Proper bitter

Guest garlic--bread

Guest garlic--bread

Hi, I'm a real ale geek and went to Sydney last year (then on to Wagga Wagga to visit my sister) but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't find anything remotely like what I drink in the UK, the nearest thing I could find was castlemain dark from the local bottlo (I'm a big Wychwood brewery fan and Hobgoblin is my favourite, but mainly will sup most dark bitters! lol). Does anyone know if there are such beers available in and around Adelaide, as I'm visiting next year hopefully and would be over the moon if I could find something to drink other than lager!!

Guest guest3462

the nearest my hubby has found is coopers pale ale, which isn't that dark, or like traditional bitter. There is a fantastic indian restaraunt on goodwood road where you can buy Boddingtons and john smiths!!!!

There is a bottle shop called Dan Murphys where you can buy almost anything so i'm sure you'll be able to get at least a taster of what you like, other than that, you'll have to broaden your horizons and drink "beer" like the rest of us ;-)

JC x

My Beer-Expert other half says the nearest thing is the James Squire range of beers - they do an IPA and he likes their Amber Ale. You can also buy things like Hobgoblin in Dan Murphy's but it'll cost you!

Couple of good microbreweries dotted around though that are worth a visit - one at Lobethal http://www.ahcb.com.au/ and one at Goolwa http://www.steamexchange.com.au/ and of course, you can always start brewing your own stuff if you want to get something special!

Guest garlic--bread

Wow, what great replies...been on the Dan Murphy's website and there's one in Noarlunga and my sis is moving to Morphett Vale next month so she'll be letting me know whats what. The James Squire range sounds promising as I'm always open to trying new brews. The idea of brewing my own is interesting too....

Guest angiestaff

Hi,

i noticed that dan murphys has already been mentioned....i know that you can get bottles of HOBGOBLIN from there and other weird and wonderful real ales:jiggy:

ange

Guest WoodMartin

We have just visited the Port Dock Brewery as it was recommended to us before we arrived. We will be going back which is always a good sign - OH sampled 2 and enjoyed both. Agree on Coopers Pale Ale if not served cold. James Squire also good so I must agree with all comments above. Another beer tried (from Woolworths in Rundle Mall, not sure if everywhere do them, or how widely available) and enjoyed is 'Little Creatures'.

He is enjoying trying out the different beers, some nicer than others but it is all part of settling in!

Ali

Guest nishman

Dan Murphys' is the place if you need a "real ale" hit. I noticed Hob Goblin, Fursty Ferret, Old Speckled Hen and others there. You will of course pay through the nose for some ($7 a bottle!).

I tried some West Aus beers the other week (dark and stout) - can't remnber the name off hand, but they were next to the "little creatures" (which is also a nice drop).

Coopers and Tooheys both do a dark beer (called dark and old respectively) which are a bit more mainstream but still worthy of mention

This is getting even better...thanks for the replies so far peoples! :-)

I also like English bitters, especially Marstons Pedigree, Ruddles County, Timothy Taylors Landlord... etc! Nearest thing for depth of flavour and bitterness is Cooper's Sparkling Ale. The Pale is also good, as someone else said, but I prefer the Sparkling.

One important thing is to allow any beer you are served to warm up a bit. For some reason, many Aussies like it ice-cold, and that masks much of the complexity.

Guest angiestaff
if you like going to pubs, try the port dock brewery at port adelaide that has all different brews and some dark.

thanks for that advice Si.....as it's 5 min up the road no doubt as soon as i tell hubby i'll be dragged off to this pub :)...and also be designated the driver lol

ange

Guest garlic--bread

Can't wait now...it does sound expensive at around $7 a bottle for Hobgoblin but I think I can cope with that, the price in the uk is roughly anywhere between £1 (aldi's when they stock it) to £1.80 - £2.00 (at the co-op) so an extra £1.50 ish per bottle isn't going to break the bank ! I'm looking forward to trying some of the other brews at the micro-breweries.

Can't wait now...it does sound expensive at around $7 a bottle for Hobgoblin but I think I can cope with that, the price in the uk is roughly anywhere between £1 (aldi's when they stock it) to £1.80 - £2.00 (at the co-op) so an extra £1.50 ish per bottle isn't going to break the bank ! I'm looking forward to trying some of the other brews at the micro-breweries.

I drink guinness or bitter myself here in the uk so i know where your coming from,i tried a lot of the beers mentioned on our reccie,for me "tooheys old" is by far the best,btw real ale in the uk try sainsburys,old speckled hen 8 for £8,bargain booze does 3 bottles"old peculiar" for £4.50,guinness in oz i paid between $7 to $9 for a 440ml can in the pubs.........hence the tooheys old:biglaugh: