Don't go back!!!

Guest Nikkic

Guest Nikkic

I know everyone has different reasons and at times it can be really hard but please work as hard as you can to make it in Australia.

I grew up in Adelaide and are good friends with lots of poms who have been there a number of years. I have never met a kid who has been in Adelaide more than 5 years who does'nt thank their parents for making the move.

If you ask the main reason why we make the move it's for a better life for our kids. If in 15 years Australia is not 100% better than the UK then our kids can choose to go back!!! (But I bet they won't!)

Good luck

Dallas

Guest bishop3912

Wicked post, I agree, we moved to Oz (Tasmania) in Nov 07 and only lasted 6 months, it was all my fault to come back to the UK, I was really home sick, missing my husbands family (feeling the kids needed their grandparents) and my brothers and their families badly, and also what I thought were really good friends. My hubbie saw how sad I was and we decided to pack up and come back to the UK as it was making our life so miserable. With hindsight now I wish we hadnt come back to the UK (I also didnt realise I was 6 wks pregnant with my littlest now 6 months old). Since arriving back in the UK all the reasons we wanted to get our kids out of the country for have got worse, we hardly ever see close family (my brothers are an exception, indeed one of them and his family are in the process of applying for South Australia State Sponsership) and the so called friends have only contacted us a couple of times in the year that we have been back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the biggest mistake of our life pulling our kids around again and moving back to the UK. We are now in the process of coming back to Oz and are heading for Adelaide at the end of Sept 09 and cant wait, the kids are so excited too, this time our heads are clear. This time its for keeps, we are a lot of money out of pocket and know that the homesickness is hard but we will get through it, many do. To anyone thinking of throwing in the towel dont do it, you will end up one of the many ping pong poms that we have now become too!!!!!! remember the reasons why you wanted to immigrate in the first place and dont loose sight of them, the leaving is the hardest bit. It will take time to settle and you definately need to give it at least 3 years. Good luck everyone. Thanks Corinne xxxxxx

Guest kangomik

Corinne it is great to hear from people who have experience of this. Good luck for september, i bet you cannot wait

Nikkic, its very hard for some. It's easy to forget i guess. It would also depend what life you had in the UK.

Your comment is spot on....... go back to the reasons why.

We can all think of family and friends, and i know people have special bonds....... but you only get one shot in this life, sometimes it's best to be "selfish" and do what is best for you and yours.

Guest cunnah10
Wicked post, I agree, we moved to Oz (Tasmania) in Nov 07 and only lasted 6 months, it was all my fault to come back to the UK, I was really home sick, missing my husbands family (feeling the kids needed their grandparents) and my brothers and their families badly, and also what I thought were really good friends. My hubbie saw how sad I was and we decided to pack up and come back to the UK as it was making our life so miserable. With hindsight now I wish we hadnt come back to the UK (I also didnt realise I was 6 wks pregnant with my littlest now 6 months old). Since arriving back in the UK all the reasons we wanted to get our kids out of the country for have got worse, we hardly ever see close family (my brothers are an exception, indeed one of them and his family are in the process of applying for South Australia State Sponsership) and the so called friends have only contacted us a couple of times in the year that we have been back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the biggest mistake of our life pulling our kids around again and moving back to the UK. We are now in the process of coming back to Oz and are heading for Adelaide at the end of Sept 09 and cant wait, the kids are so excited too, this time our heads are clear. This time its for keeps, we are a lot of money out of pocket and know that the homesickness is hard but we will get through it, many do. To anyone thinking of throwing in the towel dont do it, you will end up one of the many ping pong poms that we have now become too!!!!!! remember the reasons why you wanted to immigrate in the first place and dont loose sight of them, the leaving is the hardest bit. It will take time to settle and you definately need to give it at least 3 years. Good luck everyone. Thanks Corinne xxxxxx

GREAT POST....I did EXACTLY the same ...pinged back to the UK after just 6 months too!!!!

Good Luck with your move back to Adelaide!

Guest Deb17

Corinne is right...I needed 3 years! Still didn't feel anywhere near settled here even after the two years people told me to stick it out. With things the way they are back in the UK, I wouldn't and couldn't go back now. You learn to settle for fewer material possessions in your life, in exchange for safety and a better environment to live in.

Guest massive
GREAT POST....I did EXACTLY the same ...pinged back to the UK after just 6 months too!!!!

Good Luck with your move back to Adelaide!

It would be intersting to me gill to hear if you regret going back, we met once in the uk and you seemed to be the most keen to get here i have great days and poor ones and often think going back would be the best thing for me but my kids are having none of it what are your feeling now you are back there (if you don't mind me asking )

Yes,but also there are some who go back because they feel they simply do not belong here,and realise home is where the heart is.Comfort in familiarity can sway people into returning home,even though they fully realise life here may have so much more to offer.I think its all down to where we want to be,not where we feel we should want to be.

Guest cunnah10
Corinne is right...I needed 3 years! Still didn't feel anywhere near settled here even after the two years people told me to stick it out. With things the way they are back in the UK, I wouldn't and couldn't go back now. You learn to settle for fewer material possessions in your life, in exchange for safety and a better environment to live in.

you are a great example of this DEB......soooo glad things have worked out for you hun...took a loooong time...BUT you got there in the end!!!!

Guest suttons

although we havent been yet, we are 100% going to give it everything we have got, and we are going to be very lucky when we get our visas and finally go because Bishops (Corinne) is our family and we will have each other to lean on, i am married to her brother and we cannot wait to get out there and settle and hopefully enjoy a better quality of life with our children.

Shona x

Guest cunnah10
It would be intersting to me gill to hear if you regret going back, we met once in the uk and you seemed to be the most keen to get here i have great days and poor ones and often think going back would be the best thing for me but my kids are having none of it what are your feeling now you are back there (if you don't mind me asking )

Hi...was it the Warrington "Meet up" that we met all that time ago?

Yes you are correct I WAS on a mission to get to oz AND i tackled every hurdle along the way UNTIL we eventually got there!

Really hard to put into words the situation that we are now in .... we have been back in the UK now for nearly 4 months AND yes i do have huge regrets!we came back for a number of reasons (some personal) and my parents ill health played a big part in my decision to return!

Life is soooo hard sometimes AND we do what we think right at "the" time!!

I never hated the UK....and still don't ...BUT as a mum of 4 young kids coming back has brought it home to me "why" we wanted to leave in the first place.And I think that I "HAD" to come back to the UK to realize this!

BUT I can also relate to what others say....being out of your comfort zone...guilt over leaving parents etc...

For some people it is really easy relocating to the otherside of the world...BUT for others it is not the case.

I have heard of quite a few ping pongers lately....AND I wish them all the best of luck!

Gill

Guest massive

cheers gill

another good honest post i fully understand about your parents my mum has MS and is very bad and this is my biggest pull but what you say about being a mum it is the reason we came we want the children to grow up happy and safe and for thes reasons we will try our best to control our homesickness .

as for the pingpoms maybe this could be you and your family to one day and so what if thats what its takes nobody should feel that going back and to is wrong (expensive maybe:)) but if you get it right in the end so be it . Who knows gill maybe you'll be back oneday . Takecare for now

debbie

We are not there yet, one day touch wood but not yet. If i can offer one peice of advice it would be that at the moment there is nothing worth returning to. I am an electrical supervisor and by chance moved to a new company that had a 5 year contract with a council so my work is garenteed for the next 4 years. 1 month after moving the compamy that i worked for went under and i have neumerous friends who in best have had wages cut and at worst lost jobs and cannot find any work anywhere. This is the same for all trades if not worse as electricians have in all honesty been the least effected.

This is not just for trades though all buisnesses, all sectors are really struggling.

If you read the news Mr Browns way off living through the ressesion is massive borrowing on top of an already massive debt which will mean that in the not so distant future higher taxes and this will be passed down to our children.

Becouse unemployment has jumped up crime is soaring and if the local hoody gang does not manage to kill you off then swine flu will get you anyway.

Jokes aside i know this is a global recession but after the USA the Uk is being effected worse then any other country. This is a country with no natural resorses apart from a couple of drops of oil left in the north sea, no engeneering left, no banks worth touching, no assets, no FUTURE.

We all go or dream of going for something better.

Fortune favours the brave so be strong and hopefully soon we will be lucky enough to join you all.:notworthy:

Guest cunnah10
Were going back to the UK in three weeks and can't wait. Given Australia around 8 years of my life in total, from beginning of application, permanent resident, ping ponged back and forth twice, lived in 3 different states, visited 4 and believe we have a better lifestyle in England. Good luck to you all moving out, hope you find what your looking for, we never did in Australia.

good luck with your move back to the UK and i hope you settle quickly!

my god you deserve to be happy!

Nobody can ever say "you didn't give it long enough"

Guest Pies
good luck with your move back to the UK and i hope you settle quickly!

my god you deserve to be happy!

Nobody can ever say "you didn't give it long enough"

As long as your reasons to move towards something are propelling you harder than your reasons for moving away from something, then all is well. May the best result happen for all concerned. Positive energy and creativity are things to be fostered, with a hope of optimisim, hope and happiness. Equally, I understand the sense of duty and responsibility towards those who raised you.

No-one who hasn't done this in a committed way will understand how much it pulls you in so many directions.......we all wish you well.

Guest bishop3912

I totally agree with this, bearing in mind this was one of the main reasons we pinged back to the UK, against our kids wishes, and now are the ones proved wrong, at least our kiddies are sooooooo excited about coming back to Oz. xxx

Most people will probably agree that it is really hard work getting here and trying to be happy. I guess it was easier for me as i work away from home, and everytime i come back, i have loads of time off, so still always feels like i'm coming back for a holiday. My wife did take a long long time to settle, and was almost at the stage where we were looking at going back to the UK. The worst thing she said for her was the fact that we hadn't bought a house, and she hated renting, and not being able to decorate, put up pictures etc. Now that we are building our own house, she is much much more settled. As for the kids, they are only 8 and 6 (plus a baby born since we got here) and there would be a riot if we turned round to them and said we were going back. So yes it is hard work, and for some it doesn't work out, but respect for trying it, and not sitting years later and wondering what if!! As for the rest of us who it does work out for, well done too.

Guest Pies
Most people will probably agree that it is really hard work getting here and trying to be happy. I guess it was easier for me as i work away from home, and everytime i come back, i have loads of time off, so still always feels like i'm coming back for a holiday. My wife did take a long long time to settle, and was almost at the stage where we were looking at going back to the UK. The worst thing she said for her was the fact that we hadn't bought a house, and she hated renting, and not being able to decorate, put up pictures etc. Now that we are building our own house, she is much much more settled. As for the kids, they are only 8 and 6 (plus a baby born since we got here) and there would be a riot if we turned round to them and said we were going back. So yes it is hard work, and for some it doesn't work out, but respect for trying it, and not sitting years later and wondering what if!! As for the rest of us who it does work out for, well done too.

Well said, sir!