7 months in adelaide my view

Guest happy feet

Guest happy feet

hi this is happy feets husband havent posted before but i would like to give my view of my first 7 months here.this post is neither to encourage or discourage people to come stay or leave its just a brief personal view.we arrivedin feb 09 came from snow in b/pool to 45 degree heat here caught a taxi to our temp accom we had reseched n found on the net.we were expecting modern 4 bed appartments but found a 1950s style maissonet for three we then handed over $1600 dollars to the landloard ( if u can callhim that) for 4 weeks rent.what could we do all jet laged an tired and new to everything we paid an hoped things would get better .we then entered the rental rat race over the next 4 weeks we viewed properties from the city findon brighton aberfolye downto seaford often walking round with20 other people all viewin at the same tme madness.we finnaly got a rental in hallet cove when we moved in it wasnt even clean spent half the day cleaning it .it wa ok in the summer but in winter its freezing we have had to invest in electric blankets and fires but still have our fleeces on most of the time.after settllin the kids in at the local school(no mean feat we moved them after one term) i started lookin for work,i worked in construction for the last ten years ground working but after several phone calls and interviews it became apparent it was a non starter being on the457 visa(or how he SA gov can screw u out of money and give nothing back) cara being a nurse has to work fulltime earys lates nights conruction start times are around 7 am so with workin round the kids made it impossible .not to be beaten i recently paid to get my security licence $800 a six day course lots of immigrants on it myself serbians indians romanians but guess who was the only one paying out of his own pocket thats right me everyone else paid by centerlink.iam now waiting for my licence 6 to 8 weeks it costs $240 but the SA gov(what a fine body of men n women they are) take a one off payment of $360 off u thanks!!! no one seems to no why .thats just about it i am not a member of the i love adelaide nor the i hate adelaide brigade i just feel disapointed we had high hopes when we set off 7 months ago and we are sitll tryin to make it work but i dio feel in 5 months we will be heading home .so good luck to any one comming over staying or going home cause we all need it whatever choice we make.the 3 main popular likes about adelaide are the views the beaches and the friendly people( not sure on the last one) and i agree but it dosnt really amount to much if everything else isnt workin out.cheers

Guest lastboyscout

Hello Happyfeets OH ;)

It is sad to hear of the hard time anyone has here TBH, we all have our hard luck stories in one way,shape or form but its the way in which we react which shapes how the future decisions are made (if that makes any sense :err:)

Keep ya chin up, get up and dust yaself down anytime you get knocked down and keep smiling, thats what I keep doing and tomorrow will be that much easier ;)

I really shouldn`t be sniffing the thinners at work , it affects my mood :biglaugh:

Hi Daz, know how u r feeling mate, not having much luck myself on job front even though im better qualified than most of the managers ive met at interviews. All the best for the future whatever u decide to do. We will be going back before the end of the year, its not for my family and with the sound of little feet coming early next year it will soon be time for us to head on back to our roots.

Steve.

Guest kangomik

Happy feets hubby, excellent post. This will help a lot of people. We were lucky with a rental but there are some real dumps out there for mega bucks rent!

Good luck over the comming months, you will soon be able to turn those blankets off!!!

I thought Lancashire was cold at night but we too have fleeces on most nights, the relies can't believe it!

Must admit we've been here for 3 months on a 457 visa and I was extremely stressed about hubby getting a job, I'd heard it could be hard on a temporary visa, however he had a few weeks off to sort out rentals and furniture and stuff, started looking (in construction) and started work 2 weeks later. Put his CV onto seek and an agency (Ranstad, based at Henley beach Rd) picked it up, told him to make some changes, said they had a few jobs he would match up to. More money an hour than at home too (which wasn't difficult!) so we were really lucky in that respect.

HOWEVER, I will say we don't have kids, I can understand how hard it would be to work around that as hubby is out the house by 6, the yard is now moving so it will take him longer to get there soon, I'm also nursing, having to work full time, late, earlies,nights and we're both absolutely knackered, with me getting only 1 in 3 weekends off, doesn't leave much time to see the country we came to live in.:arghh:

We're just in the process of applying for PR, (gonna cost us a packet) in the hope I can cut my hours or move jobs (preferably both) just so that we can have some time to travel around OZ as we came all this way. Not sure if we'll stay( we still have the house in the Uk, tenants moving out in September so we'll have to pay the mortgage too if we don't get someone else in )but would like to have a little more time than the 457 gives and we haven't experienced a summer yet, in fact the double winter is taking it's toll and making me very grumpy:embarrassed:

Hope it all sorts itself out for you happy feet family, just seems a shame when you've come all this way that you don't get a bit more help. By the way, we're at Hallett Cove too, seems to rain more up here! No-one beleives us either that it's cold, my Dad kept asking if we had sun tans yet, and why did we have coats on in the pictures!!!!!!Because it's bloody cold!!

I am sorry to hear of so many people having such a hard time of it over here, all i can say really is good effort better to have tried than to have not tried at all.

We have had some bad times, and when i say bad i mean pretty bloody awful, we could have thrown the towel in on several occasions but were still here, fighting away picking ourselves up after each knock down.

good luck to you all, in whatever you do wherever it may be.

HG

Good and honest post. Before I came out I loved to read all points of view and all experiences not just the - through the rose tinted glasses ones! And though we have settled really well - it is not for everyone - and there is no shame in going home, it is not throwing in the towel - it is about doing what is best for you and your family.

The very best of luck - whatever your furture decision may be.

:)

Guest kangomik

I have to admit we did back to back winters last year, and last winter was no where near as wet as this one. Saying that it did take its toll. We were in the pub the other week and i asked a lad what he thought after 8 weeks here, he said its just like being in the UK.

Trust me when the blue skys come, and the warmth is there day and night the smiles will grow on your faces.

You will have some great times out and about.

Try to do a full summer before deciding, i know money will be key in this.

I have to admit we did back to back winters last year, and last winter was no where near as wet as this one. Saying that it did take its toll. We were in the pub the other week and i asked a lad what he thought after 8 weeks here, he said its just like being in the UK.

Trust me when the blue skys come, and the warmth is there day and night the smiles will grow on your faces.

You will have some great times out and about.

Try to do a full summer before deciding, i know money will be key in this.

Thats it mate, i will happily take this cold, wet weather in return for the 6 or so months if nice long summer days....bring it on and let the sun shine on, shine on....

HG

Guest marko

Hi Funny Feet and hubby, sorry to hear of the tough time you have had in S.A., we came out from the UK a while ago now and although things were tough to start with ( 3 kids and neither of us had a job) we found the people welcoming and helpful. I really hope you manage to find a secure job and that the tide turns, hey guys dont give up hope ... the tide will surely turn. All the best, Marko.

Guest the dobsons

hi all

well weve been here 4 months now and although i wouldnt say i love it i wouldnt say i hate it either. i know deep down it is better than the uk as my two sons have both got apprenterships which they could not get in the uk and even though the weather is ok to us the ozy people are all misirable as it is there winter! so i know it will get better.

just one tip for anyone in the uk dont watch programs on the tv like wanted down under as it gives you a false idea of the real day to day life try and come for a holiday first and see for yourself.

good luck

Just wanted to write something a little possitive from my perspective, we came last november, my husband had been offered a Job and we came on a permanent visa (I know this makes a difference) so work/money worries weren't an issue for him/us, we have three daughters all school age.

In the Uk I worked in the local hospital as a healthcare assistant for 5 years and had gained many qualifications but when I arrived here and I spoke to several healthcare agencies employers I found my qualifiactions meant for nothing and retraining would cost well over a $1000 (cert 3) after reading on here people advised just get a Job any Job get references it will be the starting lift you need (so to speak) Australian don't easily employ people without references, so thats what I did I started at the bottom, In February I took a cleaning Job with a community healthcare agency there was no training cost the pay and was better than I got for working as a healthcare assistant in a hospital in the Uk (much better) the hours I work are only school hours and someone else covers during school holidays and I have plenty of work, recently I have been offered through the company I work for an opportunity to get qualified in becoming healthcare assistant here (cert 3 & 4) for $530 of course I excepted.

We have been lucky and having a permanent visa has made a difference for us, I understand you can't live on a cleaners wage, my story is only just mean't to be encouraging, I think we are all amazing to take this biggest leap of faith in our lives some will have better luck than others here, sometime's we just have to (like me) start at the bottom.

Julie

Guest billyblanch

Hi everyone i would just like to say that i can over here to australia aprox 2 years ago on a working holiday visa. I have met so many people who have given up hope beacuse of lack of work and housing etc!

All i can say is that you have to look at your location. I mean adelaide is not exactly the most busyest city in AUS for work? especially construction. I have worked in melbourne nearly the whole time i have been here and have not had a drama until a few weeks ago when work started to slow due to the recession!

Which now has made me relocate to Adelaide for a new sponser and new job! i guess its all luck of the draw! and all about searching no matter where it will take you in Australia!

One other point i would like to stress is that its all good and well returning back to the Uk, But at this time the way the UK is surly you would be better of in a country which has be nowhere near affected by this whole global ression compared to the UK?

I wish everyone luck in whatever choices that they make! but think about it very veyr seriously before heading back home! too many people i know have returned and realised it was a massive mistake!

good luck guys!

Greg

Guest lastboyscout

A couple of my fellow Poms who have recently arrived here asked me to sum it up after my 14months here, and this sums it up perfectly for me........

`SAME ****, SHINIER BUCKET!!!!!` ;)

Guest covfan71

We are coming over next Sept and although we will hopefully be financially secure for the first 6 months the prospect of not finding work is a worrying factor. We have 2 little girls who will still be in nursery and being on a 475 we will not be entitled to any benefits. We willl rent at first and will not buy a property until we are 100% we are staying. Due to the housing market over here we will probably rent our UK house out for a while and see what happens in Oz. Would hate to find that it's not for us and come back to nothing.

p.s i take it not many homes have central heating ythen.

MArk

Guest DianeJ

Hi Mark,

No central heating here in Aus, just make sure that your rental has both heating and cooling. Can't get my girls out of bed on cold mornings !

Diane

Guest guest3462

Hi, we're on a 457 visa and I have to admit although it has been terrifically hard and sometimes soul destroying, with all the downers and obstacles that seem to pop up every single day, we have settled into life here in Adelaide really well. The girls are having the time of their lives and we have made the best friends we have ever had in the short space of 7 months. We have built a beautiful house in Aldinga beach and Rich has just started the most exciting job which he would never get the opportunity to experience in the UK (Helicopter rescue squad). I am a nurse (health visitor) and cannot get work in my field and so have to return to general nursing which is not really in my long term plans, but needs must and hopefully sometime soon a vacancy in child health will come up. We are planning to apply for PR before xmas but we still don't know if Rich's medical qualifications will be accepted fully in Oz. We do however still have a house in the UK (and my OH still has his job at Jimmys there!) so if we don't manage to sell that house or if it all goes belly up with his work then we will have to return to the motherland.

And although the thought of me having to take my family back home to the UK fills me with dread, I totally understand that you must do what is right for you and your family. I wish you all the luck in the world if you decide to go back, and just remember, that you can only ever regret things that you didn't do, there's no harm in trying and no shame or failure in deciding that a better life for you and your family is back home.

Good luck x

Guest happy feet
We are coming over next Sept and although we will hopefully be financially secure for the first 6 months the prospect of not finding work is a worrying factor. We have 2 little girls who will still be in nursery and being on a 475 we will not be entitled to any benefits. We willl rent at first and will not buy a property until we are 100% we are staying. Due to the housing market over here we will probably rent our UK house out for a while and see what happens in Oz. Would hate to find that it's not for us and come back to nothing.

p.s i take it not many homes have central heating ythen.

MArk

Sorry Mark, No central heating, or double glazing..Bring thick quilts and electric blankets, winter might not be that cold outside, but bloody freezing inside.... Good luck

Guest Guest75

2 things.

Thanks for your post Happy Feet and OH.

Nice to see this thread keeping on track.

OK 3 things.

Give these guys some moral support - they deserve it!!!!!

Onya Happyfeet family:notworthy::notworthy:

Sorry Mark, No central heating, or double glazing..Bring thick quilts and electric blankets, winter might not be that cold outside, but bloody freezing inside.... Good luck

Agreed - if you can use a fan to move the hot air about, it works really well - bring your UK warm stuff!

But make sure you bring your sunnies too!

To the Happy Feet family, hope all goes better for you moving forwards - we found time spent networking is rarely wasted, as who you know counts for a lot - we got both our rental and my job from networking - neither were advertised....

Interestingly, not found being on a 475 a problem - cpunting down the weeks until we can say "visa conditions met"......we have same issues with childcare, so my wife not working at the moment.

Guest cazzie

Hi Happy Feet and husband,

I feel so sad reading your post, what a shame things have been so hard, especially when you are trying SO hard. I just want to wish you all the best in the future and hope that things work out for you. Best wishes,

Guest Rob and Clare

This is a very different Adelaide to 4 years ago when we arrived. Back then it felt as though most industries would take anyone on who had 2 arms and legs, I had 9 jobs offers in the first 2 years from Telephone call centre work to Purchasing Manager, and I worked in 7 of those Jobs, but now there isn't the same quantity of jobs around and employers seem to be choosier, maybe not in every industry but certainly some industries.

Good Luck Happy Feet Family