Head is spinning, not sleeping, stressed .....

Guest rowy

Is this normal. Have sold our house, asking price, within 4 weeks of sign in garden. Everything on track, just had x rays 2 days ago, so we are close...yeh? So why are we having the same conversation 100 times, have started looking at local property to buy, convinced ourselves we should wait yet another two years to wait for dollar improvement and possibly make money doing up an older house here for two years. But in the meantime we talk about wasting money to validate visa next year and all the plans we have when we arrive in Adelaide and how we cant wait to be there and so on and so on and so. Cold feet, wobbly all over!! Are these symptoms normal. Family eagerly await news on us staying as everyone bursts into tears when I say the word Australia. We have had the dream 5 years plus. We have done the reccie and read and researched best you can, and had fantastic advice off PIA. Please tell me this will pass, and that one day I will sleep normally :confused: Penny (currently on Hot Chocolate, Ovaltine, Kalms and Jacobs Creek)

It's perfectly normal to go through a roller-coaster of emotions at this time!.

I'd be coming out,renting and leaving your capital in the UK until things improve.

Why drag it on when you are in a good position.

Spend more time here settling.

Don't waste money - and I'm sure you are mentally ready to come out!!

Good luck:)

Guest graandjac

:)This brings back memories,:biglaugh: we were the same and so was or is everone, its good to have the nerves as it keeps your feet on the ground.

You have come this far now so keep it going , we lost heaps on the exchange rate as when we started the journey the rate was 2.50 so we planned everything on 2.40..............only for the rate to keep dropping ....we waited .....we waited and in the end it was just lets get it done . We ended up with 2.09:shocked:.....did we lose anything .....no as we never had it in the first place. Stop looking for excuses and get on with it ......!!!!!lol. good luck;)

Thanks guys, I know its just nerves! Negative posts on here recently have been really hard reading, so going to avoid any future ones for a bit!! Am excited and terrified at the same time!!! Penny

Hi guys

I am so glad to read your post and others like it as it makes me feel better because we are in the same situation as you. My husband thinks I nuts to be up excited one minute and crying/sobbing the next. Our dream has been going on since Jan 07 and I have found every excuse in the book to not go. I mean everything to how could we possible leave the hamsters!!! (This was nearly divorce proceedings)

Anyway last Sunday 6th Sept we made the decision to go for it. I havent slept all night since aged 10 years my hair now looks like Cruella Deville with the grey hairs. Since Sunday I have handed my notice in, booked the flights (had a panic attack on the phone had to ring the lady back) and rented out our house. I am now on this rollercoaster ride and I am determined now not to get off until I reach Adelaide. Also no way could I have come this far without PIA. Over the last two years I have kept a note book with all the info I have gained from off here and now I am using it to help me sort out the move. So once again a big thank you to everyone.

Everyone keep posting its brill!!

Regards Janine

there aint no point waiting for the dollar to increase as imo this wnt happen over night, better to get your backsides over here in time for the summer, as no matter exchange rate you may want to get you CANNOT beat a summer in SA with temps around the mid 30s....

Therefore the next post i want to see from you guys is.....WE HAVE BOOKED OUR FLIGHTS !!!

Good luck, we will all still be here waiting for you guys.

HG

there aint no point waiting for the dollar to increase as imo this wnt happen over night, better to get your backsides over here in time for the summer, as no matter exchange rate you may want to get you CANNOT beat a summer in SA with temps around the mid 30s....

Therefore the next post i want to see from you guys is.....WE HAVE BOOKED OUR FLIGHTS !!!

Good luck, we will all still be here waiting for you guys.

HG

Thanks so much...always love your upbeat replies!!! Penny

........... we lost heaps on the exchange rate as when we started the journey the rate was 2.50 so we planned everything on 2.40..............only for the rate to keep dropping ....we waited .....we waited and in the end it was just lets get it done . We ended up with 2.09:shocked:.....did we lose anything .....no as we never had it in the first place.

Graham makes a good point, if we'd moved out 2 or 3 years ago we would have had so much more money than we are going to have moving out now (with house prices and the exchange rate falling), but it's true, we haven't really lost anything because we never had that money in the first place. Only in our heads!

It does make the whole package less attractive, as instead of moving up a rung on the housing ladder we will be lucky to stay put, but having a bigger house isn't really what it's all about. You could buy me a million pound house here in the UK and I'd still want to move. If somebody offered you double the money you are going to 'lose' on the exchange rate to stay in the UK - would you take it and stay here?? I know I wouldn't.

I agree with Heapsgood! Just get your butts over here, go for the all or nothing approach.We ended up knocking £40,000 off our sale price of house and exchange rate was not as good as it had been, when we started the process it was at 2.45, we ended up getting 2.0333ish, but we didnt want to do the validation thing as that incured a huge sum of money for 4 of us, so we just done it , ended up with a bigger mortgage than we had wanted but is it worth.......you bet!!!!!!

Good luck and stay positive!

Simon;)

Guest sharoninoz

your not alone eight weeks before we moved out here was the worst eight weeks of our life, couldnt sleep eat , felt sick all the time. you just have to do it after all its the biggest move youll ever make

Guest sharoninoz
Is this normal. Have sold our house, asking price, within 4 weeks of sign in garden. Everything on track, just had x rays 2 days ago, so we are close...yeh? So why are we having the same conversation 100 times, have started looking at local property to buy, convinced ourselves we should wait yet another two years to wait for dollar improvement and possibly make money doing up an older house here for two years. But in the meantime we talk about wasting money to validate visa next year and all the plans we have when we arrive in Adelaide and how we cant wait to be there and so on and so on and so. Cold feet, wobbly all over!! Are these symptoms normal. Family eagerly await news on us staying as everyone bursts into tears when I say the word Australia. We have had the dream 5 years plus. We have done the reccie and read and researched best you can, and had fantastic advice off PIA. Please tell me this will pass, and that one day I will sleep normally :confused: Penny (currently on Hot Chocolate, Ovaltine, Kalms and Jacobs Creek)

your not alone eight weeks before we moved out here was the worst eight weeks of our life, couldnt sleep eat , felt sick all the time. you just have to do it after all its the biggest move youll ever make

Guest kangomik

Hindsight is great, don't we all wish we had it, or the pure balls to start this adventure. And thats what it takes, balls of steel to lift everything up throw 10500 miles away and set up somewhere new.

I too wouldn't wait for the dollar to buck, but has HG says you really don't want to miss a summer spring or Autumn here.

The feelings are natural, we ALL go through them. Its because we have thought about the process and the decisions, and just want to check them off again.

Good luck with whatever decision you guys make. I think many if not all of us wait for so long to get a visa, when it arrives we suddenly question if it is what we want. If the research is done, and the figures add up, grab the plane tickets, hold tight and enjoy the ride

Guest MarkIngram

I think some of the comments on here are really good. We fly out 5 weeks tomorrow and were hoping to get at least $2 to the pound....and currently it looks like we'll be lucky to get $1.90 which, lets face it is rubbish...so we've got it in mind to move some money for now to get us set up and fingers crossed it'll pick up in the next month or so.....but I'm just happy in the fact that in 5 weeks time my family and I will be making this massive move for the better...and I can't wait to sit back and see my two daughters grow up and flourish in a place that is SOOOOO much better than they could ever hope to have where we are at the moment.

Mark

Totally agree with you Mark. We can all sit around waiting for an improvement, which I am sure will come again, but as you say, the better life is the main thing. Good luck in the next five weeks, the excitement and build up must be amazing!! Keep everyone posted, esp any tips on getting the move right and how to stay calm!!! Best wishes to your family, Penny

Totally agree with you Mark. We can all sit around waiting for an improvement, which I am sure will come again, but as you say, the better life is the main thing. Good luck in the next five weeks, the excitement and build up must be amazing!! Keep everyone posted, esp any tips on getting the move right and how to stay calm!!! Best wishes to your family, Penny

Hi Rowy, notice your a nurse/midwife, And from Wales too! My wife started at Flinders in Paediatrics 4 weeks after we arrived, she loves it, nowhere as much stress as back in the UK, her work mates are really nice, got a load of them coming round for a BBQ in a couple of weeks, hope it all works out for you, keep remembering why you want to come out here, and it's also brilliant for the kids, our 2 love it and have more friends than ever before!!!!!!

Good luck!

Simon :)

Guest Stella and Dave

I know exactly how you feel, i have driven myself, my family and friends daft. I also was distressed about getting rid of all our pets, but they did go to some lovely homes. we hav'nt sold the house yet, but we took the plunge and have been here just under a week. first impressions was that it was very much a cross between britain and usa, lots of shopping centres along all the main roads. big straight roads and driving is easy. once you get to beach or countryside, then you realise your in oz, its beautiful. the wobbles still continue and i often think back at what i left to come here, we had a nice life, but were stressed out and miserable with work and the rat race. So now we've made our choice we have to stick with it and see where this road leads to, will it be worth it ? who knows, we can only answer that question 1 to 2 years ahead. if this adventure does not work out then however long it takes to get to that point, our friends and family will still be there, so no need to rush this decision. going to sort out schools and jobs today, that should help us get some sort of routine started and meet people. i know its only been a week but still overthinking things, so need to CALM DOWN! relax and enjoy. lets see what next week brings. good luck to everyone, stella xx

I know exactly how you feel, i have driven myself, my family and friends daft. I also was distressed about getting rid of all our pets, but they did go to some lovely homes. we hav'nt sold the house yet, but we took the plunge and have been here just under a week. first impressions was that it was very much a cross between britain and usa, lots of shopping centres along all the main roads. big straight roads and driving is easy. once you get to beach or countryside, then you realise your in oz, its beautiful. the wobbles still continue and i often think back at what i left to come here, we had a nice life, but were stressed out and miserable with work and the rat race. So now we've made our choice we have to stick with it and see where this road leads to, will it be worth it ? who knows, we can only answer that question 1 to 2 years ahead. if this adventure does not work out then however long it takes to get to that point, our friends and family will still be there, so no need to rush this decision. going to sort out schools and jobs today, that should help us get some sort of routine started and meet people. i know its only been a week but still overthinking things, so need to CALM DOWN! relax and enjoy. lets see what next week brings. good luck to everyone, stella xx

Hi Stella, another nurse, like carryon...we must be invading Oz!!! Where are you working? Thank you so much for the reply, I really related to it. As you say we have a nice life, I have a really good job, nice home, etc etc, so then you think why move and possibly lose it all!! But yes, maybe we wont be so stressed out and will be able to enjoy our days off with the weather!!! We cant plan anything here lets face it. Thank you for the reply considering you are only one week into it! Am envious you are already there. Keep us all posted!!! Penny and Alun

• 1 year later...

Did I really want that 4 double bed house with a large garden, stunning views and a swimming pool? Naaaa, just a pipe dream. I'll be happy with a little 3 bedder with a patio and some pot plants if it means I can relax in the sun, enjoy the fresh air, discover a bit more of this amazing country and, best off all, see my very special grandchildren grow up ..... priceless!