Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcet have both died

bill

Why has this thread been closed? I thought it was a good debate, and despite a little bit of tension, most contributions, including the more recent ones, were thoughtful and forthright. Is there something wrong with passionate debate that somebody in power doesn't like? Is it only one person's decision to close a thread, or do you have to have a consensus amongst moderators in order to do so?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Libby1971

Bill, I did say that the thread was being closed, and that this had happened in the past and that whenever the mods close a thread in repsonse to requests as well as general tone, we get attacked as preventing discussion and sharing of opinions.

Here we go again...

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

One mod has just quit becuase they are sick of it. And this one is about to as well.

Guest Libby1971

Having a debate section won't change anything. The threads will get personal, overly critical, tempers will rise, comments get increasingly bitchy, someone starts reading something else into it, mods come in to calm things down or try to, get attacked for siding with someone, or get attacked for the way the wind is blowing that day, told they are preventing free speech and that they are all in little groups and unless you are a friend of theirs, your right to post is being taken away from you.

Everyone feels uncomfortable, stressed, p*ssed off, and wonders why they spend their free time on this site just to get criticised.

For me, this is one time too many. I'm off. I'll be free to post on here exactly what I think as previously I've been told that I should not post my honest opinion as I am a mod and have responsibilities.

Guest graandjac

I'll stir things up a little

A spokesman for the death of Michael Jackson said although it was very hot that day dont blame it on the sunshine.......:goofy::shocked::swoon:;)

Guest jorose
I'll stir things up a little

A spokesman for the death of Michael Jackson said although it was very hot that day dont blame it on the sunshine.......:goofy::shocked::swoon:

Don't blame it on the moonlight :wubclub:

Guest graandjac

:biglaugh:....just going to get it in quick...........he was never found guilty of any child abuse .......and the facts do say after 5 weeks on the stand the mother was proven to be setting the whole thing up.

Now it can start all over again....sorry Libby:p

Having a debate section won't change anything. The threads will get personal, overly critical, tempers will rise, comments get increasingly bitchy, someone starts reading something else into it, mods come in to calm things down or try to, get attacked for siding with someone, or get attacked for the way the wind is blowing that day, told they are preventing free speech and that they are all in little groups and unless you are a friend of theirs, your right to post is being taken away from you.

Everyone feels uncomfortable, stressed, p*ssed off, and wonders why they spend their free time on this site just to get criticised.

For me, this is one time too many. I'm off. I'll be free to post on here exactly what I think as previously I've been told that I should not post my honest opinion as I am a mod and have responsibilities.

Hi Libby,

I'm sorry if I have caused this reaction. I never saw your post about closing the thread and looking back on it, I think that the reaction of Liz and kris UK is wrong. This is the News and Gossip forum, and nobody has to read it.

Being a moderator is no doubt an onerous and time-consuming responsibility. I for one appreciate the necessity of having mods in case things get nasty. I just didn't think that was the case here, there were no personal insults, no animosity, just debate.

Come back Libby, you did an important and good job. I mean that.

Bill

I never asked for the thread to be closed, just said threads had been closed for less.

Kris

Hi Libby,

I'm sorry if I have caused this reaction. I never saw your post about closing the thread and looking back on it, I think that the reaction of Liz and kris UK is wrong. This is the News and Gossip forum, and nobody has to read it.

Being a moderator is no doubt an onerous and time-consuming responsibility. I for one appreciate the necessity of having mods in case things get nasty. I just didn't think that was the case here, there were no personal insults, no animosity, just debate.

Come back Libby, you did an important and good job. I mean that.

Bill

The thread was closed for a very good reason and that is if it breaks fthe forum rules and gets personal - that is the reason why. It is a very emotive subject no less and has some stong opinions on things, howveer when it get to the point when things get personal and folk are offended - that is not on.

Tim

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Its an open forum, if you dont want to know what someone has written in response to something you have writen then dont read it. Or better still dont write something that you think might get picked on if you dont think you can take it!

I didnt see anything wrong in the debate and think there sould be a debate section, with the heading "if you cant stand the heat then dont enter!" That way those of us who like a debate can do so and those that dont, dont have to join in?

With the whole MJ thing he was definatly a subject to debate, he had to have been the most interesting character in the entertainment industry.

Did he didnt he? I dont know I only have the media reports to go and we know how unreliable they can be, that and the fact he wasnt convicted.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Perhaps a new thread on the matter is required - wehat was happeening was folk were having a pop at each other , which is not really on on a public forum.

Tim

I didnt see anyone popping at people just what they had said which is surely what a debate is about?

There's going to be even more controversy now as it comes out about the cocktail of drugs he was on - many opiate based - and the fact that his doctor is being questioned by police about the death, with his lawyer present...... controversy in life, controversy in death...

PS I thought the original thread had been closed to enable correct spelling of the name!

I wasn't aware that the thread had been closed and it certainly wasn't my intention to force the mods into resigning. For my part, I apologise if I caused any offence to anyone, I think most people who know me will agree I'm not the sort of person who sets out to wind people up but I do get very emotive about this sort of subject. I still stand by my opinions but I'm sorry that the mods felt they had no option but to resign.

Guest Nick11

Okay guys.

I asked Libby if she would close the thread.

As you guys said the thread was an emotive issue and for all those close to me - you will know why.

We could have gone on forever - did he/didn't he? And I take some of the blame for that - that the thread veered off course - for which I am very sorry.

My daughter - who is a poms member had also started to read them and I didn't think we were going down the right road.

I am not sure which other mod has resigned - but I would ask Libby to reconsider and come back. She is a great mod and her threads - although some people get upset at them - only echoe what a passionate and heart on her sleeve girl she is.

Guest Brummie

There are millions and millions of good and bad people in the world today......and we are all going to die one day......there is only one Judge.....GOD.....and we will all be judged on what we have done in our lives. FULL STOP

Guest cazzie

I agree with Sarahsmartiepants, it would be good to have a debate thread for those of us who like to talk into the night about life, love and the universe. Maybe the site should also have a child protection filter so that they can only read suitable threads - mind you, some of the adults swear on line and I don't think that's right either, so we can't please all the people all of the time.

Libby, most folk will say come back and moderate - I say it's a shame that this thread (and maybe others?) have lead you to feel this way, but maybe moderation is a thankless task. Maybe we should all take it in turns? Anyway, come back Libby!

RIP MJ and FF.

Guest the4hopes

Maybe it's best for someone to start a separate forum for debates, or a debate group where people can get together face to face! I thought this forum was to help each other moving to and living in Adelaide (or have I lost the plot with my permanent jet lag!!?)

Guest Django
Maybe it's best for someone to start a separate forum for debates, or a debate group where people can get together face to face! I thought this forum was to help each other moving to and living in Adelaide (or have I lost the plot with my permanent jet lag!!?)

Spot on. When I suggested this same thing to UK football supporters that wanted their own section I got abuse.

This is a migration forum. I can understand members wanting to debate other things and this is what 'The Barbie' section is for.

Pete

Spot on. When I suggested this same thing to the 'I can't live without the Premiership' brigade I got abuse.

This is a migration forum. I can understand members wanting to debate other things and this is what 'The Barbie' section is for.

Pete

Whose rule is that one then Pete?