise.

As for bringing stuff, duvet covers, sheets, towels etc are more expensive here so are simple things like dressing gowns, pyjamas and clothes in general. The quality is not as good in many clothes shops but sure I will just have to be canny on eBay!

We are happy so far, well settled and thanking our lucky stars that we got jobs so easily.

Guest Lisado

Well hello you

I was wondering how you were getting along.

Thats fantastic news on the job front - so pleased for you.

Woulr you recommend OAA?

We'll be over soon

Lisa

Guest caoimhe

We live in Oaklands Park if you ever fancy a quick beer in the Warradale Hotel.

Dan

Beware of Eamonn....he like a beer but is known for getting stuck into the Jamesons too:biglaugh:

Guest brandyslad
Beware of Eamonn....he like a beer but is known for getting stuck into the Jamesons too:biglaugh:

LOL, what about the permapine??? LOL

Guest kangomik

it takes a long time to stop converting back to quids.

Excellent start, the art is to just keep plugging away.

Reccomend OAA someone asked...... YES...... ok its cheap, and not the best... BUT its cheap and really does help when your head is messed up.

We can only apologise for the rain in your first three weeks. It will be sunny and blue soon, even if a little cold.

Guest CHORLEY GIRL

Hi welcome back,

wondered how you were getting on and if you had settled. Great you both got jobs seems like everything going well excellent!!

Jo and Tom x

Guest brandyslad

Yep we would recommend the OAA, ours is good, in a great area. No probs with the neighbours and it saves a lot of money moving straight into somewhere with everything already there. The washing machine is nearly new, there is an iron, gas cooker, electric fryer, kettle, spare light bulbs ... everything you could want.

I vacuum packed a duvet cover, pillow cases and two towels, I am really glad I did as that kind of thing is very expensive. We saw some duvet sets on sale yesterday for $150 and they were the kind you could pick in Argos for a third of the price. We didn't ship anything but I would say if you are going to, put everything in.

We have bought a Holden Commodore and are loving the fact that she is dual fuel and it is 48c a litre for gas!! We were not accepted for finance on a car as we had not been here long enough even though I brought copies of my work contract and we were willing to put down $3000 deposit and only needed to finance $7000 so just be aware you may have to pay cash for a car. We were told when we 1st looked at it that we would have no probs with finance, in fact when we were 'car shopping' several dealers told us no probs.

Another invaluable investment was a Tom Tom for $170 from the Good Guys, we got lost quite badly a couple of times when we first arrived and for the stress this has saved us, it is worth it's weight in gold!!

Eating out is way cheaper, we had a meal yesterday and it was $22 for the two of us. Drink is more expensive so i think we are going to have to convert to wine as we have been advised its the cheapest way to get intoxicated!!

All in all we are really enjoying it so far, it has been worth all the hassle and costs.