On Arrival Accommodation

Guest bishop3912

Guest bishop3912

Hi guys, has anyone made use of the meet and great service provided by the SA Gov and the on arrival accommation. We have 4 kiddies, 7, 6, 3 and 6 months and are aware that the OA Accomm is basic, but as long as its clean we hope that it will give us a chance to get a rental in an area that we want. We would appreciate to hear from anyone who has had use of this service, and their opinions please. THanks Corinne :wubclub:

Guest kangomik

G'day Corrine.

If you can get it take it.

With 4 in tow you will take at least a week to think straight. They may not be in the best areas, then may not be manisions, but treat them as a base, with everything you need in them. Ours was clean, the furniture wasn't great, and we had some colorful neighbours, but they were friendly and everything was close by. No heatin or elec bills either, it all takes a load off...... you will need bedding, so head for a Big W or Kmart.

Meet and greet is superb, i hired a car and brought a tom tom, so the wife and one of the kids went with the meet and greet while we took the car, thank god for tom tom. Next day meet and greet guy dragged us around town. We didn't want to do it, we had jet lag. But we had everything done in 4 hours....... looking back it was a god send, so helpful, and told us exactly what we needed. The UBD (A to Z) is worth it alone!

Next stop would be JB Hi Fi, you guys may need a TV if you already have four kids LOL.

You cannot bring everything in the cases, OAA works a treat till you find your feet.

Guest shirley

Hi Corinne,

We didn't use the Arrival accomodation, but we did use the meet and greet service, it was totally invaluable. We were met at the airport had a taxi sorted out and paid for and got us to the apartment we had rented for the 4 weeks. Although at the time we felt like it was an information overload, they told us everything we needed to know and do.

The free Adelaide A-Z was put to very good use whilst we got things sorted. Just make sure you allow enough time to book the meet and greet as they soon get booked up. Good Luck

We used OAA and got a place in Port Adelaide. Not the Ritz but we'd have been lost without it. We had 3 kids in tow ourselves and there is no way we'd have managed to get everything for an unfirnished rental quick enough. It was a big 3 bed and cost $180 per week. You can't go wrong at that cost

Guest bishop3912

thanks Kangomik, really helpful to read your views, as we have previoulsy lived in Oz we already have our bank accounts and tfn's and medicare already sorted so no stress on that front, although showing us the areas would be really helpful, is great to hear from people who have used the OAA service. And I agree the next stop for us would be the TV store, with 4 kids and a hubbie to enterain!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol thanks once again we are defo considering this option xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest bishop3912

Hi Shirley, thanks for your reply, its good to hear from someone else who also used the on arrival service, you hear so many rumours across the web that you become a little what confused!!!! I am glad that it worked out for you guys using this service and now makes us more certain that we are going to take up the offer of it, although all our initial ground work has been done previously ie tfn nos, medicare, bank accounts. We are looking to book our flights for end of Sept so will defo book our meet and greet asap. Thanks once again xxxxxx

Guest bishop3912

Thanks Jo Marnes, its good to hear from another person who has used this service, especially with kiddies in tow, all I want is a clean place to put our heads whilst we do the area research on the ground, looking on the net is different once you are in a place isnt it!!! We know that for the price it is a bargin, especially with the kiddies in tow, we are not sure yet, as we havent put our request in, whether you can state what area you are looking for or whether they just allocate you a place in a area, but certainely it is one load off you mind isnt it when you finally do get to SA. Think we are going to go down this route as seems with kiddies you cant go wrong for a short term let. Ta Corinne xx

Guest xhaylesx

hello fellow Essex Bird :biglaugh:

We used it, and I will say the house was BASIC, and in a undesirable area, BUT it saved us an absolute packet in the first, very expensive weeks.

You do put preferences on the application form, if I remember rightly, but they also take absolutely NO notice of it whatsoever, usually because it is a heavily utilised system and you kind of get what you are given! We requested a place up north, because thats where we were hoping to settle, incidentally we ended up in the Southern Suburbs and are so greatful because we decided to stay and are settled in the South now.

Good luck.

Guest bishop3912
hello fellow Essex Bird :biglaugh:

We used it, and I will say the house was BASIC, and in a undesirable area, BUT it saved us an absolute packet in the first, very expensive weeks.

You do put preferences on the application form, if I remember rightly, but they also take absolutely NO notice of it whatsoever, usually because it is a heavily utilised system and you kind of get what you are given! We requested a place up north, because thats where we were hoping to settle, incidentally we ended up in the Southern Suburbs and are so greatful because we decided to stay and are settled in the South now.

Good luck.

Yo fellow white stilletto fan!!!!!!!!

Great to hear positive from someone who has used it, we know it will be well basic, but as long as its clean it will take one less stress off us for a short while. We hope to be in the South too, you never know we could end up in your neck of the woods!! How long did you have the accommodation for??? Do they allocate it to you for just a couple of weeks or a month???? Did you also make use of the area tour guide??

Regards, Corinne, x

Guest bishop3912
Hi Corrinne

We have applied for OAA and I think that you get a maximum of 12 weeks, which should see us on until our furniture arrives. I've asked for Glenelg on our form but I'm not holding my breath!

Howard.

Hi Howard

Cool, 12 weeks would sort us till furniture arrives too. Will put down our areas on the request and wait to see what happens. Just waiting for our babies visa to come through before we can book our flights but hoping for 27 Sept.

Regards

COrinne

Guest xhaylesx
Yo fellow white stilletto fan!!!!!!!!

Great to hear positive from someone who has used it, we know it will be well basic, but as long as its clean it will take one less stress off us for a short while. We hope to be in the South too, you never know we could end up in your neck of the woods!! How long did you have the accommodation for??? Do they allocate it to you for just a couple of weeks or a month???? Did you also make use of the area tour guide??

Regards, Corinne, x

As PP said you can have it up to 12 weeks - I think you have to give 1 weeks notice, as we found a house to buy after 2 weeks and it took 3/4 weeks to go through we were there for 6 weeks in all. We were glad to get out but in hindsight realise the money it saved us was such a big help in the early days.

We had the meet and greet service, Denis and Rene, its worth doing even if it is for the free taxi from the airport (particuarly with a big family) to your accommodation and the free UBD (street directory).

Make sure you PM when you get here. :wubclub: we can swap stillettos!