Temp Visa 495

Guest weesp

Guest weesp

Just to let you all know some more about the 495 visa.

After being here a year and thankfully OH found work, my eldest son (17) went back to school. He started a vet course at the school Electrotech (sparkie), only to be told that he can't get an apprenticeship at the end.l We then applied to TAFE, he went for the test, which he passed and then we received the letter asking about our visa. We sent the copy off to them only to be told that he cant get into TAFE for an Electrician or Plumber or any Tradie as WE ARE TEMPORARY .

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!:arghh:

How bloody frustrating, he is now going back to the UK as he would be nearly 20 by the time we are permanent and he feels he's wasting his life here as he can't get a job as mentioned in a previous post, if you are temporary you don't stand a chance, even more so if you've just left school!!!!!!

I feel that we have let my son down, dragging him half way across the other side of the world away from college at home, his mates, only to be in limbo here!:arghh:

Now, I am sooooooo upset that we will be without him here just wish things could be different.:(

Just thought I would share this.

Lynn

Guest wemadeit

Really sorry to hear this!! We are on the same visa and i have struggled to get work!! What gets me is they entice people here and leave you with no help when you arrive! Wishing you all the best, but I agree, if I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed in the UK!!

Guest sandar1

I. am seeing this so much, people arriving and hardly any help if any once they arrive to get work. Have you looked into maybe your son getting a job with an electrician, getting some experience, he may not get an apprenticeship per se but the time that he spends would probably go towards time in an apprenticeship should he get one eventually. Maybe an electrician may be more difficult because of licensing rules, but in other trades they may not be quite so strict, there are othemaybe rs out there who are in the construction game who can help. Can your son get a job with one of the larger companies like Bunnings, he needs some type of work obviously and if they see initiative in kids quite often they can be promoted quite quickly. Don't give up, try and give him some other ideas. And don't give yourself a hard time, you did what you thought was best for your family, just turn over a few more rocks before you give up.

All the best to you and your son.

Sandra

Guest weesp

Hi Yeah my son has applied for some tradie jobs, our friends who work for themselves can't take him on as they don't have the licence to do so!!!! I hope something comes up soon, I really don't want to let him go home.

Lynn

Guest sandar1

I gather that your son is allowed to work however, but not getting an apprenticeship because of the temporary visa (this would be because the governnment does make an investment giving money to a consultation company to assist with his apprenticeship, I am in the process of hiring an apprentice, and really do not need a consultation company as I worked in the field myself for the world bank in Washington. However, I understand that I must have a consultant to help, would be a great thing to have one of those consulting companies wouldn't it. Anyway, I guess there theory is that if you are not permanent they could lose their investment quite easily, no incentive for your son to stick to an apprenticeship. That having been said maybe if he had a job any job he may be happier because he would be independent have his own money and all round it would be easier for all of you. Has he applied to other companies, does he have a cv does he need some help putting one together (I am happy to help him put one together) why don't you contact me and lets see if I can help.

My number at the shop is 8357 3093, leave me a message if you don't get me, I will be in and out today, off to church etcetera.

Sandra

So terrible & you must be overwhelmed with emotions with the thought of him going back. I just wish I could offer some kind of help. We brought both our boys here for the better life, they are in primary & hopefully won't experience anything like this by the time they leave school. This visa sucks at time. I hope he finds something soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hopefull
Just to let you all know some more about the 495 visa.

After being here a year and thankfully OH found work, my eldest son (17) went back to school. He started a vet course at the school Electrotech (sparkie), only to be told that he can't get an apprenticeship at the end.l We then applied to TAFE, he went for the test, which he passed and then we received the letter asking about our visa. We sent the copy off to them only to be told that he cant get into TAFE for an Electrician or Plumber or any Tradie as WE ARE TEMPORARY .

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!:arghh:

How bloody frustrating, he is now going back to the UK as he would be nearly 20 by the time we are permanent and he feels he's wasting his life here as he can't get a job as mentioned in a previous post, if you are temporary you don't stand a chance, even more so if you've just left school!!!!!!

I feel that we have let my son down, dragging him half way across the other side of the world away from college at home, his mates, only to be in limbo here!:arghh:

Now, I am sooooooo upset that we will be without him here just wish things could be different.:(

Just thought I would share this.

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Don't know if you've spoken to Carolann, my OH recently (rockpool crab). Our 17 year old son Michael has just been taken on by mccabe double glazing, a local company based in Lonsdale. Paul, the owner of the company has agreed to put him through his apprenticeship as a joiner, following an initial 6 months trial period. We are on a 475 temp visa. We have discussed this with him and he is content that he will be able to put Michael through his apprenticeship even though he will be on the temp visa initially. Don't know if this helps but it would seem that there are ways to make this work.

Andy

That is just so crap, have you tried contacting your immigration contact, see if they can do anything at all to help? It stinks really doesn't it.

Have no idea here, but could another alternative be him applying for a student visa in his own right? would that work?

Hope he gets to stay, will be hard on you all if not

Guest caoimhe

Hi Lynn

If your husband has a job is there anyway his company will sponsor him for PR. We are here on a 496 which is the family sponsored version of the 495 and my O/H's company has said they will sponsor him. It does tie you to them for 2 years but will get PR through in 3 -5 months, We told his company we would pay the fees as will need to pay them in a couple of years anyway, just so the cost didn't put them off. If this was a posibility your son could then go to TAFE

Good luck

Guest nickyblue

Hello

Now I know you have probably looked into lots of different options but here is one I looked into: Tafe NSW has an online course provider called OTEN and they take applications from people on temporary visas - a lot of the work is carried out on your own but they have other options (traineeships). I had a look and there do seem to be some Electrical trade based courses but they have a great career team - it might be worth giving them a ring as they may be able to suggest a way forward. Their website is:

http://www.oten.edu.au/oten/oten.htm

I know how frustrating it is when you decide you want to train, or in my case retrain, in an area just to find out that your visa could hold you back.

Good luck and i hope this helps!

Nic

Guest jomasey

So sorry to hear about what you are going through. The 495 visa seems to cause so many people so much hardship - myself included. I agree that I would not have come here if I had known how difficult it was to get work - and in fact have any rights. I really wish you and your family all the best - this must be really tough for you.

Hi to all, We will be receiving our visa soon and will be emigrating to Adelaide, soon as our home has been sold. What Weesp (Lynn) has mentioned about her 17 year old son, is something I am really worried about. My son is 20 years old and will be starting University in September 09, he will be studying Sports Coaching and Development, has he has been a Professional Footballer. He will emigrating with us, but with being on the 475 Visa, we will not be able to afford University or any TAFE courses for him to do. Obviously my son has no experience in working as he has been playing Professional football since he was 16 and only just had is contract ended. I am worried sick about his prospects in Adelaide, because of the situation of our Visa. I have the same feeling for my 16 year old daughter who is currently on a Haridressing Apprenticeship in a really expensive trendy salon in Newcastle upon Tyne, she gains good wages for being 16 years old and all her studying/qualifications are free. Our other daughter is only ten, so she will eb fine in school. Yes both my wife and I have good jobs here in Newcastle upon Tyne, but we have experience. Can anyone provide me with some good news/insight regarding the opportunities my children could gain by emigrating with us. At times I fell a bad father for taking their current wonderful opportunities away from them here in the UK.

Tony

Hi to all, We will be receiving our visa soon and will be emigrating to Adelaide, soon as our home has been sold. What Weesp (Lynn) has mentioned about her 17 year old son, is something I am really worried about. My son is 20 years old and will be starting University in September 09, he will be studying Sports Coaching and Development, has he has been a Professional Footballer. He will emigrating with us, but with being on the 475 Visa, we will not be able to afford University or any TAFE courses for him to do. Obviously my son has no experience in working as he has been playing Professional football since he was 16 and only just had is contract ended. I am worried sick about his prospects in Adelaide, because of the situation of our Visa. I have the same feeling for my 16 year old daughter who is currently on a Haridressing Apprenticeship in a really expensive trendy salon in Newcastle upon Tyne, she gains good wages for being 16 years old and all her studying/qualifications are free. Our other daughter is only ten, so she will eb fine in school. Yes both my wife and I have good jobs here in Newcastle upon Tyne, but we have experience. Can anyone provide me with some good news/insight regarding the opportunities my children could gain by emigrating with us. At times I fell a bad father for taking their current wonderful opportunities away from them here in the UK.

Tony

Me personally, wouldnt bring the 20 yr old. From what I understand , if hes on your visa, hes dependent on you, which means he cant work., because if he works hes not dependent. He would need his own visa as hes over 18. Maybe wrong but look into it. You say uni/ tafe is out of the question, so what do you think hes going to do?.

I think if the 16yr old has got good job let her stay and finish it too.

Just my opinion.

Ive heard of many people coming over here with older kids/teens thinking its just like UK withjobs /training.............its not, and especially dependant on different visas. You need to know what your kids will be doing before they get here, because there plenty of ozzies that will take the untrained jobs before you.

Having said that, if you have a workable plan, then after time , I know older kids that have thrived.

Me personally, wouldnt bring the 20 yr old. From what I understand , if hes on your visa, hes dependent on you, which means he cant work., because if he works hes not dependent. He would need his own visa as hes over 18. Maybe wrong but look into it. You say uni/ tafe is out of the question, so what do you think hes going to do?.

Have to say i agree with you......

To me, it sounds like both kids are in a great position in the UK.....doing really well in their chosen professions....maybe if you were coming on a permanent visa, i'd consider it...but TAFE still costs even on a perm visa.....but on a temp visa...you're right...costs a fortune and if you cant afford it.....what are they gonna do??

I'm sorry, i dont mean to sound negative...but i wouldnt move them.....and to be honest, having experience of Australian hairdressing apprenticeship's & TAFE.....if your daughter is in a top salon and doing really well, receiving excellent free training at college as well...... I'd be keeping her right where she is.....

Actually, I'd be keeping them both where they are.....

Just my opinion.

Ive heard of many people coming over here with older kids/teens thinking its just like UK withjobs /training.............its not, and especially dependant on different visas. You need to know what your kids will be doing before they get here, because there plenty of ozzies that will take the untrained jobs before you.

Having said that, if you have a workable plan, then after time , I know older kids that have thrived.

This is incorrect information. It clearly states on the conditions of the 475 visa that all visa olders can work. We are bringing our 17 & 18 year old sons with us and they intend to work for the 2 years until we get PR and then look at the possibility of going to Uni when we will be entitled to financial assistance.

This is incorrect information. It clearly states on the conditions of the 475 visa that all visa olders can work. We are bringing our 17 & 18 year old sons with us and they intend to work for the 2 years until we get PR and then look at the possibility of going to Uni when we will be entitled to financial assistance.

allows accompanying secondary applicants to work and study, but only in a Specified Regional Area of Australia .

I presume this means you are correct...........providing theres no small print.........how things change. Thanks for correcting me.Goes to show .........take a look on these sites and DYOR:)

As for uni assistance you mention......................you can get cheaper fees but no HECS loan........................unless thats changed too:)

Thanks the Flinns, this is what I thought, I am extremely worried because I could not personally emigrate if my kids could not do anything, they would be extremely bored, isolated and very very expensive for my wife and I to look after. Boredom cost money. I have contacted my agent about this but my agent is in Perth so will not gain a reply back until tomorrow sometime.

Thanks the Flinns, this is what I thought, I am extremely worried because I could not personally emigrate if my kids could not do anything, they would be extremely bored, isolated and very very expensive for my wife and I to look after. Boredom cost money. I have contacted my agent about this but my agent is in Perth so will not gain a reply back until tomorrow sometime.

Just a thought... Shannon being 16, could always go back to school.....and do the 2 year SACE qualification. I believe on the temp visa, you pay the same school fees as everyone else...high school is around $400 for the year......

Guest stufi1997

Hi all,

Just felt like I should add my tuppence worth cos it looks like there is a lot of if, buts and maybes floating about...we are on a 495 visa too, and if you can DO bring your 20 year old over on your visa.

We brought my 20 year old daughter over with us last year but couldn't put her on our visa because couldn't prove dependancy, so she came on her own "backpackers" visa. She absolutely loved it but had to go home in May as her visa had run out.....we are now in a horrible position, can't sponsor her to come back until we have PR (which we can apply for in April '10) but even then it will have to be on a last remaining relative visa, so in my opinion, if you can, bring all your kids out now (all on the one visa)...much cheaper option I reckon in the long run.

Your son will be able to do courses in Tafe but would have to pay international student fees (which are astronomical). What previous posters are refering to I think is subsidised government schemes, which no he wouldn't be able to access.

I'm pretty certain that your son will be able to get a job when he gets here, (albeit not an apprenticeship for a start).....just not in the run up to the visa grant.

Good luck on whatever you decide, Fiona

I think there's a bit of confusion here. Both Tony and his family and our family are on the new 475 visas and not the 495 visa, which is what the original post is about.

Smit, you are correct in that the boys would be restricted to working within South Australia for the first 2 years, but we were aware of that.

Tony, I am sure that Nathan and Shannon will soon find their feet and their own independence. Kids are a lot more adaptable than we sometimes give them credit for. I was interested to hear about your wish to continue football coaching, as my youngest son Sam is anxious to find a club once he gets over there and I'm sure that he will keep an eye out for any possibilities of youth coaching opportunities for you.

I'm sure that everything will work out fine for you all.

Howard.

Guest hopefull
The visa we are going on is the state sponsorship visa subclass 475, is there much difference to rights between the 475 and the 495

Just for peace of mind. We are on a 475 state sponsored visa arriving on 23rd Dec last year. Our 17 year old has been working for a couple of months before starting his new apprenticeship last week. He was given job seeking assistance from Centre Link/ Job Prospects who gave him a key worker and invited him to job hunting meetings, helped with covering letters, resumes etc .

In essence our experience has been that young people on temp visas are allowed to work and do get help from the state in looking for jobs.

Point to note is that TAFE courses are available but expensive.

Hope this helps

Andy

Guest weesp

Hi, it's really hard for teenagers to come here, my eldest is definately going back now as can see no prospects for his future here so, as you can imagine we're devastated!!!!! He too used to play a very good standard of football here, played for Southend, Charlton and has been very disappointed with the standard here too so this has not helped in the situation. My 16 old is now really bored here so looking back, yes we've had an experience, but as a parent, I do feel like i have let my children down as far as the job situation and work for the future is concerned. The way the picture was painted, there was lots more opportunities over here for the kids, I have to disagree with that, think there are much more opportunites in the UK.

Who knows if we will stay, I think it will be very hard for us now.

Lynn

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Lynn,

Try and tell your son not to give up hope. There is nothing to stop him working and learning a trade " hands on". I know a young lad who was offered this on a Working Holiday Visa!! Couldn't do a formal apprenticeship yet, but could get jobs, learning the trade, and when his residency visa came through, was told it would be very easy to then formalise his apprenticeship based on the work he had done.

I've heard TAPS are very helpful if he is interested in plumbing. www tapssa.com.au

They may be able to point you in the right direction for electrical training (other than TAFE) if that's what he is most interested in. If I can find any names or numbers I'll post again later.

Cheers, Kazza.

PS (Flinns) The 495 and 475 visa are one and the same. The 475 replaced the 495 and had a name change but the conditions are all the same. It is not temporary, it's provisional with a recognised pathway to permanency. Most employers don't understand this and need informing. (I think a lot of people easily confuse 475 and 457 - which IS temporary). The Immigration SA website has an open letter that you can print out to take with you to interviews etc, if needed. http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/once_youre_here/provisional_visa_holders.jsp

Try and tell your son not to give up hope. There is nothing to stop him working and learning a trade " hands on". I know a young lad who was offered this on a Working Holiday Visa!! Couldn't do a formal apprenticeship yet, but could get jobs, learning the trade, and when his residency visa came through, was told it would be very easy to then formalise his apprenticeship based on the work he had done.

I'm intrigued about this...

My nephew came over on a working holiday visa. He got work with a carpet company who liked him very much and wanted to take him on as an apprenctice. He couldnt as there was no visa open to him allowing him to stay in Australia and do this.

We phoned our agent and also DIMIA...there was no option at all...

As far as i am aware...there isn't a way of getting residency from a working holiday visa. Plus on a working holiday visa...I'm sure, you are only allowed to spend a certain amount of time working for the same employer....