Cost of a scan ????

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

Just wondered if anybody would know what the cost of a CT Scan would be .... I am on a temp 475 visa ... also how does "Bulk billing" work ( I really do NOT understand)?

Have seen a GP here regularly over the last few weeks & paid $60 each time!!!

Not complaining...just confused!!:goofy:

Gill

Just wondered if anybody would know what the cost of a CT Scan would be .... I am on a temp 475 visa ... also how does "Bulk billing" work ( I really do NOT understand)?

Gill

Hi Gill,

I had a CT Scan done a few weeks ago at Dr Jones & Partners and it cost $274. My GP 'bulk bills' which (I think) means they claim as a bulk from medicare, I've never had to pay when visiting the GP. I'm not really sure about your visa type tho. Medicare are very helpful if you pop in or give them a call, I'm sure they will enlighten you lol.

Gill

Scan costs, I think it depends on what sort and where. My OH paid $432 full cost for one last April and received $412 back from Medicare, but he id getting another next week at the RAH Radiology and will pay nothing as it has been ordered by a Clinic there. I would phone IMED 83092222, they will tell you exactly how much and how much you can claim back.

Bulk billing is when the doctor claims the cost of seeing you directly from Medicare (you sign a form in the surgery assigning your rights to the rebate). This means that you do not pay anything, generally.

Only some doctors bulk bill and you may have to phone a few surgeries to find out who they are.

Our surgery bulk bills only Pensioners and Concession card holders. I would personally think $60 quite excessive, never having paid more than $15 Gap for a normal consultation.

Everyone else has to pay either up front and claim it back from Medicare, or pay a Gap charged by the Doctor, which he deems to be the cost of seeng you over and above what he gets from Medicare.

You are free to chose to see any doctor and can shop around until you find a doctor and payment structure that suits you.

Sorry, but I have no idea how the temp 475 visa affects Medicare, but I am sure any office would tell you.

Guest caoimhe
also how does "Bulk billing" work ( I really do NOT understand)?

Gill

Call into your local Medicare office with the receipts of the doctors bill and you should get some of it back. Also keep ALL your recepits to do with medical costs for you tax return next year. If you spend over $1500 on medical/dental etc between the family you can claim 20% of the excess back.

Hi Gill

I think that the Aldinga Medical centre charges $42 and if paid by eftpos $21 of that will be paid straight back into your account.

As has already been said dependant on where you are sent for your scan will depend how much gap you pay. If you know where you are going to be sent then call the place and ask them, Ive always found them very helpful!

Lindsey