• 1 Post By Lea
    • 1 Post By guest3462
    • 1 Post By vijnit
    • 1 Post By Trakki

Thread: Help with immunisation advice and health visitors

wemadeit

Help with immunisation advice and health visitors

Hi

Can anyone please advise how I go about getting my daughters immunisations registered with medicare. I went into my doctors and when I asked about health visitors etc and looking at her immunisations they didn't have a clue. We're on a sponsored SIR 495 visa and I'm trying to see if we can claim for any help towards childcare costs. In order to do this, I need to have her immunisations up to date and registered with medicare. Also, do they do regular check ups on children over here to see if they are developing properly?

Any advice would be gratefully received. Many thanks. Catherine

Lea

Title
      Liked
      61 times
      Rep
      Hi,

Have a look here for the current schedule - http://www.health.sa.gov.au/pehs/Imm...n-schedule.pdf

The nurse at the practice should be able to log which immunisations have already been given against the Aussie ones and also local councils usually do an immunisation service.

As far as I am aware there is no assistance with child care expenses on the 495 visa.

Kids get a pre school check when they are at kindy (4 years).

Hope this helps

Lea
      wemadeit likes this.

guest3462
      Hi there are no health visitors in SA, which is a shame because I am one and I can't get a job!!!! The nearest thing is a child and family health nurse. There are clinics dotted about Adelaide and many health centres have one attached to them. There are also immunisation drop in clinics which are bulk billed to medicare. If you go and see the child health nurse, she will do a health check and send all your immunisation details off to the medicare database for you, they will then be automatically transferred onto the medicare immunisation register. You need to take your red book though as they will not accept word of mouth that they are up to date with immunisations.
      Did you know that you could also be entitled to more child benefit money if they are fully immunised? Check it out and centrelink.
      As far as help with childcare costs, I think you'll struggle getting any assistance. We're on 457 and are entitled to nothing! :-(
      Hope this helps.
      Julia x
      wemadeit likes this.

vijnit
      Agreed with Churchj1's comments. We recently wanted all our 15mths old's immunisations record updated here. We took the red book with us (with his current immunisation record) to our local Drs and they copied the details and uploaded the info on line, on his medicare record. There are a few we don't get in the UK, which are "Hepatitus B" and a "chickenpox" jab which he will be getting in the next few months.
      Wnen the Dr's do say it's done - check on line - or go to your local medicare office after a few days, to make sure the current immunisations are listed properly as done, as they made a mistake originally on my sons record to show that they were all due!, which we had to get corrected.
      Good luck!
      wemadeit likes this.

Title
      Seaford Meadows, Adelaide, AUSTRALIA woohoo
      Liked
      264 times
      Rep
      Like said before just go to see the nurse at your Drs and she should enter them onto the database, there will be a few like Hep B and chicken pox (unless they have actually had chicken pox) that they will need to catch up on before you get any benefit. Once they are entered on the database you will get a letter telling you if they are behind with anything. You will have to take your red book but the nurse will be able to help. Some of the vaccines are different here that has caused some confusion with them saying the kids have not had them when they have and they have things at different ages here but the nurse should be able to help with this, the nurse at our Drs has been great with this. Then when they are all up to date you should be able to go to the centre link office and they will sort out what you will get.

Can't help with child care cost etc as we are on a different visa but I do believe from taliking to others that you can't claim on your visa

HTH a bit
      wemadeit likes this.

wemadeit
      Thanks for all your responses - I will arrange to go and see the Dr's/Nurses and update the records accordingly - things seem a lot clearer now.

Many thanks all.

Catherine

Title
      Liked
      132 times
      Rep
      This is a bit of minefield, and something we've come up against recently when we registered our little one for nursery (because they do ask!), but it's a good point to be noted for anyone about to leave the UK.

We arranged with our GP back there to have all of our medical histories to be printed off for us. We had to order them about two weeks ahead of our departure date, and it cost about 70 for the three of us, but it means that we now have everything to hand - including all of the dates of our son's immunisations (and everything from childhood for myself and my OH).

Title
      Liked
      436 times
      Rep
      Thta brilliant thanks for that, this is very helpful post. I am trying to get my daughters 12mth ones done before we come out. So will ask the docs for all our records. It was on the adelaide bounds checklist so we new we might need to get them but now we know we do.

Thanks
      Michelle
      Michelle, Phil, Nathan, and Libby. PR175 arrived Oct 2009
      http://rideabikeright.com.au/

Glenda
      Quote Originally Posted by churchj1 View Post
      Hi there are no health visitors in SA, which is a shame because I am one and I can't get a job!!!! The nearest thing is a child and family health nurse. There are clinics dotted about Adelaide and many health centres have one attached to them. There are also immunisation drop in clinics which are bulk billed to medicare. If you go and see the child health nurse, she will do a health check and send all your immunisation details off to the medicare database for you, they will then be automatically transferred onto the medicare immunisation register. You need to take your red book though as they will not accept word of mouth that they are up to date with immunisations.
      Did you know that you could also be entitled to more child benefit money if they are fully immunised? Check it out and centrelink.
      As far as help with childcare costs, I think you'll struggle getting any assistance. We're on 457 and are entitled to nothing! :-(
      Hope this helps.
      Julia x
      Hi Julia,

I just noticed that you are a Health Visitor and you havent been able to get a job. I am also a Health Visitor and hope to arrive in Adelaide in the Spring 2010. I knew that they dont have Health Visitors there but is it really proving very hard to get a job? What are the pitfalls you are coming up against? and do you have any advice for me? I have updated some of my skills, like carrying out immunisations (which I hadnt done for years) as I thought I might be required to immunise. Any information would be really helpful. How long have you been in SA?

Glenda

•  
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums