Strange terminology.

sueoc

Hi,

I find some of the terms the Aussies use very different from what we say in the UK,like a newspaper will say "MAN ACCUSED OF BASHING",or Wigan WAS beaten by Wolves.With cars wheel discs are Rotors,wings are Fenders,and still cant find out what DUCO is? Crisps are Chips,so what are Chips?Why is bedding,towels etc called Manchester? There is (OOPS) are loads of them,wierd but amusing,i often scratch the old bonce at some of them,Ha!

Why is bedding,towels etc called Manchester?

In some UK stores and also in parts of the UK linen products are known as Manchester. It goes back to the flemish weavers that settled and set up shop there at the time of the industrial revolution. Mass production of good quality products meant that most of the linen bought and sold in the world came from Manchester. For the same reason vases and cups and saucers are called China as China was the birth place of porcelain making.

Hope this helps explain that one.

Oh and you my find this answers another of your questions...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duco

Hi,

I find some of the terms the Aussies use very different from what we say in the UK,like a newspaper will say "MAN ACCUSED OF BASHING",or Wigan WAS beaten by Wolves.With cars wheel discs are Rotors,wings are Fenders,and still cant find out what DUCO is? Crisps are Chips,so what are Chips?Why is bedding,towels etc called Manchester? There is (OOPS) are loads of them,wierd but amusing,i often scratch the old bonce at some of them,Ha!

Duco is the paint / paint finish on a car

Chips are Hot chips

There are some funny ones. Home invasion (break-in), retrenchment (redundancy) etc etc

Guest Guest75

:biglaugh:

We went through this when we first arrived.

Some of the local sayings can sound unnatural.

"I've had my dogs de-sexed"??? In Yorkshire we had their Bxxxxxxs chopped - and that was the vet saying it.

"Rims"??? ya mean wheels!

I can say "Arvo" now at least - unlike some in here:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:biglaugh:

We went through this when we first arrived.

Some of the local sayings can sound unnatural.

"I've had my dogs de-sexed"??? In Yorkshire we had their Bxxxxxxs chopped - and that was the vet saying it.

"Rims"??? ya mean wheels!

I can say "Arvo" now at least - unlike some in here:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I still can't help smiling everytime I say G'day, how long is this likely to last for?, working in the shop I here it about 30 times a day and say it as many but still makes me smile. When the coffee rep came in once he said G'day Simon, here youve been crook, not been bludging have you, thought I was on home and away.

Simon:)

Guest kangomik

paying out

bloody oath

what the

lollies

thongs (this grabs fella's attention)

Why is a pint not a pint?

Why do they want to put sauce on everything? (and look at you funny if you say no)

Why can you not get chips, oops sorry hot chips, at the chinky

Asian people are chinese or japanese looking

How many adverts for nasal spray are needed in 1 hour?

Guest Guest75
Hey PP if it lasted once that could be a couple of months worth for me!:biglaugh:

The joys of getting old, having kids and going to bed early to SLEEP:SLEEP:

Kids do grow up and flit the nest.............I ain't going into the rest.:Randy-git:

Ooooerr!!! First time I've used that emoticon!