things to do after arrival?

Guest mOZzy

so what are all the things we need to do after our arrival?

i've got an absolut blank and can't come up with anything :goofy:

medicare, tax nr, drivers licence, ....

should i do them in a certain order? are some necessary to do others?

where do i go for all those?

i thought i'll take my whole documents folder and that should cover everything.

do we all have to turn up?

is it worth it for dh to sign up with job agencies? he still needs to do his a licence first.

thanks as always :notworthy:

Guest Here at last!

I would say Medicare first, then Tax File Number but would do the TFN online as it's quicker.

I think you can drive on your UK license for a couple of months so no rush.

House, bank account and car?

I had a folder with important documents like passport, driving license, insurance no claims confirmation etc etc in and took that everywhere with me for the first couple of weeks.

Good luck

Guest kangomik

agree with the driving license, no rush there.

Trying to find a rental will be good, so get the bank account open, and bring some references if you can to help secure this.

TFN etc do as early as poss, get all the little things done in the city all in one day.

Then it's drive drive drive, with UBD in hand wondering which way is up?!!!! LOL

Have fun.

Hi

Having just arrived, been here 10 days the most importnat things for us were car, officially open out bank accounts, medicare and TFN and rentals!

My husband was in touch with agencies before we arrived but they could not do anything really until he arrived.

We only have our rental car until next week so deciding on what and where we were buying our car was very high on our list.

Driving licence is not a rush as you have three months but will be doing soon. TFN is next on the list but try not to do too much in one go. We wiped ourselfs out the first day by doing too much and the kids got really annoyed being dragged around.

We now try and have a day doing stuff and then a day of fun or relaxing round the house.

Having a file with your important docs is a good idea, passports, driving licence brain gone blank but someone posted a list a wjile back have a look.

Good luck and enjoy.

Michelle

Guest the4hopes

Have a weeks holiday!! We did it all on the second day because we thought it had to be done! Wish we had just enjoyed our first days here a bit more, and just had a good rest!

Guest steph&neil

Hi we went with virgin mobile as we can call each other for free! the deals are pretty simillar but we went with them for braodband as well - we moved a couple of times in the first few months & the mobile broadband was never a problem!

I would phone for TFN as you will get it over the phone & then they post a copy - has to be applied for by the person who needs it!

also if you are still moving about a bit it is handy to know that you can use any post office for mail delivery - just put c/o the post office of your choice with postcode & then take your passport to collect we did this for bank cards, Rego & TFN, you can use the service for the first 3 months then update when you have a rental!

Forget whatever has gone before its a new country and a whole new life, sure thigs will be so so different than back in the yUK...come with an open mind a big will to succeed.

Make friends, be them, Poms, Aussies, Kiwis whatever as you will soon find out that some of these guys become the closest thing you will get to family out here these are the guys that will listen, comfort and offer you support when you are having a few rough times, and trust me you will have some of them.

Enjoy your life out here, and embrace the way Aussies do things out here.

HG

so what are all the things we need to do after our arrival?

i've got an absolut blank and can't come up with anything :goofy:

medicare, tax nr, drivers licence, ....

should i do them in a certain order? are some necessary to do others?

where do i go for all those?

i thought i'll take my whole documents folder and that should cover everything.

do we all have to turn up?

is it worth it for dh to sign up with job agencies? he still needs to do his a licence first.

thanks as always :notworthy:

Hi

can't remember if your on a PR visa or not, if your on a temp visa, don't forget your NHS card to get the recipricol medicare card, not being a British passport holder if my memory serves :):)

Simon

Guest steph&neil

Hi also note if you are on a temp visa you dont have to get a australian driver licence (optional but we didnt need to so saved the money! about $300 for a 10 year licence) - just carry your eu one as they need to see it if you get pulled over - they do a lot of random breath tests here but dont ask to see your licence, but my OH was stopped last year & told that he the law says he must carry his EU licence when driving! x

thanks a bunch you lovely people!!

my list is growing :goofy:

i have planned not to do everything at once - and have some kind of a holiday mixed with 'official' things to do.

the TFN: i won't be working till the kids go to school so in 2 years - will i need a TFN as well? or just dh who will earn all the money to give it to me.

mobile phone: contract or payg?

obviously rental is a big worry - the first 3 weeks are sorted: will it be a struggle to find a long term rental????

IF I'VE TOLD YOU ONCE I'VE TOLD YOU A HUNDRED TIMES YOU BUY CAKE AND MEET THE BABES!!!!

had to thank you - there is no SPANK button!!

Hi

can't remember if your on a PR visa or not, if your on a temp visa, don't forget your NHS card to get the recipricol medicare card, not being a British passport holder if my memory serves

Simon

thanks simon! we are on PR - but you are right i am not britsh, will that matter?!?

Guest steph&neil

hi we are on contract phones - use the extra credit to call uk! TFN you should apply anyway but no hurry if you arent going to work! PAYG phone is a good idea to start with then you can check out which company & deal you want - here all the contracts are 2 years - this is standard with most things!

Guest ben&sharon

Hiya!

In our experience:

Get yourself a printout from the bank with your address on it and go get your driving license first. It counts as 70 of the 100 points of identity that you need in order to get a longer term rental or a mortgage (depending on which way you go to begin with). Your Medicare card being the other 30 points, which is the thing that you should get next. You can use your passports for a short time for the 100 points, but i think that's only a couple of months. You've got to do these things anyway, so why wait???

Been watching your progress - hope the last bit goes smoothly for you!

Sharon. :)

Guest Lulujim

Hiya:

- Ambulance Cover - very important. Judi had some people staying at her rental that needed it in first few weeks and cost a bomb! So make sure you get that asap. You can get it through SA Ambulance directly - or through Private Health Cover if you're getting it.

- TFN - already covered - I think I'd get it anyway - v quick and easy to do online

- Driving License - there is no immediate hurry but th majority of insurance comapnies said the insurance wd be cheaper if we had converted to Aus licence....

- Rental - can be quite hard I believe so start looking when you've recovered!! Visit all the offices personally and tell them what you're after. If you're able to pay week's ahead/cash I htink it helps!!

- Unlock your mobile before you come over and then you won't need to buy a new phone, just a SIM card for Pay as You Go. You won't be able to get contract until you've got a good credit history - even a few months of earning. I got refused in my second wk here, went back to the same shop 2 months later and all ok! PAYG phones seem quite pricey here too - so unlock before you fly!!

- Car seats for the kids? Try K-Mart/Target or Big W?

- We had a folder with passports, marriage certificates, pay slips for mortgage, references for job hunting etc etc too. Very useful!

HTH, Alexis x

thanks a bunch you lovely people!!

thanks simon! we are on PR - but you are right i am not britsh, will that matter?!?

no, if you were on a temp visa and relying on the recipricol agreement for medicare it would have made a difference, depends if Australia has an agreement with your country of citizenship, but as you have been living in the UK you could still have got the recipricol medicare even if there is no agreement with you home country if your registered with the NHS, but as you have PR and get medicare proper, just ignore me !:):)

Simon

Sharon thanks for all the tips!

lol at following our progress - does that mean we'll meet up in the end??

Alexis thanks too - another one i've forgotten.

hope you are settling in nicely

simon could never ignore you :)

Guest Carolandcraig

Wow, what a great thread, i cant contribute as we are not there yet, but will be referring to this once our house is sold and can finaly make the move, once again many thank to everyones contribution.

Guest WoodMartin

Get yourself a printout from the bank with your address on it and go get your driving license first. It counts as 70 of the 100 points of identity that you need in order to get a longer term rental or a mortgage (depending on which way you go to begin with). Your Medicare card being the other 30 points, which is the thing that you should get next. You can use your passports for a short time for the 100 points, but i think that's only a couple of months.

We used our UK driving licences for rental points with no problems. Also spotted that each rental application form had slightly different points allocated to each ID. For one application we needed birth cert, medicare, passport and Driving license; for another passport and medicare was enough...:huh:

Our experience has been that having a mobile number has been the best thing we've done - medicare, TFN, bank etc all wanted contact numbers.

Ali