Wallet lost - wallet found :-)

Guest PhilC

So I managed to loose my wallet the other day whilst out shopping for beds and furniture, I realised when I got home that I'd dropped it somewhere. I managed to narrow it down to a couple of places where we'd parked the car, went and had a look but it had gone :-(

So I cancelled all my newly acquired bank cards and all the English bank cards and put it down to expirence (and about 300 bucks). The next day we had a voicemail from our bank manager saying someone had contacted them saying that they had found my wallet. It turns out that this old fella had parked behind where we were (after we had gone), seen my wallet, picked it up and then attempted to track me down by the contents of my wallet.

So yesterday I was reunited with my wallet and all the cash and cards - absolutely nothing missing - I gave the old fella a bottle of wine as a thankyou, but mostly I was very surprised that someone had the decency to pick my wallet up and then attempt to track me down. I can't imagine this happening too often in the UK, but it's nice to know that there are some good, decent folks over here.

Phil

Two of my friends daughters have both lost mobile phones over here one in Hungry Jacks and the other at a music festival, there parents both had phone calls to tell them that the phones had been picked up and where they could be collected before the girls even realised they were missing - they were decent phones too, both returned to their rightful owners!

Guest SA Great

Lost wallet at the soccer about 3 weeks ago, on the way home they phoned me to say it had been handed in! Cash was missing (probably a Melbourne fan!) but everything else still intact

Guest k8bug79

I am not naiive enough to think just because there is a handful of you guys that have had good experiences with this that in Australia lose something and it will always be handed in, but I do wonder if a thread like this was started in the UK how many responses would be like above, not many I guess????

But what I want to know is why What do you reckon it is about Australia that makes people more honest> Do you think the anonymity in Britain means people find it easier to act selfishly. I have been asked the moral questions along the lines of would you d if you picked up a wallet with £1000 in it" and I have to say I have struggled with it, I am a good very decent person yet faced with that dilemma I am not 00% sure I would hand the wallet back with the cash. My thinking, and its wrong, would be "someone else would take it" like I said i know that's wrong and I am not saying I would take the money but I would struggle with the decision, so what makes me, a law abiding citizen feel like that n the UK whereas people on Oz obviously don't

I am not naiive enough to think just because there is a handful of you guys that have had good experiences with this that in Australia lose something and it will always be handed in, but I do wonder if a thread like this was started in the UK how many responses would be like above, not many I guess????

That was why I posted it in the first place - it was very unexpected it to get it back - my first thoughts were to cancel all the cards as quickly as possible before somebody racks up a load of purchases - I've had that done to me in the UK twice in the last 5 years. I know this is just a random incedent, but from the treatment we've received from people over here so far (all 3 weeks of it) they are different over here.

As for finding a wallet with £1000 in it, that's an easy one (for me anyway), if it was yours what would you want them to do with it?

Guest k8bug79
That was why I posted it in the first place - it was very unexpected it to get it back - my first thoughts were to cancel all the cards as quickly as possible before somebody racks up a load of purchases - I've had that done to me in the UK twice in the last 5 years. I know this is just a random incedent, but from the treatment we've received from people over here so far (all 3 weeks of it) they are different over here.

As for finding a wallet with £1000 in it, that's an easy one (for me anyway), if it was yours what would you want them to do with it?

Lol well that's where I struggle, because of course if it was mine I would want them to hand it back. I think in all reality I would hand it back intact but I am not denying the thought to keep the cash would cross my mind. But then I guess (getting all philosophical) the fact that as Humans we are able to differentiate between what is wrong and right, it what makes us an intelligent breed able to exist as a community, because surely when this basic decision is ignored that is where society falls apart ???????

I dont think it really makes a difference if you lose something in Australia or the UK.....its the luck of the draw who finds it...whether they are an honest person or not...

My daughter has lost her mobile phone twice this year....the first time on NYE in Glenelg....I got a call from her phone by this guy saying he had find her phone...he'd obviously looked through her contacts and found 'MUM'...she got the phone back...

Second time a couple of months ago....she lost it on a night out......never heard a thing. So some dishonest person has kept the phone....

Glad you got your wallett back!

Guest Team 'W'

do you know what! sometimes the good outway the bad,im soooo glad it all worked out for you guys,but we must give a though to those who avent been so lucky . Weve been here for 10 wks now an met some really lovelly people who have gone out of their way to help us , an we are so grateful!!

There are good an bad in every country ?