One year we've made it !!!!

Guest massive

I have always loved reading these one year threads and there have been so many times I never thought I'ld get the chance to post this but with alot of emotional times yes we have made it .

I have to say i was one of the I am not staying because i couldn't see what was so special with my rose tinted specticals i left England and nearly died when i got here if you are close to your family and friends nothing can prepare you for the distress you feel when you realise you wont be seeing them for a long time and without then around you so many trivial things become major issues .

I got here thinking well they speak English and they do Australian English so lots of things were different at first i resisted words such as texters, servo , rego, kindy until one of my life long friends back home said you left England because you were sick of others not intergrating in our society and now your doing the same and that was my wake up call :notworthy:so I statred to think differently and embrace my new home.

Yes I think so many thinks are more expensive than in England and feel ripped off with every shopping trip but to have a hubby that no longer works shifts for the first time in 20years who is home for tea everynight and off every weekend spending time with our children is totally priceles .

Anyone ready to come tell yourself you are coming for a different way of life this helped us to settle we had a very good life in England and for so long I couldn't get past this but when i changed my way of thinking I started to enjoy it more .

It is not perfect but is anywhere our 2 children never wont to go back permenantley and they were the main reason we made the move in the first place .

So one year in with a house build underway 2 very settled children and both working we look forward to the next year and our first visitors in Dec ;)

Debbie

congratulations on your year. lots of adjusting is definately needed i agree and its great to hear that you are settling more now. We all move here for a different lifestyle and for the kids but unsure of what that is takes time sometimes to realise it has started to change for the better. An honest post and heres to the next many years that become more and more enjoyable. :)

kathx

Guest kangomik

Hi Debbie

Well done on your first year.

I really think thats an excellent post, isn't it great how quickly the kids settle, let alone learn the new lingo (and up speak).

Having your partner home every night must be such a change, and a good one at that.

I think it is all about getting the mind sorted, putting up with the loses and embracing the changes.

Congrats on your 1st year Debbie and I hope the house build goes well.

We both could have done with some sort of glasses on when it came to telling the difference between a shark and a dolphin, couldn't we!!!:biglaugh:

Congrats on your 1st year Debbie and I hope the house build goes well.

We both could have done with some sort of glasses on when it came to telling the difference between a shark and a dolphin, couldn't we!!!:biglaugh:

hey Jackie you're only right but that is something i'll always look back on and laugh about hope ypu're ok i am often down your way working in the kindy send me a pm if you fancy a catch up x

I so wish I knew then what I know now, I would be still in Adelaide,, anyhow you have settled as you say because you have changed the way you think, this is the way to let go of all your craving back in the UK, the main reason I came bk to the UK is because I was so rigid in my thinking, you have to be flexible, you have to accept your living in OZ not the UK anymore!

Your post will probably help so many others who are struggling, the key to it all isnt rocket science-change your thinking !!!! ( just finished a CBT diploma & this is what CBT is all about)

Congrats on your 1st year, enjoy lots of years ahead of you!!!

Mayjess

Well done on your first year. No one said it would be easy. I think we all worry about the kids settling in but as you have found they settle better than their parents.

I'm with you on the lingo except if you ever hear me say 'arvo' please shoot me. :biglaugh:

Pete

Congratulations on your first anniversary Debbie.

Looks like you have really taken to this place now ,including the lingo.

Here's hoping for many more happy reports from you:)