Meds, what's involved?

Guest Deanelaide

Guest Deanelaide

Could anyone tell me what is involved with the meds part of our application? we are wondering what we will be required to supply as in x-rays and information.

Thank you.

Dean.

Hi Dean

I was really apprehensive about this too but in actual fact it was really easy and straight forward. We have done our application through an agent and basically we were told when we were required to get them booked. They sent us a list of surgeries where you can get them done.

We booked one not far from where we live and turned up had X-rays at the hospital and then saw the doc later that afternoon.

The check your urine, weight, height, listen to your chest look your eyes and that sort of thing. We were only in the surgery 45 mins and that was with the kids too. We also had to have bloods taken to test for HIV.

It was more expensive than I thought though. I really can't remember exsactly but it was around 600 I think, but each clinic is different.

I really would not worry about them they are looking for any long term illness.

Good luck with your application

Michelle

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi

We had our medicals back in June, it cost £670 for the 5 of us. £260 each for me and OH and £50 each for the kids. Me and OH had bloods done, wee sample, x-ray and had to read off eye chart. All of us weighed :-((, height and boys had head measured (kids under 2 have to, so they said). When we saw the doc he listened to chest, looked in ears, eyes, mouth and felt throat. We all had to walk round and stand on toes and heels and touch toes and bend down. He felt all our stomachs. Didn't feel boys Bits as he looked in their medical books and was marked as having being checked at birth so they got out of that one. He also discussed previous medical history with us all. I know all places do things differently so others may have different things to add. I did have to take a copy of recent smear test.

Hope this helps

Michelle

Guest WoodMartin
Hi

We had our medicals back in June, it cost £670 for the 5 of us. £260 each for me and OH and £50 each for the kids. Me and OH had bloods done, wee sample, x-ray and had to read off eye chart. All of us weighed :-((, height and boys had head measured (kids under 2 have to, so they said). When we saw the doc he listened to chest, looked in ears, eyes, mouth and felt throat. We all had to walk round and stand on toes and heels and touch toes and bend down. He felt all our stomachs. Didn't feel boys Bits as he looked in their medical books and was marked as having being checked at birth so they got out of that one. He also discussed previous medical history with us all. I know all places do things differently so others may have different things to add. I did have to take a copy of recent smear test.

Hope this helps

Michelle

Ditto to this, our experience was exactly the same (minus the kids). Can't recall the cost but £260 sounds about right. All in all we were about an hour in the surgery. Not sure where you live - we went to Handsworth in Birmingham. We were especially worried about the weight thing, bit was not a problem. :biglaugh: Much to our relief. We had planned a big diet but then the med request came a lot sooner than we thought. Oops.

Ali

Guest The Dimmocks
Ditto to this, our experience was exactly the same (minus the kids). Can't recall the cost but £260 sounds about right. All in all we were about an hour in the surgery. Not sure where you live - we went to Handsworth in Birmingham. We were especially worried about the weight thing, bit was not a problem. :biglaugh: Much to our relief. We had planned a big diet but then the med request came a lot sooner than we thought. Oops.

Ali

Ours was at the clinic in Handsworth too. I had planned a diet beforehand as well but we had ours come through quicker so really couldn't loose a stone in 2 weeks.

Good luck with your move. Our house is currently on the market so we not moving over just yet. Keeping our fingers crossed it sells okay, it only been for sale for a week.

Michelle

Guest WoodMartin
Ours was at the clinic in Handsworth too. I had planned a diet beforehand as well but we had ours come through quicker so really couldn't loose a stone in 2 weeks.

Good luck with your move. Our house is currently on the market so we not moving over just yet. Keeping our fingers crossed it sells okay, it only been for sale for a week.

Michelle

We were not far off losing a stone in 2 weeks! Amazing what I could do with a bit (well, a LOT) of willpower and a Wii Fit! If I can do it then anyone can, so to anyone out there with a similar plan, it IS possible. :jiggy:

Good luck on the house, we sold ours in 9 days, so again, there is hope!

Ali

Guest The Dimmocks

Wow 9 days, that is great. We nearing the 9 day mark so don't think we will match that, still if it don't sell we got other plans which will think about more when the time arrives.

Could anyone tell me what is involved with the meds part of our application? we are wondering what we will be required to supply as in x-rays and information.

Thank you.

Dean.

Hiya,

Just like Riponian, we've gone through an agent and so they let you know when to book and give you details of places to chose from. We chose Knightsbridge doctors which was £220 each and £50 courier fee. We had them done on the friday and the results were sent off on the following wednesday.

There was 4 of us that went and as our kids are a bit older we had to pay full cost for theirs (ouch!) Anyway we went in and was given a form to read then sign for our HIV test. We were then called up one at a time. Asked for a wee sample, had chest x ray (checking for signs of TB) Then went into see the Dr who asked a few questions about medical history (I myself take medication for my blood pressure and I had to take a letter with me from my GP stating when I was diagnosed, what medication i'm on and that it is under controll) Next was having blood pressure checked, ears, eyes (including reading from the eye chart) Throat, tummy and finally blood test.

We were also asked things like why were we immigrating, did we have a criminal record and bizzare things like that, that had already been covered in our paper application. Anyway all our meds came back fine and it was another hurdle out of the way.

Maria :wubclub: