Channel 7 A DISGRACE!!!!!

Guest Roo1

Please help me get an advert REMOVED from channel 7

I URGE all PIA members to phone channel 7 on 8342 7777

They are promoting their latest cop drama by showing the clip Jamie Bulger being abducted from the shopping mall, the footage of this poor child’s last moments on earth should not be promotional material for the monetary gain of a multi million dollar company who promote themselves as a voice for the people.

Anyone who remembers this and I am sure we all do, this was the moors murder of our generation, I implore you to voice an opinion.

I'm incensed and deeply upset by this. HOW DARE THEY use this footage for their own gaiin.

I have never before complained about anything on TV as I have always believed that if you do not like what is on then turn over but this is a special case.

"but I feel there are far worse offensive things on the tv." You can't get much more offensive than showing killers of a 2 year old boy on TV especially as the killers now live in Australia with a new identity and nice new life ! Maybe they live next door to me or you here in Oz ??

Guest Kazzarazza
"but I feel there are far worse offensive things on the tv." You can't get much more offensive than showing killers of a 2 year old boy on TV especially as the killers now live in Australia with a new identity and nice new life ! Maybe they live next door to me or you here in Oz ??

They don't live in Australia with a new identity. There has been email and internet rumour about this for about 5 years or more. I think you'll find that is an "Urban Myth". They are under constant watch in the UK.

Guest guest3462

I can't get channel 7 in my shiny new house as there is no tv reception for it yet! But I agree that it is an utter disgrace.

My cousin is head of advertising for channel 7 in Perth and I have emailed him for his thoughts.

Lets see if we can get it removed

Julia x

Guest graandjac

Is it any more disgracefull than any show based on a real life true murder story....? , or real time bomings on the news in Iraq, where 100's of people are killed as the world watches on......?.

Guest cazzie

Graham,

You may feel differently if it was your child who was murdered and then used to advertise a programme. News items are excepted as they reflect reality, but to use the CCTV footage as part of an advertisement is vile. Standards in society are becoming so low that just about anything goes and it's horrible. The fact that these murderers were even released into society is an indictment of those standards of justice today. I'm with you Judi on this one and will make that call...

Guest guest569

Think of it as a double edged coin. If its shown then at least it will keep us as parents on our guards whilst out with our children.If by doing that it saves one more childs life then some good has come from showing it again.

RIP Jamie

xxxxx:wubclub:

Guest ben&sharon

Hey - I saw this on TV last night, but by the time the advert had finished I'd convinced myself that the idea was so offensive that I must have been mistaken. Glad it wasn't just me. There's no way that should be used as promotional material; it's sick. That still remains one of the most horrific crimes to have happened in my lifetime, and as the mother of a young child, doubly terrifying.

Guest Libby1971

Whether the Bulger murderers arehere or not makes absolutely no differnce to whether or not a TV drama should use CCTV to promote their programming. And it makes no difference as to how you try to justify things rationally, at the end of the day the crime was horrific - and people today are still deeply affected by it.

For that reason, if you have a reaction, positive or negative, you should respond to that... I rang last night. The bloke I was talking to was at a central call centre and had no idea what I was talking about. I asked him if he knew who Jamie Bulger was...he said no. I think that just about sums up why the footage was used.

He advised me to call back on Monday when the promotions dept is open.

THANK YOU ALL OF YOU! I thought it was just me, and my reaction was vile................

As a scouser, in case you hadnt guessed, i am very sensitive to the slight upon my home city; as a mother, i am as defensive as ever about the protection of children, especially my own................but that is by the by.............

I know Adelaide has had kids murdered, the missing boys etc, one of the channel7 newsreaders boys was one of them, if memory serves me right!!!! But of course, memory of such events is shallow and might be distressing to him and his family. And we wouldnt want that would we?

The Bulger murder happened, we cannot escape that fact, and we would do well to continue the careful protection of our children, without stifling their development; but as any mother, or father will tell you, kids have a way of getting from under a watchful gaze........mercifully without too many tragic consequences.

Im off for another cry, a rant and rave about this disgusting sensationalisation for a second rate show!

I too can't get ch7 as our aerial is about as old as some of the decor here, so I have no idea what you are all referring too.

As much as it saddens me that such material would be used to promote a cop drama, I can't call as I won't have any idea what I am talking about. I need to see it first then if I feel the need contact them with my own words and reaction to it, whatever that may be.

I too remember it as if it happened yesterday and hopefully will never experience what that poor childs parents and other family members/friends had to.

Cx

i was shcked to the bone when it come on tv the other night i carnt belive they show little jamie in it how bloody bad is that :arghh:

jamie was the same age as my baby is now and i look at him and shiver how could any vile person could do what they did to a 2 year old, and to promote it on tv for a programme ITS DISGRACEFUL to jamies family:arghh::arghh:

i will be phoning to complain!!!

sue xxx

Have just phoned channel7!

I placed my complaint, most strengthily, and calmly, i hasten to add.

I was actually asked " what were you watching when the trailer was run?".............errr, WHAT? Doesnt matter what it was, cos until the station publicly apologises for this dispicable action, channel 7 is a no go zone for me and mine!!

I have reminded them of Adelaides own nefarious murders, and highlighted the fact their own employee has suffered such a tragic event................and extended my sympathy to him and his family.................which is a darn sight more than they have extended to the Bulger family, the expatriot community and any decent person living in Australia.

shame on them for wanting to to accrue viewer ratings.

PHONE THEM NOW!!!!!!

Guest Libby1971

Another chap was aware of the case and said 'TV dramas can and do use real life situations as inspiration for their shows'. I asked what inspiration was drawn from the abduction, torture and murder of a 2 year old? I also asked why a TV drama had to rely on such a horrific case for their inspiration...were the script writers that poor that they could not think of anything else more appropriate and less offensive? He was a bit quiet.

The most useful comment he made was that Channel Seven are legally bound to respond to any letters sent to them.

The address given is:

Locked bag 7

Hindmarsh

I'll be asking a few more questions tomorrow about the ethics of the situation once I've got my proper head on, and have read through a few books.

I have seen this a few times now and the first time my husband and I just looked at each other and I said 'thats a bit too close to the truth' and we were very shocked - but I had assumed that the footage you refer to was not that of poor little Jamie but a piece of 'fictional' film from the drama.

If it is the real cctv footage of the little boy I am shocked they would use this. There was no need whatsoever. It made me upset and disturbed enough when I thought that was drama footage as it was identical to that horrifying, sickening crime that those boys commited.

I do understand that we have seen that footage many times back when this awful crime happened and that we see horrific bombings regularly on the news and there is perhaps nothing wrong with us being reminded of such terrible crimes in order to remind us to be on our guard - but it is the fact they are showing this to promote a tv show - it is disgusting and it is wrong in my opinion to be used in this way.

Hey - I saw this on TV last night, but by the time the advert had finished I'd convinced myself that the idea was so offensive that I must have been mistaken. Glad it wasn't just me. There's no way that should be used as promotional material; it's sick. That still remains one of the most horrific crimes to have happened in my lifetime, and as the mother of a young child, doubly terrifying.

This was exactly my reaction, I was so sure I must have seen this wrong and glad this thread has started. I will definatley be complaining, just before I left for Australia there was a documentary on Jamie B but this one was done by his mother and it was just awful, so sad. Thanks for raising this issue Judi.