One year on....

carryon

Hi all, it,s one year since we arrived and boy has it gone quick. We had everything sorted within the first 4 months including buying a house, nothing has been any hassle, just get stuck in and get on with it! Hafwyn started work at Flinders 4 weeks after we arrived and really enjoys her work, alot less stressful, apart from some of the shift patterns,(She is on an 8 day stretch now, including nights.) I spent the first 5 months working on the house, but since have got a part time job as Handyman at the local nursery, and do some delivery work for ''Cheap as chips'', and odd jobs here and there, well it keeps me busy! The kids love it here, have loads of friends always out doing something or other, Cerys started off at Aldinga school but we weren't happy with the lack of work and some of the disruptive kids so we changed and she now goes to Southern Vales Christian college, its much better and more structured and she loves it there too! Have made some really good mates as well , actually more social than in the UK as i was always working and at weekends just wanted to chill. One major bonus is that my wife and i have been out together for meals /walks/ bike rides, more in the last year than the previous 10 years, as i only work when i want to if she is on a day off we do something together!

We have found the cost of living over the year to be about the same as UK overall. We had 20 years left on our mortgage but now have increased it up to 30 again so we could comfortably afford the repayments and had a bit over for extras, small sacrifice when we see where we live, 3 min walk to the lovely Port Willunga beach, and the kids and i really got some use out of it this summer. So all in all a wonderful year, love it all, if its what you want you will make it work, dont sit back and expect everything to fall into your lap, get out and grab it, this is a great country and we al feel at home.....and i for onr will be supporting Australia in next years World cup.....Up the Socceroos...................

Simon:D

Guest Django

Great post. What a fantastic attitude as regarding work and lifestyle. We would be doing more but the aussie due in August put pay to that.:biglaugh:

Sounds like you have settled well. Here's to the next 12 months.:D

Pete

.....and i for onr will be supporting Australia in next years World cup.....Up the Socceroos...................Simon:D

Great post, all except for the last bit - I'd really love to say the same, but omg, did you see how they played against Bahrain??!!!! After watching the qualifying game between Netherlands and Norway, if the Socceroos end up playing Netherlands, well, they'll be lucky if they touch the ball in the game, let alone score!!

Glad you like it here, it's a smidgeon prettier than Witham I reckon!

Diane