Feb 14th

Guest BJF

Seems like I've been saying I'm go home now forever but at long last we have a date set, Kids and me are flying feb 14th, hubby will be staying but not sure for how long or if he'll ever return to uk.

5 yrs in Oz is enough for us, actually 6 months was enough but we decided to give it a good go. Australia ain't for everyone I guess.

Guest Lisajonesey

Hey Di...

I think it's a really brave thing to do - If you're unhappy, there's no point dragging it out.

After all, I think most of us are out here to have a better way of life. That isnt always going to work out for some people - either way, at least it has been an experience that you've embrassed, and after 5 years, I say you've given it a damn good go. How do the kids feel? Did they ever settle here?

Doesn't your hubby want to go back?

Sounds like there has been some tough decisions, but you're on your way to feel more at home.

I hope you and your family will be happier back in the UK - and at least you and the kids can say you've tried it.

Best of luck with sorting out your trip back home.

Lisa.x

For those who don't know I did return to uk last June for a 3 week visit and the second I exited Manchester airport I felt I was home, I felt the uk is where I belonged.

The girls have never settled here except maybe Cheyenne but she was only 4 yra old when we came here so doesn't really have memories of what life was like before Oz but Tori is now almost 18 and Danni is 22 and niether ever really settled here.

Seems strange that I'm born and bred in uk, we all hold UK passports and yet because we've been away for 5 yrs I have to take a residential test to prove I have the right to live there, gotta love red tape. lol.

We'd originally set Nov 28th as our return date, the day after Tori's school formal but hubby got told about a month ago that he's gonna be deployed to the middle east for 4 months from early Oct so I delayed our return to UK untill after he gets bk, he needs to be here to hand the house bk to defence and rather than it sit empty for 3 months while the rent is still being paid for it I decided to stay a bit longer and save a few more dollars.

I think the main reason none of us settled was when we first moved here

(it was kinda like another posting to us, hubby left RAF and joined RAAF) we first lived in QLD where the humidity killed us,we lived there for two yrs by which time me and the kids hated Oz, we missed seasons, we missed rain, OMG I can't believe we actually missed rain but we did. We hoped the posting down to SA might change our dislike for Oz but it never happened, guess our minds were already set and no I don't think anything would change our minds. Hubby is the only one that really settled here but his day to day life is very different from mine. In both states I think we've been unfortunate to have had the most un-friendly people in Oz as neighbours, no matter how much I try to speak to them or be friendly they just don't want to know. I know not all aussies are like my neighbours, we've just been unfortunate.

I'd NEVER tell anyone not to move here just because we've had such a bad experience and I'd hate to think our experience influenced anyone. Our decision to return is our personal decision but I would tell people to make the move with their eyes wide open and not to move here with their minds set that their life will change for the better, you need to move here realistically and understand that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Oz has it's bad points just like the UK but it does also have good points, just like the UK, it may seem like paradise when you look at it online but please keep your mind open.

I've read so many posts on here from people saying...where are the jobs?, we came here because my trade was needed but there are no jobs, we're struggling to find work....think realistically, you were told SA needed your experience, you were not told Adelaide needed it, SA is a big state, Adelaide is just it's cap city, Adelaide is NOT SA.

Thaks for all the best wishes.

I'll climb off my soapbox now.

Guest moonraker1959

Just wanted to wish you lots of happiness in the future,and hope it all goes well for you.I returned from SA to the UK years ago and personally never regretted that decision.Best of luck:)

Guest Summer05
For those who don't know I did return to uk last June for a 3 week visit and the second I exited Manchester airport I felt I was home, I felt the uk is where I belonged.

The girls have never settled here except maybe Cheyenne but she was only 4 yra old when we came here so doesn't really have memories of what life was like before Oz but Tori is now almost 18 and Danni is 22 and niether ever really settled here.

Seems strange that I'm born and bred in uk, we all hold UK passports and yet because we've been away for 5 yrs I have to take a residential test to prove I have the right to live there, gotta love red tape. lol.

We'd originally set Nov 28th as our return date, the day after Tori's school formal but hubby got told about a month ago that he's gonna be deployed to the middle east for 4 months from early Oct so I delayed our return to UK untill after he gets bk, he needs to be here to hand the house bk to defence and rather than it sit empty for 3 months while the rent is still being paid for it I decided to stay a bit longer and save a few more dollars.

(it was kinda like another posting to us, hubby left RAF and joined RAAF) we first lived in QLD where the humidity killed us,we lived there for two yrs by which time me and the kids hated Oz, we missed seasons, we missed rain, OMG I can't believe we actually missed rain but we did. We hoped the posting down to SA might change our dislike for Oz but it never happened, guess our minds were already set and no I don't think anything would change our minds. Hubby is the only one that really settled here but his day to day life is very different from mine. In both states I think we've been unfortunate to have had the most un-friendly people in Oz as neighbours, no matter how much I try to speak to them or be friendly they just don't want to know. I know not all aussies are like my neighbours, we've just been unfortunate.

I'd NEVER tell anyone not to move here just because we've had such a bad experience and I'd hate to think our experience influenced anyone. Our decision to return is our personal decision but I would tell people to make the move with their eyes wide open and not to move here with their minds set that their life will change for the better, you need to move here realistically and understand that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Oz has it's bad points just like the UK but it does also have good points, just like the UK, it may seem like paradise when you look at it online but please keep your mind open.

I've read so many posts on here from people saying...where are the jobs?, we came here because my trade was needed but there are no jobs, we're struggling to find work....think realistically, you were told SA needed your experience, you were not told Adelaide needed it, SA is a big state, Adelaide is just it's cap city, Adelaide is NOT SA.

This was such a great post. And thank you for sharing it with us all. We are moving to oz in a couple of weeks - and everything you say it makes sense.

Wish you and your family a safe trip back to UK and a happy life.

Eda & James

Hi,

Good for you admire your bravery! if you dont mind me asking, have you secured a place to live and jobs to go to? from OZ, reason I am asking, thinking of making the move myself, not sure when or how yet? cant hang about too long big 50 next year, may even be without OH. Lived in OZ long enough to know its just not for me.

Cheers and Good Luck!

Hi Di,

Well you did better than me for sticking with it as I only gave it 6 months! but then again I knew I didn't want to stay. I was truly going to give it at least two years, before we came out, but I soon realised where I was better off.

I wish you all the very best for the future and find the happiness that you deserve

Diane

Sadie,

No no job or house secured yet, so we'll be staying in a travel lodge near home, no room to stay with family, not with 5 of us returning so I'm just gonna have to hit the rental agencies the day after we land but I will be using and abusing the internet too before we leave.

All I know is since I made the decision for sure we've all had a really stupid grin on our faces, well except hubby but he's staying here so he don't really count. lol.

Diane,

I think you did better than me taking 16 months to decide Oz wasn't for you, I had decided after 3 months but decided to give it my all and attempt to like the place then the longer I stayed the harder it was to leave because of Tori's education. I agrred to stay long enough for Tori to graduate High School which she does this year, we originally set Nov 28th as the date to leave (the day after Tori's high school formal) but then hubby got told he was being deployed to the middle east for 4 months and it seemed silly to keep paying rent on our Married Quarter when it was laying empty so delayed our return a few months plus it gives me 4 more months of saving.

Hell will need to freeze over now though to make me stay after February, after speaking to removals about shipping we've moved our flight day forward a few days, now planning for Feb 10th instead of 14th. Now all I need is for Lady Luck to keep shinning on us untill we board that first plane then she can go shine on someone else who needs her. lol

Guest happy feet
Sadie,

No no job or house secured yet, so we'll be staying in a travel lodge near home, no room to stay with family, not with 5 of us returning so I'm just gonna have to hit the rental agencies the day after we land but I will be using and abusing the internet too before we leave.

All I know is since I made the decision for sure we've all had a really stupid grin on our faces, well except hubby but he's staying here so he don't really count. lol.

Diane,

I think you did better than me taking 16 months to decide Oz wasn't for you, I had decided after 3 months but decided to give it my all and attempt to like the place then the longer I stayed the harder it was to leave because of Tori's education. I agrred to stay long enough for Tori to graduate High School which she does this year, we originally set Nov 28th as the date to leave (the day after Tori's high school formal) but then hubby got told he was being deployed to the middle east for 4 months and it seemed silly to keep paying rent on our Married Quarter when it was laying empty so delayed our return a few months plus it gives me 4 more months of saving.

Hell will need to freeze over now though to make me stay after February, after speaking to removals about shipping we've moved our flight day forward a few days, now planning for Feb 10th instead of 14th. Now all I need is for Lady Luck to keep shinning on us untill we board that first plane then she can go shine on someone else who needs her. lol

Hi,

2 great and honest posts, thank u. Sorry it hasn't worked out for your family, but i wish u all the best

cara xxx

Good Luck! can I ask why you dont like OZ. For me I miss family and just dont feel like myself, starting to feel depressed living here.

Pretty much the same for me Sadie, I haven't felt like me in a long time, I've lost track of who I am, I've forgotten who Di is, I know she's in me somewhere I just have to find her, I bumped into her during the 3 weeks I was home last year but I think I forgot to pack 'ME' when I returned to Oz. It's a horrid feeling losing yourself, not knowing who you are. My down/depressed days are behind me now I've made the def decision to return home. I still have 5 months to go but I'm already sorting stuff out and narrowing down our belongings. Can you tell I'm sooooooo excited to be going home? lol. I really feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

I have no doubt in my mind that returning is the right option but like I said in an earlier post, I'd NEVER tell anyone not to try. I don't regret moving here, I would've regretted more living the next 30+ years thinking/saying 'what if'.

To quote a song by TOFOG...

I'd rather regret the things I've done than the things I didn't do

Wishing you and your family all the best Di, you gave it a good try and you need to be happy too so i hope you find what you are looking for in the Uk, dont ever have regrets just remember the happy memories in Oz, it'll be something to tell your grandchildren xx

• 4 weeks later...

Removals now booked and confirmed for Feb 8th & 9th and we've been told shipping will be Feb 16th.

Going to book flights on Thursday for Feb 10th and will be paying the extra to book the seats we want, whats an extra $200. on top of $7,000.? BA couldn't have introduced this option at a better time for us.

Hubby is staying here, although he can now leave the Air Force at any time having served his initial contract he'd be mad to leave the security of his job not having a job to start in the UK.

Guest massive

Good luck on your return , being family, people then home sick myself at the moment i can fully understand what you say . I always said i would give it two years somedays this is eaier than others but it is harder than you can ever imagine so fare play to you life is for living you have had this experience why be miserble an sad have a safe journey home

Debbie

Guest MarkIngram

I read this thread with great interest and have to say what a refreshing and honest thread it has been. I leave for Oz in 3 weeks time and I am fully aware that this is a BIG move for the whole family. I know there are people who will be saying that we're making a HUGE mistake in making the move...but I know that if we don't try it then we'll forever be thinking what if.

I've said right down the line...you could move to another city and it be a disaster...and if it doesn't work out, then there is no shame in coming back home with your head held high knowing that you at least had the guts to give it a damn good try.

I wish all those the best of luck in their move back to the UK or out to Oz...either way, you have takeing life by the scruff of the neck and given it a shake.

I'll get off my soapbox now and go and give lady luck a shake as I could do with a little of her magic dust....oh, and a kick up the backside of the exchange rate fairy won't go amiss either.