returning at 50?

Guest sadie

Has anyone returned to start all over again at this age? not settled here after 4yrs, mainly missing family, considering a return next year when hopefully jobs etc may of picked up, then have day's when I think just settle for what I have here as maybe too old to move back...my heart is definitely not here though?? love to hear peep's opinions please:unsure:

Guest moonraker1959

I guess it depends on a few things!Where are you intending to go back to?I don't think being 50 will go against you to be honest!What kind of work would you be doing?I personally don't know anyone out of work,and even my daughter who is home from uni managed to secure a full time job whilst home for summer!Sorry don't agree with TACD's comments about it being hard here for your age group?Perhaps he/she can elaborate abit more on that comment?Life is as easy or hard as you want to make it in my opinion!Good luck and hope all goes well for you!

Guest cazzie

Hi Sadie,

Sorry to hear that you are still feeling unsettled here - it's not easy for everyone to settle. If you are seriously thinking about going back then there is the recession to think about at the moment - unemployment is officially rising. However, I agree with Moonraker's view that age should not be a discriminating factor these days - I wouldn't put my age (52) on a CV - and your experience and enthusiasm will count for a lot. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest cunnah10
Hi Sadie,

Sorry to hear that you are still feeling unsettled here - it's not easy for everyone to settle. If you are seriously thinking about going back then there is the recession to think about at the moment - unemployment is officially rising. However, I agree with Moonraker's view that age should not be a discriminating factor these days - I wouldn't put my age (52) on a CV - and your experience and enthusiasm will count for a lot. Good luck with whatever you decide.

have you arrived back in adelaide cazzie?

xxxx

Guest cazzie
have you arrived back in adelaide cazzie?

xxxx

Hello Gill,

Yes thanks, I am back in Adelaide. We arrived yesterday so I am still feeling very tired! I have posted on SSP's thread about the holiday. It was just fab and I can't wait to go back again! Hope you are okay.

Hi Sadie,

50 is the new 40,as they say.I really dont think you are old,either to be here or in the UK.We landed in Adelaide 11 months ago,aged 49 and 51.We thought "big deal",what's our age got to do with anything.We have just gotten on with things,as we always have.You are still young,there is plenty of time to feel "too old"when you really are too old.I would not feel daunted at the thought of going back home,and in fact often we consider seriously if we will be here in a year or two,(Adelaide that is,ha) Do as you feel,you are still a youngster!All the best Sue.

Thank's for all who have replied so far, most encouraging I must say I too do not feel old yet and suppose it is just a number and as you say employer's should not judge by age...just wish there was not a recession on, however 'where there is a will' do not want to end up feeling unsettled here for the rest of my life, reckon 4yrs is long enough trying. However we would also be leaving our Son behind as he is at Uni. here for at least another 3yrs!! another dilemma!

Guest mayjess

Hi Sadie, sorry your feeling unsettled, its not a nice place to be when your feeling like that. Can I ask - have you been back to the UK for a visit since leaving? I think if you have not, this may be the best thing to do 1st, I wish i`d have done this, wouldnt listen to my hubby when he told me to do this, nope I had to go full steam ahead & book the the flights, shippers etc and come back to the UK, only to feel half way home `what the hell have I done`? sometimes a good long trip back to the UK can make your mind up either way to where you would like to live!

We are intending to hopefully come bk to adelaide nxt year, my hubby will be 50 then, and he was initially bothered by this, but Ive told him it shouldnt be a problem, he was worried no-one will employ him also,! it is scary either way and I hope you find some piece of mind soon.

Mayjess

Guest Sharon and Paul

Hi Sadie , What worries me , was getting old in the uk , lets be honest they don't look after there old folks or should I say people in there Autumn years . Sure as you get older you will think about where you come from and have happy memories . Just look out your window in the morning and see the sun shine , everyone is much happier in the uk when it nice and sunny , so for 2 weeks of the year it's great. Take a holiday see your friends , I am sure you will miss your son and want to be back here in sunny Adelaide where they say good morning sir how's yer day ? . ATB Paul

• 1 month later...

Hi my advice to you is come back to the uk for a holiday first we have been trying to come over to Adelaide for three years , but couldnt sell our house:sad: eventully in may it went we hardly made any profit coz of the ressesion an as a result are now a family of 4 living with my parents:unsure: But were very greatfull 2 them were gona save as much as we can an come out next year. It has been such a struggle i dont think its meant 2 be but my hubby an me are desperate to give it a go. we get really down here and are desperate to start our new life. I hope whatever you decide to do makes you happy and more settled but i think if you did come back to the uk on holiday you would wanna go back pretty soon. Best of luck with your decision;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moonraker1959
Hi my advice to you is come back to the uk for a holiday first we have been trying to come over to Adelaide for three years , but couldnt sell our house:sad: eventully in may it went we hardly made any profit coz of the ressesion an as a result are now a family of 4 living with my parents:unsure: But were very greatfull 2 them were gona save as much as we can an come out next year. It has been such a struggle i dont think its meant 2 be but my hubby an me are desperate to give it a go. we get really down here and are desperate to start our new life. I hope whatever you decide to do makes you happy and more settled but i think if you did come back to the uk on holiday you would wanna go back pretty soon. Best of luck with your decision;)
Why would she want to go back pretty soon?It depends where you are from in the UK in my opinion.I live in the south west and its gorgeous!Have you ever been to Oz?I have lived in both countries more years than I care to remember so I think I have a more "balanced" view.The original poster has'nt been way from the UK that long so would I think know what to expect!:arghh:

Why would she want to go back pretty soon?It depends where you are from in the UK in my opinion.I live in the south west and its gorgeous!Have you ever been to Oz?I have lived in both countries more years than I care to remember so I think I have a more "balanced" view.The original poster has'nt been way from the UK that long so would I think know what to expect!:arghh:

I too live in the south west, not far down the road from you it would seem and I certainly wouldn't describe the area as gorgeous.

Life IS harder in the UK for the over 50's, despite moonrakers comments. Quite recently ONE job vacancy at the job centre had over 1000 applicants, ALL of whom had to have a 2.1 or higher just to apply.

If you can get a job before you come back or have your own business you will be OK, if you haven't just be aware of the fact that the older you get the HARDER it gets to secure employment.

Guest moonraker1959
I too live in the south west, not far down the road from you it would seem and I certainly wouldn't describe the area as gorgeous.

Life IS harder in the UK for the over 50's, despite moonrakers comments. Quite recently ONE job vacancy at the job centre had over 1000 applicants, ALL of whom had to have a 2.1 or higher just to apply.

If you can get a job before you come back or have your own business you will be OK, if you haven't just be aware of the fact that the older you get the HARDER it gets to secure employment.

Will have to disagree with you on this.I live very rurally,not industrial in the slightest,very pretty surrounding villages ect and yep thats my idea of gorgeous.Whats yours?re jobs.Guess that depends on what you do for a living.Where I live and surrounding area's there is plenty of work in general type jobs.My daughter came home from uni in the summer,got a part time job in Sainbury's,was contracted to 12 hours per week,ended up working full time and was asked if she wanted a permanant job before she left.I don't personally know anyone out of work.My husband works as a warehouse storeman for a supermarket and is also the union rep.He tells me all the time supermarkets prefer more mature people as they are more reliable and tend to stick with the job.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest SA Great
Will have to disagree with you on this.I live very rurally,not industrial in the slightest,very pretty surrounding villages ect and yep thats my idea of gorgeous.Whats yours?re jobs.Guess that depends on what you do for a living.Where I live and surrounding area's there is plenty of work in general type jobs.My daughter came home from uni in the summer,got a part time job in Sainbury's,was contracted to 12 hours per week,ended up working full time and was asked if she wanted a permanant job before she left.I don't personally know anyone out of work.My husband works as a warehouse storeman for a supermarket and is also the union rep.He tells me all the time supermarkets prefer more mature people as they are more reliable and tend to stick with the job.

I also come from Wiltshire and would describe it more as boring than anything else. Anyway, I thought this website was for poms in adelaide or poms wanting to emigrate to adelaide. My question is that if your existence is so good and you have no intention of moving here then why are you on here?

Guest cherryn

Hi Sadie,

Im 48 so not quite in the 50,s zone lol, we are still in the uk and moving out to Adelaide in January hopefully all going well.Personally i wouldnt move back to the uk things arent good here its all doom and gloom in the news and i find in Scotland where i live everyone moans about their life and job if they are lucky to have one. It takes a wee while to settle in a place ,i find if you make an effort to join a club in something you are interested about that helps . If you have family issues going on in the uk then you will worry about it no matter where you are . Hope my advice helps best wishes xx

Guest mayjess
Hi Sadie,

Im 48 so not quite in the 50,s zone lol, we are still in the uk and moving out to Adelaide in January hopefully all going well.Personally i wouldnt move back to the uk things arent good here its all doom and gloom in the news and i find in Scotland where i live everyone moans about their life and job if they are lucky to have one. It takes a wee while to settle in a place ,i find if you make an effort to join a club in something you are interested about that helps . If you have family issues going on in the uk then you will worry about it no matter where you are . Hope my advice helps best wishes xx

This is so true, Im glad to see someone else in their 40`s is making the move over to OZ!!!

Mayjess

Hi Sadie,

Hi,

Appreciate your advise, been living in OZ for four years now, and get out and about regular and have a few both Oz and Brit friends despite feeling homesick..for me personally my heart is in the U.K. was back for a holiday recently, and yes noticed the doom and gloom press, although family and friends still managing trips over to Europe, despite the recession. I think having lived in another country for a while makes you value the good and bad points about both countries, due to circumstances for the forseeable we will be living in Oz and will continue to make the most of it despite my longing to be home, which I hope will still happen. All the best with your move, still good to try... whether it's for you or not.;)