Helpppppp Getting Really Cold Feet

Guest friends4life

Guest friends4life

Hi All,

I know this is going to sound dreadful but we have a SS for SA.

We have to be there before November 19th but at this moment in time i have convinced myself that i don't want to go.

My husband and children really want to go because they said we would have a better life and although i feel really sad leaving the family this is not the reason i don't want to go.

I have a phobia against snakes and my husband tells me that i probably never would see one but i have this obsession that they come into your house as i have read on some of these posts.

Also house prices are cheaper than the UK but then i hear that everything else is more expensive.........is this the case?

I know i should go there and do a reccie but my daughter is now 14 and should now start studying for her GCSEs.

Can anyone give me any suggestions, am i being selfish and should i go?

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you for your time.

Hi,

Definitely will not get snakes in your house! Or see one in public. Thats hilarious. I am in Australia and have never seen one in my 30 years! Rest assured theres nothing to worry about there.

Guest mayjess

Hi , I lived there for a year aswell & didnt ever see a snake, I wouldnt worry (easy for me to say) but serioulsy it`l be fine, Adelaide is lovely, Im back in the UK and planning our return back for next year & my youngest is 14 starting her GCSE`s but my eldest was 15 when we came last time & she was fine at school.

pm if you need any more advice I can help you with

Mayjess

I have a phobia of snakes. I won't even go in the reptile houses at zoos because of it.:embarrassed: :biglaugh: I haven't seen one though there was a report of some in our childrens school. We are planning camping trips and to be honest I haven't even given snakes a second thought.

As for expense. It can be very expensive living here if you do a one stop shop. Once you learn where to buy stuff you will fine it can work out cheaper. You will find somethings are more expensive than the UK no matter where you buy it. However, other things are cheaper.

Guest Kevin Quinn

Went through similar a few weeks ago - my phobia is insects....not just spiders! Anything with more than 4 legs and I panic. As for snakes though.....anyone I've spoken to dont seem to see many snakes...if at all.

I suppose the further up the Hills you go the chances of spotting something will increase but I'm told you have to go looking.

Guest SCOTTYSUKSA

HI THERE,

My husband Anthony and I moved from the UK, Newcastle Upon Tyne to Adelaide 7 years ago in October. We went through very mcuh the same feelings. Are we doing the right thing, etc...? We really enjoy living in Adelaide. Sometimes we get homesick and wonder if we have done the right thing, but most the time we are happy and carefree and would not move back.

I have the worst snake phobia, but have not seen one the whole time I have lived here. I must admit though, for the first six months, I checked under beds, etc..

Hope this helps. Please message if I can help anymore

Helen Scott

Guest Chelseadownunder

It is all hyped up a bit in the UK, we did see a few spiders when we arrived but havent seen any since and its a year now. We saw one snake but that was at a park in the middle of summer and as we left the park we saw signs saying beware of snakes (Bit too late) The snake ran away from us at great speed. I would deffinately not worry about snakes here (I am scared of them too) and spiders are no hassle either.

HI THERE,

My husband Anthony and I moved from the UK, Newcastle Upon Tyne to Adelaide 7 years ago in October. We went through very mcuh the same feelings. Are we doing the right thing, etc...? We really enjoy living in Adelaide. Sometimes we get homesick and wonder if we have done the right thing, but most the time we are happy and carefree and would not move back.

I have the worst snake phobia, but have not seen one the whole time I have lived here. I must admit though, for the first six months, I checked under beds, etc..

Hope this helps. Please message if I can help anymore

Helen Scott

Hello fellow Highbury Resident!

Sorry about hijacking OP's thread, but just wanted to let you know, Helen, that we've got a few of us expat girls living this side of town are meeting for a few drinks at the Golden Grove Tavern tonight - 7:45/8:00 pm onwards. We normally nab the comfy chairs in the bar next to the restaurant there. Quite a few coming along tonight who don't know any of the others so if you're free, you're very welcome to join us.

Diane

Guest SCOTTYSUKSA

Thanks Diane,

Thank you for hijacking. Just getting to know how the site works. I might take you up on the offer for a drink, if that is ok. It would be good to meet up with some other pommy girls. If you see a girl with big curly hair looking lost, that will be me.

Thanks Helen

Guest graandjac

No need to worry about snakes in the house............or any where else to be honest, the whole spider bugs and snakes thing is someting that us out here like to play on and giggle about;), no need to worry honest.....but........no only joking:p

Aww mate dnt worry about the snakes, we have been here 17 months and we have only seen them at wildlife parks, altho i did hold one at work the other when some guys came in to do an exhibition.

you dnt wanna worry about the snakes, or spiders watch out for the great whities lol...we aint seen any of these either...its all good out here they do hype it up over in the yUk...

You be fine mate

HG

thanks to the OP for starting this thread, i really feel for you as i too think that there are going to be spiders literally running around the house and in cupboards etc, whilst sitting here in the Uk, but it is not enough to stop me going, so good luck and go for it, the reasons you are going for have got to over-ride it and be worth more than that xxxx

thanks to the OP for starting this thread, i really feel for you as i too think that there are going to be spiders literally running around the house and in cupboards etc, whilst sitting here in the Uk, but it is not enough to stop me going, so good luck and go for it, the reasons you are going for have got to over-ride it and be worth more than that xxxx

You can get some spray for your house, you do all entrances into and out of your house, although i recommend having a huntsman spider in your house as they seem to control alot of creepy crawlies.

but the spray does work well too, you can also get bombs which ytou let off to kill alot of the baddies too.

HG

Get your ass over to Adelaide!! It sounds like you've got last minute nerves that's all. Treat it as an adventure and trust yourself to know that if ANY of you are deeply unhappy after 6 months that you'll do what's best.

As for the snakes, I've been to Aus a few times and I've never bloody seen one. Or a koala, or a spider etc etc......

I'm scared of flying but I still came over to Vietnam to work while I was waiting for my Adelaide visa (got it last week hurray!!!) On Saturday I fly to Singapore then to Perth to see cousin, then to Adelaide all on my own and I don't know a soul. Yes it's scary, but so was the thought of Leicester being the rest of my life.

As the great surfer Laird Hamilton once said "I don't want to live my life NOT doing things because I'm scared of what might happen"

Worse case scenario, you return to the UK months later with some tales to tell....best case scenario?....WOW!!

Get in touch when you get there first beer/cuppa's on me.

Guest The Steeles In Adelaide

Hi there! We have been out for 9 months now. I cried my eyes out when we left and cried all the way here on the plane! But love it now. My son is 14 and loves it - he never wants to go back to the UK. He's going to be doing his SACE (South Australian Certificate of Education) which is internationally recognised apparently. My daughter is 7 and loves it, she just wants to be on the beach every day. Me and my husband love it here too. We speak on the webcam by skype every weekend so keep in touch with family and friends. I have never seen a snake. A few spiders but nothing major and are easily squashed! I don't like creepy crawlies at all and I can manage it. We know we have a better life here than in the UK and a better future for all of us. Yes, it's hard to leave everything you know behind but it's also an adventure. Go for it, you only live once!

Guest Vickilee
Hi All,

We have to be there before November 19th but at this moment in time i have convinced myself that i don't want to go.

My husband and children really want to go because they said we would have a better life and although i feel really sad leaving the family this is not the reason i don't want to go.

I have a phobia against snakes and my husband tells me that i probably never would see one but i have this obsession that they come into your house as i have read on some of these posts.

Also house prices are cheaper than the UK but then i hear that everything else is more expensive.........is this the case?

I know i should go there and do a reccie but my daughter is now 14 and should now start studying for her GCSEs.

Hi

I am n Ausie born and bred. Married to a Pom..

Have anly seen 2 snakes in my Life and I'm 50... both where100's of MILES from the suburbs!!!!!! so unless you plan to live on a farm or in the bush!!! you wont see any snakes unless you visit the ZOO..( any way thay are more scared of us and they run away as soon as they see people..)

Come to Australia you will LOVE it !!!! Where are you planning to live?

Viki :0)

Hi All,

I have been here for 20 years and the only snake I have seen was at the zoo.