The Tyke's UK trip

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

Well after returning from the UK after a two week holiday I'm starting to feel what passes for normal with me - the jet lag is awful on me:goofy:

Blooming long flight - mental torture!

If you have along stopover in Singapore do grab a room in the Transit Hotels for a few hours kip and a show - T3's rooms are best.

Mrs Tyke and I took advantage of the cheap Singapore Airlines flights.

Mrs Tyke does go back every year to see her family,she is very close to them.

This was my first time back in a few years.This time for a "proper" holiday.I've been back twice before under the sad circumstances of my Mum's death so I never looked at the UK with a fair eye before.

My holiday??????................................LOVED IT!

Which is a real turn around from how I felt upon booking.Ms Tyke insisted that I go for holiday with her this time.To say the least I was not keen and thought it was a waste of money - even with the bargain flights.

How wrong could I be?

It's done me the world of good to go back after living her for over nine years.

With gong back relaxed and in holiday mode I looked at the UK with different eyes.

My Brother took the two weeks off and had organised lots of fun,games and days out for us.Terrific to catch up and spend time together - they made a real fuss of us and we are so grateful to them.

We spent a lot of time out in the country in our old haunts,from 2 days in the lovel fishing town of Whitby to the wilds of the north Yorkshire Dales finding out of the way "proper" pubs.

Caught up with some of the rellies and friends who made us very welcome.

To be honest by the end of two weeks we were exhausted with all the travelling,partying and so on.

Kind of topped up on our "Yorkshireness"

Some observations:

The roads seemed very much smaller and the amount of traffic!!!!

Every household seems to have at least 2 cars now which is causing chaos.

What's with all the black cars??????

Lots of new and flash cars,any more BMW's / Mercs/Audis/Range Rovers and so on - could this be because credit was o much easier to get?

Shopping.......... I hate it but did get an idea of prices.Yup it can be cheaper to shop in the UK but not amazingly.This could be due to the drop in the exchange rate so comparing at 2:1

The range of products is huge but I felt as if there was too much to the point of "conspicuous consumption"

The greenery - lovely to see the English countryside in full bloom,it holds a special place in my heart.

BUT - the scruffy and unkempt grass verges and shrubbery - now that was just overgrown!

I did note that some areas around Leeds have gone terribly downhill - pubs shut due to constant drug dealing,lots of crime in general - I did not feel safe in my old town of Pudsey!

"Proper" fish and chips cooked in beef dripping - yum!

Pork pies - overdosed on them!

Visited England's oldest sweet shop - brought back some supplies !

Had a day out with my brother clay pigeon shooting,my old sport from years ago - like riding a bike.

Visited a Game Fair and thoroughly enjoyed that - the beer tent took a bashing with us lot!

I was quite into Field Sports years ago and it was wonderful to see how it has expanded and put a lot of money back into the countryside for conservation.

It's even given me a business idea for here in Adelaide.

I was in holiday mode and had the reverse rosy coloured glasses" on.

Would I ever go back???

YES - but for a holiday.

Especially if there are some more bargain flights.

The place has passed us by now,but have fond memories in parts.

The experience did make me look back at Australia and our move ere - it confirmed why we moved here.

Upon my return Adelaide felt "big, wide open and quieter" ,but that's why we moved here.

The sad part was two fold.

Leaving my brother and his family who have been so kind to us.

Mrs Tyke is stopping a further two weeks now with her family for some quality time with them.I've had to return due to business commitments.

Strange to return alone - I miss my babe already:sad:

All in all a terrific trip and I'd urge those who have been here a few years and fully settled to consider a trip back to see the homeland for a holiday,it's a real experience.

gald you feel 'proper' again!

and what a report! i can tell you had a smashing time!!

i always find it exhausting when i go to visit my family back home :goofy:

thanks for your observations - was very interesting to read!

i am sure the 2 weeks will fly by in no time - lots of fish to be caught ;)

All in all a terrific trip and I'd urge those who have been here a few years and fully settled to consider a trip back to see the homeland for a holiday,it's a real experience.

Thank you for posting this. I've always said I'd never go back, not even for a holiday but your post has made me think twice, especially the "proper pubs" and countryside, that struck a cord................and of course missing friends and family ;)

Judi x

I agree once you are really settled here it's great to go back for a holiday, loaded with holiday feeling and holiday dosh to spend on whatever takes your fancy. I really enjoyed our trip last summer after 17yrs away and loved seeing the in-laws and showing the kids my old haunts. Unfortunately due to time constraints we still didn't get to do everything, but a few more years stashing the cash and maybe we'll go via the states next time :)

Did you have to rub it in about your "bargain flights". We paid $6k for the 2 of us to fly back for 3 weeks in economy - never again!! Constant kicking in the back and even after a week my back still kills me.

Anyway, great post Russ. We have similar experiences and will post more when we return.

Guest guest569

Glad you had a good time.;) After nine years here i might be tempted for a look back but until then "no thank you !!!" There's nicer places in the world i haven't seen before i would rather spend my money on !!!:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
gald you feel 'proper' again!

and what a report! i can tell you had a smashing time!!

i always find it exhausting when i go to visit my family back home :goofy:

thanks for your observations - was very interesting to read!

i am sure the 2 weeks will fly by in no time - lots of fish to be caught ;)

Thanks Mozzy - had a good old natter with Mrs Tyke last night - then out to the pub with the boys :)

Not much fishing so far due to the weather.

Guest Guest75

Thank you for posting this. I've always said I'd never go back, not even for a holiday but your post has made me think twice, especially the "proper pubs" and countryside, that struck a cord................and of course missing friends and family ;)

Judi x

Thanks Judi.

I was one of those committed "Never go backs" so I thought I'd say it is OK to go back - it felt right.:)

Judi x

Thanks Judi.

I was one of those committed "Never go backs" so I thought I'd say it is OK to go back - it felt right.:)I thought about it this year......but didnt go, might go next year. Glad youre back..........you might have a reverse reaction on the weather and give us some decent stuff:) Bring on the sun!

Guest Tina P

Hi,

We are going back in just over 5 weeks, we also took advantage of the Singapore deal.

It will be 2yrs and 3 months since I last saw my family and sunny Bradford ? and I can not wait to go back.

Really intresting to read your post, I do wonder what I will feel like as I'm not an Adelaide lover but sense tells me its better here for our daughters than the uk, esp where we came from.

Since the day we arrived I have promised myself a trip back, my hubby isn't coming with us due to work and the extra cost but I don't care how hard travelling alone with a 4 and 7 yr old will be, I just need to go home and see for myself if it REALLY is better for us here. Feel guilty leaving him though for 3 1/2 weeks.

Let you all know my thoughts.

Tina