Recommended Areas

Guest bishop3912

Guest bishop3912

Hi guys, I know this question is a shot in the dark, and of course the responses are peoples own personal opinions, but I would be grateful for some advice please.

We are a family who have 4 kids, 7, 6, 3 and 6 months and ideally would like to be near the beach. We have been looking at the Aldinga Beach area but would appreciate peoples views on what other areas are family friendly with good schools. Is one area better than the other etc etc. Many thanks Corinne x:wubclub:

There's definitely some areas better than others - come to the North East instead, as a fellow (almost) Colchesterian, I can honestly say it's much nicer here than in some other places!

Seriously, lots of Brits love it down at Aldinga, and I guess transport links are in line to improve, but for me it's too far from the CBD! Just a personal opinion though, and if you want to be near the beach, it's probably ok!

Guest Deb17

We had a thread on this a couple of weeks ago I think, as folks always want to know what areas are 'best' to settle in. It's not that easy though, as you really need to make that decision for yourselves when you come out. The north/south of Adelaide debate could rage on for hours. :)

Personally, I've lived in Aldinga Beach for two years...it's lovely for families if you want a slower pace, and it's got to be the safest place I've ever lived in, plus you have a fantastic beach a few minutes away, fresh air and a beautiful view of the Willunga hills. The downside of it is that it's so far away from the CBD, and I have found that to be a real disadvantage, especially when the expressway is open the 'wrong' way.

Guest bishop3912

Thanks Deb17 for your reply, previously living in Tasmania, Oz, we know the North/South debate thing really well!! lol. We know that everything is down to personally opinion as what is good for the goose is not good for the gander, but just wondered if there were any really undesirable areas (of course peoples perosonal opinions) in the surrounding Adelaide areas that we should steer clear off. Aldinga Beach is top on our short list at the mo, as we are a slower pace of life family!!! lol, we are getting mixed messaged on how long it takes to get to the CBD. Currently we are thinking 45 mins??? What are your views on the time driving from Aldgina Beach to CBD?? Hubbie is used to travelling over 1 hr into the City so he is quite happy for this journey time. Housing also seems reasonable too?? We particularly like the look of the new Sunday estate, Your response is very much appreciated, thanks for taking the time, Regards Corinne xxxx

Guest Deb17

Apologies Corinne, for taking so long to reply...I don't come on here that much these days for a number of good reasons. ;-)

The drive time to the city is definitely 40-45 minutes, if the expressway is open the right way (you'll learn more about that when you arrive!) If it's not open it can take another ten minutes via the main South Road or one of the others that run parallel to it into the city.

Housing in Aldinga is affordable, averaging around the 300,000 mark by my reckoning, but a lot of the new builds in Bayswood and the Sunday Estate in particular, can cost you a fair bit more than that. Then again, these have 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, double garage etc. and are pretty palatial for the money you are paying. If you look at other threads on the best areas to live in, it seems that an awful lot of people move to the South, simply because there aren't really any undesirable areas to live in (although I'd steer clear of Hackham West!) Most areas are 5-10 minutes from a beach, have plenty of open space, shopping facilities and most importantly of all, they are SAFE.

It is no wonder every second conversation I overhear when out shopping nowadays seems to include at least one Pommie accent. I know of at least twenty English families who live in Aldinga, so if you choose to come out here you won't be the only ones, by a long chalk.

Best of luck to you all.

Guest redfoxy

Hi Corinne, Deb is perfectly right !!

We live at Seaford Rise and are moving to Aldinga becuase we can buy a nice big house for a good price and yes the SUnday is the best place in my personal opinion.

There are lots of pleasant suburbs around the south such as Willunga, Mclaren vale (both my favs but I need another 80,000k to buy what I want) Moana and Maslin too are nice and Seaford rise/meadows are nice.

Personally when driving back to the south are from the buildt up areas of Bedford Park etc where I work I instantly feel relaxed, because of the wide open spaces.

You have to way it all up for yourself when you get here, there are some small clusters of un desirable areas mixed in with these suburbs.

I also like the hills areas such as Blackwood Glenata and Crafers etc but there are a lot more trees and spiders etc, which I though would bother me when I arrived but not now.

Good Luck anyway

Lynne