almost 1 year here and loving it.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Guest cornish Busdriver

Well we will have here 1 year to the day at 8am 16-11-09 and still love it.:jiggy:

We stepped off the plane at 8am on the 16-11-08 after a flight from hell from being delayed at Singapore for 8 hrs.

Walked straight across the airport car park to Thrifty and picked up the hire care and headed off to the hotel (Adelaide Meridian) on Melbourne Street where we were staying for the next few weeks. As soon as we dropped our bags off at the hotel we got a copy of the advertiser and started house hunting.

Next morning was spent going round real-estate agents and going to viewings and hell we saw some dodgy viewing. We eventually found a great house in Christies Beach that would allow both our dogs inside and got a $20 pw reduction in the rent as well so we put in the paperwork and secured it the same day so the next few days was being spent shopping for the rental until our furniture arrived in March.

Mandy had to go back to the UK on the 28-11-09 to Compleat on the house sale and get the dogs and furniture shipped out but couldn’t return till march 09 so spent Xmas fishing on the beach.

There was time’s when it got a bit lonely but we talked everyday via web cam, phone or yahoo messenger so it wasn’t that bad.

I started work in Jan for Torrens transit and found out that bus drivers here earn a shed load more money than what you get paid in the uk with shorter hrs. I wanted to get back into computers again (programming and web-design) but the money here is crap for IT.

Mandy arrived in March 09 took a couple of months holiday before she started work in theatres for the Calvary Wakefield. She used to say “great people to work with but what a crap place to work” so she now works in Flinders and loving it.

In august we brought our house, we could only dream before of having a house like this and sometimes we still got to pinch ourselves that it is really ours.

We had set a budget of $350K but couldn’t find the right house so upped the budget to 400K and found the right house but in the wrong area. We upped the budget to 500K and found the right house in the right area for $450K.

Money wise we are so much better off even with the mortgage and running 2 large cars plus motorbike. We actually now get to spend lots of time together and its brilliant.

The dogs love Christies beach so we get there as often as we can or go the dog walking and training area off Doctors Rd in Morphett vale, Moana beach is good and closer to us but the pups still prefer Christies.

We've made some great friends and neighbours here as everyone one we’ve met has been really friendly, yes there’s Ozzies that won’t like pomes but what the hell, it’s exactly the same as the uk with immigrants.

There’s a lot of banter in work between brits and ozzys but its all meant and taken as fun.

We are so glad we made the move and have no intention of ever returning to the uk as I think the dogs might have something to say about it as well.

Yes. this post made me smile too! Great that everything has worked out so well for you as you have had it hard being apart from your partner for so long. I love Christies Beach too - it's a great beach. Best wishes for your second year.

Guest mayjess

Hi Matt, congrats to your anniversary of living over there, I was trying to send you a PM, wouldnt allow it! anyways was gonna ask about torrens Transit, when we lived over there, my hubby passed the interview & was about to start training but his mum sadly passed away, lots of people put him off bus driving over there saying it would be highly stressful & not worth it, can you give me a bit more info on working over there as a bus driver please? he could possibly go for it again when we return maybe!

thanks

Mayjess

Guest cornish Busdriver

D'day Mayjess.

Bus driving here is the same as the UK but with older buses but a lot less hassel and better maney for less hours.

Average 6to 8 hrs a day monday to fri with the option of doing more if you want, everyother sat or sun. average take home between $700 to $900 pw possible upto $1200+ if ya wanna put the hours in. Ya gotta kinda have a pretty screwy sence of humor.

Guest cornish Busdriver
G'day Matt, and Mandy!

Like you, we reach our anniversary on the 20th, just 4 days after you.

Seems the pathway is simmilar too, we bought our house in June and feel very settled now.................though mandy got it right about calvary!! Glad shes happier at flinders.

Take care and happy anniversary

Jane

Gday jane. We brought our house on Grand Blvd, seaford rise. Mandy coulnt wait to get out calvary and flinder is putting her a post grad course now. Lot more oppitunities and further training there. How you been doing heard off you in ages

All good Matt, thanks.

Ask Mandy if theres any jobs going in recovery or endoscopy would you; i have had a gutful of calvary..................people are nice, mostly; and the care is good, but no bloody education, no real fairness in the shifts, parking is pants...............and madatory comps are causing me a minimum 13 hr day:arghh:. Guess thats the private sector for you...................

Glad about the house,

Jane

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hi Jane.

Yeah Flinders Medical is taking on in all departments to do with theaters and they seriously value UK nurses that have been doing it a while and you get paid more as well ;).

Mandy hated the parking and the stupid hours at the Calvary, she never did get the parking permit they promised her lol lol lol.

If ya wanna meet up for a few beers some time, im sure mandy would give you all the goss, pro's and con's of Fkinders.