A bit concerned about internet safety

Guest Fly Away

Guest Fly Away

Hi all,

Today I've seen some lovely threads by kids on here.:wubclub:

However I am a bit concerned that they are giving their names and ages and where they live. Please be careful. Perhaps you could use your parent's login names - for example I am Flyaway, my child would be Little Flyaway or Baby Flyaway or Flyaway junior.

Hope you take this in the spirit it is intended. :wubclub:

Guest bugbabe

Hi Flyaway,

I completely agree. My daughter has her own user and I am fine with that because she knows I monitor everything. I like your idea about their user names being linked to parents-wish I had thought of that! I think that as long as parents are aware and teach their children about the dangers of the internet they will be fine.

Nice to see others looking out for kids :)

Guest Wersal Gummage

Here;s a copy of a post I added to the Kids forum a while ago.

I found it on page 3 or 4, I think it should have been added to the top of the kids forum for them all to read but I presume the powers that be thought different.

Hi kids, your friendly scarecrow here.

You may have got the impression from some of the above posts that this forum, chat room, and the PM system are safe.

The fact is, That couldn't be further from the truth.

You do not know who you are chatting to in the Chat room or when you PM someone unless you have already met them face to face.

Take me for instance.

Am I a 57 year old scarecrow ?

Or

Am I a 20 year old woman ?

Or

Am I a 10 year old Girl ?

You see, you just don't know who you are chatting to or sending a PM to.

Here are 5 points that should help keep you safe.

1: Keep your personal information to yourself.

2: People may not be who they say they are.

3: Don't open attachments from people you don't know.

4: Tell your Parents or someone you trust if you're chatting on line and something seems not quite right..

5: Meeting on line strangers alone is dangerous.

There are people out there who spend every waking hour collecting little bits of personal information about you.

Don't use your real name when you're on line, make one up, ask your Mum or Dad to help you think of one.

Never give out information about your family or yourself and Never tell anyone your real name, phone number, address, where you go to school or where you like to play.

Don’t share pictures of yourself or your family with people you have never met.

As Django mentioned, by all means go into the chat room on this forum, but please remember the above points and stay safe.

The Moderator "Rachiegarlo" has also put some safety messages on the kids forum but once again they have slipped to page 3 or 4 never to be read again.

Of course the management on here care a great deal about child safety on the forum but it is very easy to overlook.

Maybe a dedicated childrens forum moderator would be the way to go or how about making one of the older kids that use the forum into a teeniemoderator :jiggy:

This is a subject well worth talking about so well done for mentioning it.

Guest Guest75
Here;s a copy of a post I added to the Kids forum a while ago.

I found it on page 3 or 4, I think it should have been added to the top of the kids forum for them all to read but I presume the powers that be thought different.

The Moderator "Rachiegarlo" has also put some safety messages on the kids forum but once again they have slipped to page 3 or 4 never to be read again.

Of course the management on here care a great deal about child safety on the forum but it is very easy to overlook.

Maybe a dedicated childrens forum moderator would be the way to go or how about making one of the older kids that use the forum into a teeniemoderator :jiggy:

This is a subject well worth talking about so well done for mentioning it.

A good topic to bring up - in fact we all need to be careful as this is not a cosy little meet in a pub but a world wide access group.

I have seen recently a rise in mobile numbers and email addies given out - not wise as these are harvested.

I have been subject to some huge email and spam attacks ove rthe years .

Good idea to give your family internet nicknames as suggested by Fly Away - ,we've had mrs Tyke and Little Tyke in outr family for years.

Wersal - I actually agree with you and things are underway - can you read Mod's minds?????

Thanks for discussing this guys.