6 weeks in fantastic

Guest leewilson

Guest leewilson

We arrived in Adelaide at the start of June and it was none stop rain. We were met at the airport by a couple called Dennis and Reanie who were our meet and greet. As it turned out they were also our next door neighbours and a fantastic couple they took us shopping and also Dennis took us up to get a rental car. When we got to our rental in Christie Downs we where a little worried by what people had told us about the area but although it was freezing and a little run down we never came across any trouble at all. The only trouble we had was getting in our rental when we lost our key ($120 cost to a smiling locksmith).

We did a lot in our first couple of weeks and although it is good to get everything out of the way quickly i think we done too much and it was a little stressful. We had trouble finding a rental and looking back it must have been tough on our two lads 12 and 7. We eventually settled on Aldinga because it was actually easy getting a rental their. We are now glad we did as it is fantastic especially on the beach! There are lots of land projects about and we have bought a nice block on the Sunday estate.

I have been lucky with my trade and i had two interviews on arrival and was offered two jobs i took one and have been there for 3 weeks but have just landed a new job which looks perfect.

We have all settled in really well the kids are at the two main soccer teams in the area and are loving life. Today we even went fishing down at port noarlunga our first time and i think we are now hooked (sorry).

The only area we where a little disappointed with was the secondary schools but to be honest they are on a par with the schools in the uk i guess. Our two are still in primary school and Willunga primary school is fantastic the whole aspect of the school from teaching to facilities are very good.

I must say though before we got over here we heard things about shopping and cost of living etc... that were negative but in our opinion way off the mark we are actually sorry we shipped over a lot of our stuff because the choices here are brilliant. If anyone tries to tell you you can't shop here for furniture etc... wait and see when you get here.

And then their are the Australian people i kept hearing all this how nice and friendly they are well every word is true. They could not be more helpful. Like today we where fishing and struggling a bit a guy comes over and teaches us how to cast and even gave us hooks n stuff (still the only thing we cought was a cold).

Good luck to all of you and make sure you stay positive in those first few weeks.

Lee (sorry the post goes on a little)

Guest mOZzy

hello lee and family!

great reading your first post!! thanks for taking the time!

it sounds like you are settling in really nicely and it's good to hear that things are not 'as negative as some point them out to be'!

where did you start off your househunt? and what shops are good for furniture shopping?

you see, we want to know all these silly details ;)

glad you've found a hobby already too - always nice to do something with your kids!

and good to hear that aussies are as nice as described!

Guest leewilson

DO NOT listen to all the rubbish people come out with negativity where is it i don't see any i have met people who love it here not one person has had a bad word to say about the place we decided to ignore the depressing posts of doom and gloom (oh dear i suppose i am upsetting people) we have not had time to post because it is so good here time just flys by. we heard all sorts before we came usually from the same people. If you want to give your kids a great refreshing life this is the place to be. Well for us anyway. It is so easy to post negativity i hope peoples posts don't worry anyone because they did worry us until we arrived!!!!!!!

good luck

Lee

Guest leewilson
DO NOT listen to all the rubbish people come out with negativity where is it i don't see any i have met people who love it here not one person has had a bad word to say about the place we decided to ignore the depressing posts of doom and gloom (oh dear i suppose i am upsetting people) we have not had time to post because it is so good here time just flys by. we heard all sorts before we came usually from the same people. If you want to give your kids a great refreshing life this is the place to be. Well for us anyway. It is so easy to post negativity i hope peoples posts don't worry anyone because they did worry us until we arrived!!!!!!!

good luck

Lee

Harvey normans and le cornu massive choice but DON'T pay the asking price bargain with them.

Guest JPT07

Hi Lee, Great to hear your views on things. We've been looking at houses in Aldinga beach (on the net) but no many people seem to talk about this area much, does it have good amenities near by i.e schools, shops, cinmea complex etc? Thanks, Lorna.

:)

Great post Lee, I am really pleased to hear you have settled so quickly & buying some land WOW that was quick !

Any tips on how to keep 2 boys happy during the early days would be greatly appreciated, my boys will be 10 & 7 when we arrive, I am not looking forward to having to get the 'necessary' things sorted but it has to be done.

Angela

Guest dglamoore

Great post Lee and good to see you are settling well :o It is nice in Aldinga and the beach is lovely - just along a bit from us :) Greg likes fishing so you will probably bump into him on Noarlunga jetty one day ;)

Agree with negative posts - we found the same thing. We had read lots of things about driving, cost of living etc and it has just not been true once we have got here and experienced it ourselves. Also shopped til we dropped in Le Cornu!!!!

Lisa:cool: