Friends returning after 6 years here

Jessica Berry

Our friends in Victoria are returning back to the UK in a weeks time after 6 years over here.

The husband wants to return, which I think is more unusual because from things I have read and seen it tends to be the woman who is usually the one that feels the pull to go back.

My friend loves living over here and has a good job, but feels she has to support her husband and as they have 2 young children she wants to keep the family together. Although I think the reality is setting in now and he is already talking about coming back to Australia and they haven't even got to the UK yet!

Guest cunnah10
Our friends in Victoria are returning back to the UK in a weeks time after 6 years over here.

The husband wants to return, which I think is more unusual because from things I have read and seen it tends to be the woman who is usually the one that feels the pull to go back.

My friend loves living over here and has a good job, but feels she has to support her husband and as they have 2 young children she wants to keep the family together. Although I think the reality is setting in now and he is already talking about coming back to Australia and they haven't even got to the UK yet!

take if from somebody who knows....IT IS A HUGE DECISION!!!

and he may well regret making the move back...Although for some that i know it was the right decision to move back!

If he is already even thinking of moving back to Australia after moving back to the UK then i would be very worried if i was his wife!

It can financially cripple you being a PING PONGER!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jon T

We moved back home after being in Adelaide for a year because my wife missed her family a lot. We had similar thoughts to your friends prior to leaving Adelaide. Within weeks of returning home we realised we had made a very costly mistake and moved back to Adelaide the same year. Generally, both my wife, me and the kids are now very happy.

I can confidently say that had we not become "ping pongers"my wife would not have settled here first time around. An expensive mistake yes, but one that we have definitely learned from.

We moved back home after being in Adelaide for a year because my wife missed her family a lot. We had similar thoughts to your friends prior to leaving Adelaide. Within weeks of returning home we realised we had made a very costly mistake and moved back to Adelaide the same year. Generally, both my wife, me and the kids are now very happy.

I can confidently say that had we not become "ping pongers"my wife would not have settled here first time around. An expensive mistake yes, but one that we have definitely learned from.

Our friends flew back to the UK this weekend, so it will be interesting to watch how things pan out. We returned to the UK for a holiday for my brothers wedding after being here 18 months, a week in Nottingham was all we needed to know we had made the right decision. I don't think until you emigrate you realise the pull of being away from friends and family and I think this is probably the number 1 reason people go back. In our friends case, that was not the reason for returning.

Guest mayjess

Definately nothing wrong with coming back the UK, except the cost of it all, because if I had not returned back here then I would still be miserable in OZ, atleast now I will go back with more appreciation and acceptance, I didnt allow myself to be happy in OZ, how could I when I was pining for home? you need to come back when you feel like that to get it all out of your sytem so to speak. I dont regret coming back to the UK (been bk 2yrs now) as i know next time il be in OZ happier and in a completely different mindset, which will then help with the peace of mind of the rest of the immediate family, I hope I can in turn assist someone else who goes through what I went through!

Mayjess

Guest cazzie

We are in the UK on a three week holiday and still two weeks to go - thank goodness! I am loving being back in the UK - it is SO beautiful in the Northamptonshire countryside. I am loving being back in the family fold too and will find it very hard to get back on the plane. If it wasn't for Bill, I wouldn't be going back. Good luck to anyone making the decision but England isn't so bad. I do miss the sea, but that's about it!

Guest mayjess

I agree the UK isnt so bad, reasons for moving away have to be personal for you & your family, the UK is where our history is, such as were we went to school, our families living close by etc etc its familiarity, and thats what we miss when we emmigrate, so deciding to move away has to be for the right reasons, and for those returning, I empathise with you, its really hard, but can be done, and for those returning bk to OZ thats just as hard as going in the 1st place, were all on our own little journeys in life, no one is always right and no-one is always wrong, explore your own lives in your own ways, I would never be influenced by one person saying OZ is the be end and all end, then another saying its the worst place on the planet, go decide for yourselves, dont think your life will be worse or better until you have a try!!!!

Mayjess

Guest Fancy a Beer

We got friends moving back to Scotland having been here in Adelaide for over 7 years, got 3 kids and just decided they had enough of Oz living!! Not sure they making the right decision but each to their own!! :err:

Guest cunnah10
Definately nothing wrong with coming back the UK, except the cost of it all, because if I had not returned back here then I would still be miserable in OZ, atleast now I will go back with more appreciation and acceptance, I didnt allow myself to be happy in OZ, how could I when I was pining for home? you need to come back when you feel like that to get it all out of your sytem so to speak. I dont regret coming back to the UK (been bk 2yrs now) as i know next time il be in OZ happier and in a completely different mindset, which will then help with the peace of mind of the rest of the immediate family, I hope I can in turn assist someone else who goes through what I went through!

Mayjess

You have been a great support to me on here...offered me lots of advice..AND made me realize that I wasn't "mentally unbalanced" after all (although my hubby would disagree)!

It was great to hear from somebody who had been through it also AND could relate to everything!

Although we have not had the chance to meet up....I want to thank you for your support!

And everything is going to plan for us now!!!

Gill xxx

Guest mayjess
You have been a great support to me on here...offered me lots of advice..AND made me realize that I wasn't "mentally unbalanced" after all (although my hubby would disagree)!

It was great to hear from somebody who had been through it also AND could relate to everything!

Although we have not had the chance to meet up....I want to thank you for your support!

And everything is going to plan for us now!!!

Gill xxx

Gill you are very welcome, and ditto, you have also helped me, especially with estate agents (coming round Fri) im so scared, but seriously, I dont think anyone can predict or presume how anyone will feel regarding moving away from your home, some ppl may think they know how they will feel or some ppl may think that those ppl who move to OZ and return are absolutley off their heads or didnt give it long enough or didnt even try etc etc etc, but you cannot begin to imagine the heartache homesickness brings unless you have been there, but it can be dealt with and even overcome, were living proof of that, seen as though were giving it another go!!! so the thanks are straight back at ya Gill.

Mayjess

Guest TC for short

Have to say that although homesickness is probably at the top of the list, there are myriad and complex reasons why people (myself included) end up returning to the UK. I also think that because the individuals in a family often have conflicting opinions the move back can be even more traumatic than the move out. It doesn't help either that there will nearly always be someone if not quite saying "I told you so" then at least looking at you with more than a trace of Schadenfreude.

I'm still not sure we came to the right decision, but as in Australia we'll give it everything whilst not ruling out anything.

TC

Guest caoimhe
I also think that because the individuals in a family often have conflicting opinions the move back can be even more traumatic than the move out. TC

Well we haven't 'ping ponged' yet but I honestly think that the decision to go back must be a lot harder to make than the one to come here in the begining and if necessary the return here. None of us know how we will feel when we get here, we all have our good and bad days. We also don't know how lucky we will be with jobs and making friends etc which obviously will help us all settle eventually.I have just been laid off from my job and at the minute want to run back home but can't, but saying that if things get so bad then I can and will. Never say never, it is an expensive decision but its not life or death, thats what I keep telling myself anyway:skeptical:

Guest cunnah10
Well we haven't 'ping ponged' yet but I honestly think that the decision to go back must be a lot harder to make than the one to come here in the begining and if necessary the return here. None of us know how we will feel when we get here, we all have our good and bad days. We also don't know how lucky we will be with jobs and making friends etc which obviously will help us all settle eventually.I have just been laid off from my job and at the minute want to run back home but can't, but saying that if things get so bad then I can and will. Never say never, it is an expensive decision but its not life or death, thats what I keep telling myself anyway:skeptical:

Arr Jacqui I am SO sorry to hear that you have been laid off from your Job!!!

Hope you find something else soon!

Chin up hun...thinking of you!!!!

Gill xxxxx

Guest cunnah10
Gill you are very welcome, and ditto, you have also helped me, especially with estate agents (coming round Fri) im so scared, but seriously, I dont think anyone can predict or presume how anyone will feel regarding moving away from your home, some ppl may think they know how they will feel or some ppl may think that those ppl who move to OZ and return are absolutley off their heads or didnt give it long enough or didnt even try etc etc etc, but you cannot begin to imagine the heartache homesickness brings unless you have been there, but it can be dealt with and even overcome, were living proof of that, seen as though were giving it another go!!! so the thanks are straight back at ya Gill.

Mayjess

Good luck with Estate agent this Friday hun...are you having the same estate agent round that i have used?

I know ALL the staff there ...they are LOVELY!!

Mention "me"...AND let me know the name of the person that comes out to give you a valuation (i'm curious)

I will tell them to LOOK AFTER YOU (lol)

Gill xxx

Guest cunnah10

Mayjess

must make arrangement to meet up soon .... be nice to get together before we both head back to Adelaide (my god we probably live less than 3 miles away at the mo)

Gill x

Guest the4hopes
Good luck with Estate agent this Friday hun...are you having the same estate agent round that i have used?

I know ALL the staff there ...they are LOVELY!!

Mention "me"...AND let me know the name of the person that comes out to give you a valuation (i'm curious)

I will tell them to LOOK AFTER YOU (lol)

Gill xxx

Hi Gill, Have I missed this? Are you coming back?

Laura x

Guest spannaelephant

Hi Cazzie,

Where abouts in Northamptonshire are you, we just came over in Feb from there..............., so all my friends are there and my husbands family. Have a good holiday and enjoy.............I'm sooo jealous

Anna x

We are in the UK on a three week holiday and still two weeks to go - thank goodness! I am loving being back in the UK - it is SO beautiful in the Northamptonshire countryside. I am loving being back in the family fold too and will find it very hard to get back on the plane. If it wasn't for Bill, I wouldn't be going back. Good luck to anyone making the decision but England isn't so bad. I do miss the sea, but that's about it!

Guest cazzie
Hi Cazzie,

Where abouts in Northamptonshire are you, we just came over in Feb from there..............., so all my friends are there and my husbands family. Have a good holiday and enjoy.............I'm sooo jealous

Anna x

Hello Anna,

We are in a little village on the Northants/Leics border called Middleton, Nr Corby. Bill and I are Corby born and bred (but don't let that put you off!). We are staying with my mum at the moment and on Saturday we will be moving into my daughter's house in Kettering for the last week. I am having a brilliant time and the countryside has never looked so beautiful. We had our wedding anniversary meal at The Finch's Arms pub in Hambleton overlooking Rutland Water on Tuesday and it was just beautiful. The stunning views just made me cry and it all seemed so much classier than SA!

I am dreading going back to SA!

Thanks for the good wishes,

Cazzie x

Guest cunnah10
Hello Anna,

We are in a little village on the Northants/Leics border called Middleton, Nr Corby. Bill and I are Corby born and bred (but don't let that put you off!). We are staying with my mum at the moment and on Saturday we will be moving into my daughter's house in Kettering for the last week. I am having a brilliant time and the countryside has never looked so beautiful. We had our wedding anniversary meal at The Finch's Arms pub in Hambleton overlooking Rutland Water on Tuesday and it was just beautiful. The stunning views just made me cry and it all seemed so much classier than SA!

I am dreading going back to SA!

Thanks for the good wishes,

Cazzie x

glad to hear you are enjoying your time in the UK with family & friends.....hope it's NOT going to be too upsetting when it's time to head back to Adelaide!

Guest cazzie
glad to hear you are enjoying your time in the UK with family & friends.....hope it's NOT going to be too upsetting when it's time to head back to Adelaide!

Thanks Gill,

I think it will be very upsetting, I hate the thought of leaving my mum and kids again, but it HAS been brilliant seeing them. We do have a move to Hallett Cove to look forward to at the end of August and I have to look for a teaching job as I'm fully Aussie qualified now, so there is plenty to focus on. I am looking forward to being near the sea again too, so not all bad. Are you coming back to Oz?

Hope you are all ok,

Guest cazzie

Hi Amanda,

Northampton/shire just looks beautiful! No major changes except for Corby - our poor old redundant steel town is changing rapidly under the regeneration with a fabulous new olympic swimming pool, train station, fabulous 'cube' theatre complex and new town centre - much, much better! We just need a cinema now. The weather is 25 sunny today - yay! - and the long light nights are fab. Back to Adelaide tomorrow though, sigh....

Guest cunnah10
Hi Amanda,

Northampton/shire just looks beautiful! No major changes except for Corby - our poor old redundant steel town is changing rapidly under the regeneration with a fabulous new olympic swimming pool, train station, fabulous 'cube' theatre complex and new town centre - much, much better! We just need a cinema now. The weather is 25 sunny today - yay! - and the long light nights are fab. Back to Adelaide tomorrow though, sigh....

Good Luck Cazzie with your journey back to Adelaide!! xxxx

Guest mollybailey

Hi cazzie,

dont worry summer wont be long hotter days and nights just keep thinking why you left in the first place!!! enjoy the flight back hopefully to some sun

amanda

Just thought I would update you on my friend that went back in the UK - she loves it! She has been accepted on a 1 year Uni course that you can only get onto if you have lived abroad and have plenty of 'life and relevant work experience', they are in the process of buying a house and so far so good.