A new section for Repatriation

suzer

Should we have a "Moving Back To The Uk" Forum?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Should we have a "Moving Back To The Uk" Forum?

• Yes
    • No

Seems so many people decide to, at some point, head back home/to the UK, I wonder if it would be helpful to have a repat section?

Saw this article, which made me think of it:

http://expatwomen.blogspot.com/2009/06/returning-child-to-uks-school-system.html

Returning A Child To The UK's School System: Obstacles To Repatriation

Hi Everyone, Here is another good article by an expat woman, published in The Telegraph UK last week: Returning A Child To The UK's School System, by Kate McCann.

An excerpt:

"The problem that the Carters had run into was that although they were returning to their own home, the admissions system treated them as "out of area applicants". This meant they were given a lower priority than other residents, simply because the system had to take account of the "current address" listed on the application as well as the future home address given. This meant their four-year-old daughter was refused a place at a school a mere five- minute walk from home. She was allocated position number 30 on a waiting list of 30."

Then further down the article:

"There is yet another area of concern for returning families – one which Ms Fieldman calls the 'chicken and egg situation' – and it affects those looking to buy homes on their return to the UK. She says: "This is what worries most people… you have to have an address in the catchment area of the school to apply to the school and you don't want to get an address until you know you've got the school. We find an awful lot of expats almost concede defeat before leaving the shores of where they are and say, right, we are going to go into the private system.""

To read the full article, please click here. Thanks.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Libby1971

Personally I don't think so. If they are going back 'home' they know the services available to them or can find out from people back in the country. There is no need to have a section to support those leaving Adelaide...IMO

Personally I don't think so. If they are going back 'home' they know the services available to them or can find out from people back in the country. There is no need to have a section to support those leaving Adelaide...IMO

Repatriation can be just as difficult as the first move abroad, taking reverse culture shock etc into account. It would be nice if those going back had a dedicated place to go to support each other and ask questions, and depending on how long people have been gone from the Uk, they don't know all the services available.

Guest Libby1971

I am disputing it is stressful. And I think reverse culture is getting a bit strong. The reason they are leaving is because they want to. They are going back to where they started from. I am not too clear what they are asking questions about exactly, and how those people who are here could answer any of the questions about entitlements etc, regardless of how long they have been out of the country. I just don't see that anyone here can offer more than support which they can get from other sections of the forum.

Suzer,could not agree more with you. All members should have a section to help them through with advice relevent to their circumstances,let us not forget there are PIA members who have returned to the UK,and who can offer invaluable advice.Sorry Libby,but i do not agree with your dismissiveness on this subject,as i feel there are many members who would be interested to know how others fare on their return to the UK,particularily their feelings on such a huge decision.I think a section dedicated to members who have returned to the UK should be available to us all.

There must be other sites and forums for people who are going home. This is a site and forum for people who want to go or who are already there. It would be like adding a what we hate about australia section. No disrespect meant but this is the wrong site. IMO.

There must be other sites and forums for people who are going home. This is a site and forum for people who want to go or who are already there. It would be like adding a what we hate about australia section. No disrespect meant but this is the wrong site. IMO.

Many many forums such as this have repatriation sections. It is just one sub-section, just like jobs & careers. If you are not repatriating then don't worry about it. For those who are, it might be helpful.

Just thought i'd throw my twopence worth in:cute:,this site is ran by the same people as PIO isnt it? so......theres two ways of looking at it, I.E how come theres a section called "moving back to the uk" on there and not here? OR if you wanted info on the subject could you not look on PIO?just a thought,got no strong opinions on it myself.

I am disputing it is stressful. And I think reverse culture is getting a bit strong. The reason they are leaving is because they want to. They are going back to where they started from. I am not too clear what they are asking questions about exactly, and how those people who are here could answer any of the questions about entitlements etc, regardless of how long they have been out of the country. I just don't see that anyone here can offer more than support which they can get from other sections of the forum.

And by the way, have you been through it? How would you know, if not, and why do you care that much to dispute the issue. It's a documented fact that reverse culture shock exists.

Just thought i'd throw my twopence worth in:cute:,this site is ran by the same people as PIO isnt it? so......theres two ways of looking at it, I.E how come theres a section called "moving back to the uk" on there and not here? OR if you wanted info on the subject could you not look on PIO?just a thought,got no strong opinions on it myself.

Ah well didn't realise there was a section on PIO...good stuff.

Guest Libby1971

I'm not being dismissive, but the issues raised by Suzer were about being able to offer advice for those going back and to address the culture shock. How much of a culture shock could there be? Honestly. Ok if you left UK 10, 20, 30 years ago, but there is no real culture shock if you have left in the last couple of years or so.

And I have no real insight into services etc in the UK. Could you honestly say that you know different? Suzer's initial post was to use the story of a woman who didn't get the entry into the school of her choice. I could not have the answer to the question and I very much doubt that many others on PIA would do either. I think this site is bl**dy fantastic at supporting everyone, whether they are going or staying. But I question the usefulness of a section that would claim to be able to offer advice seeking comfort when going home. I think that is best left to the authorities/ relvant bodies who you would know about if you were going back.

This site seeks to answer questions for those who know nothing or who unsure of the process or whatever about getting to and being in Adelaide. I just don't understand what answers we in Adelaide could offer when there are people in the UK much better placed to asnwer the questions.

As I said before, this site is great at supporting people, I just don't see why we need to label a section as repatriations. Either they are a member or they are not, and we should be able to support them regardless.

Guest Libby1971
And by the way, have you been through it? How would you know, if not, and why do you care that much to dispute the issue. It's a documented fact that reverse culture shock exists.

Yes I have several times on my way to and from the Middle East and let me tell you, THAT is a culture shock

It probably is quite stresfull but that is not the point being made. I personally think the site should be kept for those going to adelaide or those there. Not for perth, brisbane, sydney, going back home, hate australia, want to go to new zealand. If you are going home then there a neumerous sites and information on the web. But like i said this is just my opinion.

Guest the4hopes
HiAll,

however if there is enough iterestI could look atit- I wouldn't want to spread out the forum too thinly!

Tim

Hi Tim think you need to read through this!!! I don't think you would look that bad!:cute:

Sorry to go off the subject!

I dont think there are any im "im alright jack" comments on here. Anyone who posts on sites like these will help anyone with anything when they can. In idea was put up and some people have disagreed with it. What do you expect everyone to just agree regardless.:nah:

Yeah honest,i do expect everyone to agree:biglaugh:,im really like that! nah,i just dont see the harm in having a section about "going back to the UK", IS there any harm in it btw? to say "anyone who posts on sites like this will help anyone when they can" is a little bit naive/untrue imo, PIA has sections on all kinds of subjects yes? selling unwanted items etc? so are you saying that a section on "returning to uk" is any less worthy? i think if YOU were moving back you might be gratefull of it?

Well i'm going to throw my 5 cents worth in to! I think it would be a useful section for people who are even thinking of returning. If there are people who have been there and done that, and are able to offer even a tiny piece of advice, it would be worthwhile (not that i would use it myself, quite happy). The main reason for this forum IMO is to help people moving to Adelaide, because we have all been there and done that, and any advice is deemed invaluable to the person receiving it at the time, so why not try to help others who have been here, tried their best, and just can't seem to make it home through no lack of trying. Thought this was a community to help others, regardless of circumstances. For those who don't want it here, or are dead set against it, as has been previously posted, then DON"T BLOODY READ IT!!!! Just like i won't read about a mothers meeting or a girls night out!!! So get over yourself and lets help one and all regardless

So it seems to some that we should not have a section to help members whose time in Adelaide has,or will be cut short through varying circumstances,some of which are very stressful.I wouldn't like to get wounded in no mans land with one or two on here!

Here is another good article on Repatriation from Expat Exchange, a wonderful site for Expats.

http://www.expatexchange.com/lib.cfm?networkID=159&articleID=3383&clk=ok

[/url]

Repatriation

By Katie Dotson

Summary: Just returning from a two-year stint in Belgium, Dotson is working on reassimilating into American culture and finding a sense of normalcy back "home."

I can remember moving in 6th grade. The feelings of anxiousness and fear ran down my spine every time I thought about the first day. What would I wear? Who would I sit next to at lunch? Would I fit in? Though a fragile time, I survived. It took longer than I like to admit to assimilate, but I did it. But what about the adults that move away and have to come back and fit in? What happens when you leave everything you know and are accustomed to only to be thrown back to the wolves two years later? Stephen and I accepted the job in Liege, Belgium as a newly married couple. The thoughts of traveling Europe were very attractive, and to do this with the one you love was the icing on the cake. Naïve to think the move would be easy, we learned rather quickly it wouldn't be a cakewalk. Liege resided in the French-speaking region of Belgium; Stephen and I spoke about two words upon arrival. We learned survival phrases and got by. As a married couple we were stronger than ever; nothing fixes communication issues better than moving to a country where your spouse is the only other English speaker! We tackled the adventure together, he and I. We eventually found friends, became part of a social network, traveled extensively and became part of the "group." We also missed two births, an engagement, a death and countless other events in the lives of our close friends and families we'd left behind. We couldn't wait to get back, but couldn't bear the thought of leaving. We invested so much of ourselves in finding new friends, and to leave them without knowing if you would see them again was heart-breaking. We missed so much in the lives of our family and friends here that we felt like outsiders.

This dichotomy made the move seem impossible, when in reality the repatriation aspect would be our biggest hurdle.

The Saturday before we moved, we sat in a revitalized salle, toasting with our friends and colleagues. The smell of homecooked Indian food and Belgian beer permeated the air as we recalled funny stories and hysterical mishaps during our two year stint. We laughed and cried as they played the video montage of our adventure. We said our goodbyes and left, not knowing when, if ever, we would see these people again.

For months I had missed the creamy taste of Jif - the perfect pairing of Ranch with any and every edible item. We requested packages left and right, praying the comforts of home would seep through the cardboard. Now in a matter of minutes, I yearned for more time here. For more waffles and amazing chocolate... for more sweaty and smelly bus rides, clinging to the rails in hopes I wouldn't swing into an unsuspecting hairy pit. I longed for another boulet a Liegeois and a lukewarm Jupiler. In a matter of minutes my heart ripped out of my chest. Leaving for good.

The movers arrived as scheduled, packing up our things with precision and delicacy. They utilized the typical European elevator to transport our belongings and comforts out of our 3rd story window to the ground below. For weeks we prepared for this moment. We sorted and sifted, packed and stacked. Now, we watched patiently and emotionally as this chapter of our lives came to a close -- too quickly.

Repatriation: (v) to restore or return to the country of birth, citizenship, or origin; to return to one's country

Since the beginning of time people have moved from country to country, repatriating upon return to their native lands.

The Indians evacuated their homelands due to force, then returned on their own accord some years later. Every veteran had to repatriate after their assignments, sometimes bringing their visions and dreams of the war with them, adding to the stress of life back on home soil. Immigrants are frequently repatriated as a matter of visa issues or illegal status. Repatriation as a concept dates back to the beginning of time. Why would I have an issue with this?

Ruth van Reken, co-author of Third Culture Kids: The Experience of Growing Up Among Worldsir?t=expatexchange&l=as2&o=1&a=1857882954, states that "every transition involves loss… even when there is gain." Coming home was difficult. Stephen had to stay another week in Belgium, so I tackled the first hurdle alone. Flying with Gracie, our dog, proved to be a godsend. I think the emotions would have gotten the best of me if I had been completely alone. My family greeted me at the airport. I felt innately happy to see them standing there, elated in my return. Everyone around me spoke English -- I could hear every conversation. They understood me. The lack of challenge instantly hit me -- jolted me back to missing Europe and my husband.

"More people find coming home to be a more difficult transition than going abroad," writes Alan Paul, author of Expat Life in the Wall Street Journal.

Guest Rob and Clare

I think it could be a good idea too. It probably crosses many peoples minds at some point and to know a couple of facts may help make their mind up up one way or the other.

Our plant managar who has been here for over 25 years returns to the UK next month, he just didn't want to retire here in Oz, his children returned to England as soon as they left University. I guess all I'm saying is: any of us could start to consider returning at any time, and knowing where to look may be useful.

Guest Libby1971

Not sure where this thread is going now :confused:. I think alot of people have made their feelings quite clear, either in favour of or against the idea. Now I get the impression that it has become about bashing those who agree or disagree. And as for posting info from other sites...I think the link was enough. That person was on that forum and posted her info for those people, not for all and sundry.

I can see your points of view, still don't agree, still don't expect you to agree with mine. But I am starting to get a bit sick and tired of all the little digs :arghh:

Hello again all. There is nothing personal meant by my comments just my view. If someone posts a question that i can/could help with then i would. As someone else has put it if you/I dont want to read posts then dont. And its by no means a dig at people going home as it must be very hard and very worrying to make this decision. Its a shame some people cannot take different views without getting personal. However my view to the origional question stands as once again in my opinion it is not required but hey that is just my opinion.