???? Huntsman Spider

Guest spannaelephant

Guest spannaelephant

Thankfully Hubby wasn't away and was able to deal with it :notworthy:.............otherwise, me & the kids would be on the streets ourselves!!!

oh my god, the joys of living in the country, now I know where to send an SOS to if I ever get one!

The latest addition to the family!!! Promptly removed to the garden!! :shocked:

OMG!!!!:shocked: I have been getting stressed about the spiders here that love to dangle from one leg that seem to be everywhere! I got up in the night and walked through the hall and into a web in the dark. I actually went back to bed and thought I will not be doing that in OZ incase I step on something!!!!! Mwuhahaha

Guest Admar72

Eeewww!! I have to say that is pretty disconcerting and now i'm wondering just how everyone living there copes with all the creepies. I mean, how often am I likely to come accross these blighters?? Is it common practice to check your bed for white tails before you get in it?? Is there anything you can purchase to repel them?? And is there a big problem with cockroaches?? And finally am I gonna need counseling to cope??

Maria :err:

Guest guest3462

The only big "friends" I have ever seen in Aus are in pics like these! You can buy bombs to protect your house they last for 3 months and there is an amazing spray called mortein that kills anything with more than 4 legs!!!! I have an awful fear of spiders and have yet to be too scared to venture into the garage in the dark.......something I would never do in the UK!!! And I got out of checking the bed after about a week, we don't see many cockroaches down here either. Fingers crossed and touch wood etc!! JC xx

you dont have to live in the country. Last summer had 5 i can remember(huntsmen)one on my youngests bedroom wall:eek:

We can tell its getting warmer as already had two,outside thankfully, (one pregnant that my other half squished and just say im glad he wasnt wearing flip flops lolx)

quite a few whitetips, an inch ant and a couple of cockroaches too IN the house last year. and a redback in the garage. just spray mortein every 3 months and that seems to keep them at bay. has done for us so far.

I hate spiders etc but you get used to them and soon build up the courage to spray em from a distance ;)

kathx

ps aslo i read that the highest percentage of white tail bites is from shortsighted people (i am blind as a bat without my contacts) that pick them up etc thinking they are something else.eg bit of fluff not sure how true that is but its off a spider website and also they seem to move sooooo slowly you have time to go get a shoe to stomp on it.

Guest spannaelephant

We've had two in the house in the past month, so I'm hoping that as this one is bigger............it's the 'Mother'...................do they tend to be bigger than the 'Daddy's"????......................eeeekkkkk :shocked:

But where was it's Mum??

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest spannaelephant

This one wasn't on the floor, neither was the other one we had. Both have been above doorways!!! Caught my son ducking through doorways since!!!:shocked:

Have taken my bare feet off the carpet and now sitting cross legged! Not funny. Not funny at all :huh:

Guest nishman

A few weeks ago, after leaving the toilet and on the way back to bed my eye caught something on the coving above the door. It was a wolf spider about the size of that huntsman. Knowing that a flip-flop would likely miss as he was in the corner between the wall and ceiling, I went to get the flyspray the kids use to clean their white boards as I knew a miss would cause him to drop to the ground and run under the nearest cover i.e. the bed. The first spray caused him to loose his grip and abseil a few inches from the ceiling and it took a good soaking (like he was covered in foam) before he stopped descending and was just "twitching". I was then able to move him to the toilet and flush him. That was a bad night's sleep I can tell you.

I disturbed another one at the weekend whilst weeding the rock wall, and they can't half move! It was like a small shrew! Found a redback too, but let her be as she wasn't bothering anyone (you may think differently if you have small inquisitive kids though...)

The big spiders have the fear factor; the redbacks are very pretty and tend to keep themselves to themselves. Care is needed, but they won't usually bother you (check chairs and tables that haven't been used for a long time or have been stored in the shed for instance). White tips are the worst. Bedding and clothes on the floor are the favourite hidey holes. Of course, this may be different the further into the hills/bush you go :)

But as mentioned, mortein or similar keeps them to a minimum in the house (don't expect to see a red-back under the en-suite dunny seat for instance!).

Never been bothered by the cockroaches - they're not massive here. Black millipedes are everywhere and are quite resilient - more of a nuisance than anything else. If you're lucky, you may get a little scorpion (they're cute) or a centipede (don't mess with them - they're BIG!). Mortien does for all of the above. It will take care of things with 4 legs too, including skinks and mice!

TBH Ants and flies/mozzies are probably more of an irritation

Guest Kevin Quinn

Feck! I really can’t be dealing with the whole insect thing! I'm talking major phobia for anything with more that 4 legs! panic is setting in just thinking about it.

Are ye all saying that spiders and cockroaches are common visitors in the home? Are there less occurrences the closer you live to the city or the sea?

I'm already having a wobble over the whole hassle of getting to Oz....and to be honest this type of thing really is taking the shine off it for me.

Feck! I really can’t be dealing with the whole insect thing! I'm talking major phobia for anything with more that 4 legs! panic is setting in just thinking about it.

Are ye all saying that spiders and cockroaches are common visitors in the home? Are there less occurrences the closer you live to the city or the sea?

I'm already having a wobble over the whole hassle of getting to Oz....and to be honest this type of thing really is taking the shine off it for me.

LOL you be right mate, you get lots of allsorts out here man, spiders, snakes, cockroaches, scorpions, lizards.....its heaps good.

We had spiders ( white tail ) climbing over us in middle of night, its all part of life over here.

You can spray your house every 3 three months or so which stops the blighters getting in......but it can also stop the little buggers from getting out too !!!!! PMSL.:)

Its all good mate, we been here 16 months....seen lots and tbh honest its not as bad as you think....

dnt even get us all started on the shark situation:huh::chatterbox:

HG

Guest Kevin Quinn

Its really not worth it for me. Theres no way i can do it - i can handle seeing the odd one now and again but not what you're saying.......

Sounds like my Oz adventure is grinding to a hault.

Guest Lulujim

If it's any help, we've been here since April and haven't found any spiders in our bed!! Have seen 1 redback (just squished him they're small) and 3 huntsmen. Two got sprayed (as soon as you spray them they freeze - and don't run off like I was worried about) - and the other was on the car wing mirror and my husband kicked it off and stamped on it. (Sorry animal lovers)

Honestly, you'll be fine, please don't worry. I have firneds who have lived in Oz for 7 years and only seen 2 spiders.

Don't give up yet!! :)