Back from Hols in Perth

Guest sjs

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would write about our experiences in Perth. We took 14 days holiday there and I must admit I was nervous about going as it was the other city we were considering other than Adelaide, and we have family there, so I was worried it might unsettle us and/or make us want to make another move.

When we landed we were met by my husbands aunt whom we know well and my sons have met just a few times. Well, my eldest son had this huge smile on his face and threw his arms round her and I nearly cried - I thought he was pleased to see a 'granny' figure whom he could recognise and was missing that relationship so that upset me right away.

We stayed in the Northern suburb of Sorrento which is lovely and the beaches are beautiful. We didnt explore it like we explored Adelaide upon first arriving purely as it was a holiday but what we saw was all newer - cars, shops, roads, houses etc but they do have the same graffitti problems as here. We visited Fremantle and the Maritime Museum there, AQWA (the aquarium) at Hillarys Boat Harbour, various beaches, Kings Park with its beautiful views over the Swan River, Perth City but there is also much we did not see - basically anything South of the River in fact! Places which I would love to see in the future.

In conclusion - Perth is beautiful but I did miss Adelaide. Where we have landed in Adelaide, Port Noarlunga, is just beautiful with the views of the hills and glimpses of the ocean from our house are stunning. I did feel that if I had been staying in Perth it would cost a fortune to visit places we have yet to see like Melbourne, Brisbane and Cairns compared with travelling from Adelaide. Also, where we were in Perth blocks of land and houses are just so much more expensive as is eating out and drinking - and my son couldnt wait to get back to Adelaide to get back to school!

So never say never , a future move could well happen but for the forseeable future we are very much Adelaideians (is that a word?)

:):):):)

We felt exactly the same about it when we went last year Sarah Jane. We also have family there, and it was our original destination when we first applied for our visa. The thing that struck me the most was how "shiny and new" everything seemed there. We stayed in Mindarie, north of Perth and the marina there is full of million dollar yachts. The city is ultra modern compared to Adelaide, I'm not saying that's a good thing, I'm just making a comment before anybody starts jumping up and down!!! AQWA was fabulous, we loved the moving walkway under the sharks and giant turtles! Kings Park is stunning, and the beaches are gorgeous.

We're heading back there in October for another holiday and I'm really looking forward to it. Like you, we'd never say never, and I would certainly consider a move there if we ever tire of Adelaide.

I'd definitely recommend it for a holiday, and if you fancy hiring a camper van, my brother in law has a business there hiring them out (plug plug!!) but no, I can't get you mates rates!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
We felt exactly the same about it when we went last year Sarah Jane. We also have family there, and it was our original destination when we first applied for our visa. The thing that struck me the most was how "shiny and new" everything seemed there. We stayed in Mindarie, north of Perth and the marina there is full of million dollar yachts. The city is ultra modern compared to Adelaide, I'm not saying that's a good thing, I'm just making a comment before anybody starts jumping up and down!!!

quote]

Thats exactly how I felt Liz about perth! We also stayed in mindarie, we thought only the rich must live there, but walking round at night time I was surprised to see the amount of "tradies utes" on the drive ways! with Did you go in the pub at the marina...lovely food!! The only 2 things I found i didnt like was the amount of english stuff in the shops and the shops shut on sunday!!

If teh kids were younger I think we would look into an intersate move!

sarah

The only 2 things I found i didnt like was the amount of english stuff in the shops and the shops shut on sunday!!

If teh kids were younger I think we would look into an intersate move!

sarah

I couldnt believe the shops were closed on a Sunday - but then maybe they have that one right? I dont know - they do still have the odd few places if you need groceries (thank goodness!) and even though I was utterly stunned I was hard pushed to get a shop on a Sunday if I desired, I think we would, and could, soon adapt to that one!

:confused: