English or Aussie?

lorluc

Just interested to know what people consider themselves to be....especially after gaining citizenship....and even more so...when there are big sporting events on like the Ashes?

Do you support your birth land or your adopted one?

I was nearly 40 when we emigrated....and have been here nearly 4 years....gained citizenship just over a year ago.

I just cant seem to bring myself to go for the aussies when they play england.......its funny as i've had comments recently...(all done in jest) from aussie's and some english...that i should be supporting the aussies as this is where i live now!:biglaugh:

Well...sorry...but whenever england play australia, i just have to go for england....

But when Australia play any other country...then i definitely support the aussies!

Just interested to know what people consider themselves to be....especially after gaining citizenship....and even more so...when there are big sporting events on like the Ashes?

Do you support your birth land or your adopted one?

I was nearly 40 when we emigrated....and have been here nearly 4 years....gained citizenship just over a year ago.

I just cant seem to bring myself to go for the aussies when they play england....... its funny as i've had comments recently...(all done in jest) from aussie's and some english...that i should be supporting the aussies as this is where i live now!

Well...sorry...but whenever england play australia, i just have to go for england....

But when Australia play any other country...then i definitely support the aussies!

Anyone I know ????? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You should support the Aussies Lozza!

Guest nishman

All in for us - we consider ourselves Australian enough to follow the green and gold. We still follow England (soccer especially), but in the old battles with England (Ashes etc) it's the Aussies we're behind. That became very clear a few weeks back when I was one only two ex-pats who grimmaced rather than cheered the last Aussie wicket of the first innings in the 2 second test recenty...

Guest Django

Nope deffo England for me. I work with a guy that moved to Oz at the age of 8 in 1963 and he still supports England. For the crack I support any team the aussies are playing against as far as my workmates are concerned. Inwardly though I'd like them to do well. Unless they are playing the boys or girls from 'Ol' Blighty' ;)

Guest SA Great

Good question! I support England in soccer but to be honest go for the Aussies in most other sports. Team games I tended to support England until fairly recently but individual events I go for the aussies. When you have been here as long as i have (18 years) you don't know who the individual players from england are anymore!! When I lived there it was all Seb Coe and Steve Ovett!! If Leighton Hewitt played any englishman in tennis i would go for leighton because he is part of every day life over here, if that makes sense!! I wouldn't even know what the english tennis players looked like!!

So to sum up, England soccer and Aussies everything else for me.

Good post!!

Guest graandjac

:)Good question this one.....well as I have made it clear we are in the loving it side of the boat , and when it comes to the footie I travelled to Germany for the last world cup and have not missed an England game for as long as I can remember. So when we went to the Rugby sevens about 6 months ago I found myself in a dilema. So there was me and Heaps good heading off to the shirt stand...........Heaps good got himself a Aussie shirt........:shocked:.....then it hit me like a bat in the face:huh:................I could do nothing else but put on the England shirt.....I(we) love Australia but when it comes to sport I got Red white and Blue Blood:biglaugh:

Guest motlyman

Green and gold for me:cool:

I have adopted Australia as my home now so i will support the national teams.They were good enough to let me live here so its the least i can do to get behind the national teams. (if England was worth getting behind i would still be there)

Even more so when my citizenship go's through.

I still follow the premiership as i do the A league and AFL.

I would feel a hypocrit (sp?) living in one country and supporting another and certainly would feel uncomfortable cheering another country in a pub full of nationals.

Just my opinion.

Colin

Guest Rob and Clare

I think to Born and Bred Aussies we're always going to be Poms even if we were born on the plane on the way over (maybe it would depend if you were on a Qantas flight or not ?), and I think if you say your a pom most respect you and love the banter when they beat us, and less so when they lose. I've never once seen an Australian in the Uk who's still not proud to be an Aussie, and I think they would support the green and gold in every sport including tiddly winks.

So I'm definately English first, and Australian second, but I still go and Support Australia at the State Hockey Park, Cricket at the Oval, Cycling at the Velladrome and various other sports.. and maybe one day if we get a decent Stadium maybe I can watch the Wallabies and the Socceroos too without going to Melbourne.

A slight twist on the question though, I read once the British were thinking of stopping citizens with Dual citizenship, if that happens I don't know which citizenship I'd keep.

I will obey Australian laws, pay Australian taxes, fight Australian wars (can't imagine Aus will be that desprate) and i'm even trying to learn the Australian language, but I can't stop supporting England in sport.:)

Simon

Guest LynziC

What a good question, after 3 and a half years in Oz, an Aussie hubby and family i have to say I am ENGLAND all the way (Especially the cricket!)

The sporting arguments are just too much fun! See when I lose i can accept it - an Aussie admit defeat without saying the English cheated? never!

Keeps life interesting.

Although probably a more serious argument is who will our kids (one day ;) ) barrack for?

Lynz xxx

Born an aussie, grew up a pom, back to being an aussie now.......but......England every time for me, sorry! Think it's partly because some of the aussie teams are so arrogant, and the media coverage is so biassed (not surprisingly!) and unable to believe that the aussie teams could possibly be beaten fairly!

Rugby - England

Football - England

Cricket - England (or anyone playing against the Aussies!)

Olympics - England

Tennnis - anyone but Leyton!

but..... Crows or Power against any Melbourne team... Adelaide United against anyone... and Socceroos against anyone other than England!

Guest caoimhe

Well if its between England and Australia for me it will always be Aus....probably cause I'm not English though:biglaugh:

Between Aus and Ireland....well Ireland every time

Guest Mick and Helen

Although we all chose to make this wonderful country our homes, we will never be Australians regardless what your Passport says. Come on England lets get the ashes back.

Mick

Guest Guest75

:biglaugh:

No contest for me........................ I'm not into sport so I don't have to ask myself this.

Although the Aussies do ask me:biglaugh:

Just happy to live there and have citizenship.

Guest philnjulie
would a man city fan start supporting arsenal over his beloved sky blues if he moved to north london or vice versa???

never away win 1st day of the season unheard of

Guest motlyman
Would a Man City fan start supporting Arsenal over his beloved sky blues if he moved to North London or vice versa???

I think local teams are a different kettle of fish. We probably all support someone from the premiership. I still support Arsenal ( even if they won 6_1 :notworthy:) and have a soft spot for Reading (where did all the players go:shocked:) where i lived.

The post is about Aussie or Brits so i dont think you can compare in this debate.

Just my opinion

Colin

All in for us - we consider ourselves Australian enough to follow the green and gold. We still follow England (soccer especially), but in the old battles with England (Ashes etc) it's the Aussies we're behind. That became very clear a few weeks back when I was one only two ex-pats who grimmaced rather than cheered the last Aussie wicket of the first innings in the 2 second test recenty...

Ditto. The change came over me in 1997, when England won the 2nd test at Edgbaston, and I was disappointed. Took me 8 years though.

On the last weekend of our recent holiday in England, I really enjoyed Australia winning the 4th test. There's a bit of rivalry in our house for the 5th test because Cazzie is still going for England.

Come on Aussie!