Getting Citizenship really not worth the hassle!

Guest Fancy a Beer

Guest Fancy a Beer

We decided we would go down the normal route of becoming Aussie Ctitizens, as many do, if I knew then what I know now theres no way I would of bothered!!

Cut a long story very short,

1) Did the test, paid the (I think large) fee for each of us

2) Now we get a letter, the birth certificate I have used for the last 30+ years is apparently not suitable for citizenship, this is the same certificate I used to get the visa into this country and the same one that has been produced many times since to prove who I am! Suddenly I now need to apply for a FULL certificate, at some ridiculous cost and hassle!!

3) Been here nearly 3 years so the police checks are out of date, now apparently we need to provide 2 new ones because we left Australia for a short time, at a cost of ANOTHER $80 each, need to be submitted in the UK and paid in Sterling, impossible if you dont have a UK bank account or someone willing to stump up the cash in the UK for you, or over come a massive bank charge to create a cheque!

4) The costs at present is nearing $1000, to get us to the stage of citizenship, strongly feeling we really cant be bothered, would be easier not to!!!

5) Oh and all of the above HAS to be done by 3rd Sept or citizenship will be declined and that I am pretty sure will open up a whole new can of worms!!

This country is so full of red tape and out of date procedures, the more we are here the more frustrating it seems to get!! We feel it is just one thing after another with the frustrations growing, surprised the internet not crashed while posting this thread, normally does thats another frustration and a whole other long winded story!! Running a company here is equally stressful but again another VERY long story...

Anyway any "helpful" tips or advice given the above situation, gratefully received!!

Its only Monday morning and I already feel like a HUGE glass of wine!! :)

Anyway any "helpful" tips or advice given the above situation, gratefully received!!

Plan ahead. None of those things requested are unreasonable and $1000 doesn't seem that bad of a fee to me, considering it's cheaper than my spousal visa was. As far as red tape and procedures, the UK was the worst, in my opinion, for that!

Full birth certs are required for many things. The Uk embassy had me jumping through hoops to get a new passport , even though Canberra had issued me two of the old black ones. I had to send away to the Uk for a copy of my parent's marriage cert and my father's birth cert(full). It is the way of the world, since increased checking and security has come into force. To renew a Uk passport from here cost above $300. The costs do add up so if you feel it is too much hassle, then maybe you are not ready to make this step. Once you do you will then have to fork out for Aus passports aswell to leave and enter the country with. You will have to enrol on the registers to vote and have to vote when the time comes, you may have to do jury duty at some point. BUT the plus side is you can get a job with ASIO :biglaugh:

I guess there is no other way and you have to do what you have to. Somethings may not be up to the speed that it is in Europe but beurocrats are everywhere and they like beurocracy to keep themselves in jobs.

Hi There

What a very interesting thread, We are in the UK at the moment but will be arriving back to Adelaide next year to complete our 2 years out the five, to get our residence visa. Is there anything else that we should be ready for ?

Thanks

Sush.

I didn't realise citizenship was so expensive, $80 sounds a lot of police certs each, can someone in the uk get the form and fill it in for you? Is it more expensive because you are out of the country?

The full birth certificate is often an issue for many things these days, so at least once you have it, it will be easier in future for you.

Everyone seems to be jumping on you a bit here, you did say, long story cut short and are probably on here just venting, so I wish you luck in sorthing it all out.

Guest mayjess

We needed the full birth cert to apply for our visa`s, Im really surprised you have never been asked to produce them,, with regards to costs , I understand how frustrated you are, its a lot of money, but honestly, try to get your citizenship, its will be worth it in the long run, you & your family will have dual nationality, thats what counts it can opn up so many other doors for you. At least when its done, its done, you can put the costs behind you then and move on with your life.

Good luck & stay positive

Mayjess

Guest Martin and Val

If this helps you can get a full copy of any BMD certificate by applying to the registration district that you were Born or married in for a cost of £7. This can very often be done via a telephone call direct to them late at night Aussie time. You can pay on line with your master/visa card and the rate of exchange current at the time will be charged.

Hope this helps

Martin

Guest Guest75

I'm on the fence on this one.

From one side I can't understand why it is much harder and more expensive than when we took citizenship.

But this govt is like every other and like to earn a buck.

:o:)

I can understand your frustration.

Guest Fancy a Beer

Thanks for all your comments, I was steaming earlier and wasnt just citizenship that had really peed me off, trying to run a company here is also very hard at times and it was a Monday morning full of people inc the Aussie Government appearing to be as awkward as possible!!

I can sort of see the police check thing, but the passport thing is just being bloody minded in my opinion but there you go! The costs involved I do think are high!

But no doubt I will stress out some more trying to obtain the information in the time frame and will as they say get there in the end!! :D

Also if you don't get citizenship and you want to be able to leave Australia and return, then you will have to get a Resident Return Visa every 5 years. This currently costs $260.

Obviously if you never want to leave then you don't need to get one, but if you want to travel then you have to weigh up the costs because not getting citizenship will cost you too.

Guest Fancy a Beer

:arghh::arghh:

This just confirms my point totally in that the whole citizenship thing is a load of old ####.

Today my husband gets a letter from the Aus Immigration Department, bearing in mind he came into and left the country exactly the same days and times as me, funnily enough we tend to travel together! Well apparently he doesnt need a police check, its just me! Cant even work that one out??

Yes it is a bonus in that its going to cost us less after all, but how does that make any sense to anyone???

It should surely be one rule for all! Next drama is going to be that we have to produce passports for the kids now and my youngest ran out 3 months ago.................

Guest Fancy a Beer
Also if you don't get citizenship and you want to be able to leave Australia and return, then you will have to get a Resident Return Visa every 5 years. This currently costs $260.

Obviously if you never want to leave then you don't need to get one, but if you want to travel then you have to weigh up the costs because not getting citizenship will cost you too.

Basically Anne the long and short of it, is no matter what you do it will cost you money!! :biglaugh:

Guest Fancy a Beer
Good luck Fancy a Beer,your posts are always forthright and straight,i can often relate to your point of view,keep on keeping on.

Thank you for your comments most appreciated, makes a change getting a positive one rather than a bashing from the "We love Adelaide and everything is perfect here brigade"!! :err:

I've got a close family member who has permanent citizenship and has had for decades.

The only practical difference she sees is that she doesn't have the difficult decision of choosing the least bad candidate at elections.

Police checks here (UK) cost £35 so that is approx $80.

I had to get a copy of my marriage certificate from Adelaide and it cost me $50. Did it all over the internet though - it was remarkably easy.

Hi, I had to get a police check done recently for work, the full PNC and Scottish one and it only cost £10 for both, the woman in the police station said it was the same price what ever station you go to but some of my collegues in the city (i live in the country) had to pay £20 for the same thing, strange????

Hi, I had to get a police check done recently for work, the full PNC and Scottish one and it only cost £10 for both, the woman in the police station said it was the same price what ever station you go to but some of my collegues in the city (i live in the country) had to pay £20 for the same thing, strange????

The police check you have to get done for a visa is different to the ones you get for work, like a CRB check for working with children.

"Police checks are essential for anyone resident in the UK over the age of 16.

You can apply through your local police station or via the website on the following Police link:

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

The current charge for a police check is £35.00 or £75.00 if you need your police check by return of post. "

I applied online it was very straightforward.

Guest caoimhe
The police check you have to get done for a visa is different to the ones you get for work, like a CRB check for working with children.

The police check we got for our visa's cost £10 and that was only 18mths ago