Here for 1 week - this is what we have done

foxychick

I have posted this elsewhere, but thought it may (or may not) be of interest to some on here.

We have been here just over 1 week, it feels like longer and in some ways it feels like we have achieved a lot but in others we don't seem to have got very far. Early for a post I know, but just to get things down whilst they are fresh.

First off, we have been going along this emigration road for quite some time now for various reasons and thought we were all prepared to go, but I would have to say we really did not anticipate just quite how hard the final goodbyes to family would be, it was really quite devastating. A lot of things came together in a big rush for us at the end, which left us rushing around right up to the day before we left and leaving quite a few loose ends which probably made it worse. The flight was ok and we arrived to the meet and greet service at Adelaide Airport. They were very good and I would say it is worth it for the fantastic information pack they provide and the free UBD, the lady also gave us a contact at the government and her phone number for if we had any questions.

We seemed to have bad jet lag this time, so spent practically the whole of the first day sleeping! We want to buy a house asap so hopefully our stuff can get delivered to it and also because as those of you watching in the UK will know house prices are rising very rapidly here in Adelaide, there is also a massive shortage of houses for sale. We thought driving around would be a good way to find houses for sale, but I would say 75% of houses for sale don't bother with a board, and the real estate agents in the local area may not be the ones dealing with the sale, so really the internet is a must to track down anything for sale, along with all the realestate papers. We have been to quite a few opens last weekend and will be doing the same this weekend, you just have to try and be really organised with it. Our problem mainly is that we have a wide search criteria, which in some ways helps and in some ways hinders. We have got mobile wireless internet for the laptop, this is great as it means you can take the lappy out in the car with you and search for any houses in a certain area etc.

Getting the wireless connection was a job in itself, it is very very difficult to get anything without a bank statement/bill showing your address, so it may be wise to open your account early in the UK, then straight away go to the bank, change the address and make a transaction so you can get a statement.

We have applied for tax file numbers online (details supplied in welcome pack) and it was fairly painless. Have also applied for medicare numbers at Marion, this can take about 1/2 and hour.

A mobile phone is quite an essential in the house hunting/job hunting stakes too, this is really easy to sort, just bring your unblocked mobile, buy a sim, show some proof of id (driving licence is ok) and away you go.

We have also bought a new car, went to most of the manufactuers and settled on a Holden Captiva, the salesman (Jason Webb - Hamilton Holden) was excellent and is happy for us to recommend him on here, he was not high pressure, went out of his way to make time for us and got everything sorted asap. All of the dealers were very good, no high pressure sales or anything, with the exception of Jarvis Toyota on South Road, the guys were very nice and helpful, but the pressure selling was intense and we couldn't get out of the showroom for nearly 2 hours, looking back we should have been rude and walked out, but we just aren't like that, they also followed us up several times. Mentioning this to Aussies, this is the selling technique for this garage, as I say the guys were very nice, but if you are a bit jet lagged it may be worth being aware so you don't get parted with your money too easily!! dry.gif

We have also looked at a couple of schools, again fairly easy to do.

Nath starts work casual on monday to start with, so we will see how that goes, his future boss is really nice, even rang him today to invite him on a bike ride on sunday! Can't understand why we want to live in the south though!

I suppose reading this back, we have achieved quite a lot in 8 days, sometimes it doesn't feel like it though, I think because we don't have our own home sorted yet, regarding suburbs, we have driven around many southern suburbs this week and my main comment would be that practically all of the areas are 'mixed' good streets next to bad streets everywhere, so it really is just a case of finding what suits you.

thanks to those adbritters who have pm'd, I will be catching up with you all next week I hope, once Nathan is at work and I have some time to spare.

I would add as a last note that we don't feel that we can easily go back, but in these first few days it is easy to understand just how people can get back on the plane and go 'home' again very quickly, it is easy when you are sat in the UK to think this is a silly attitude, but until you arrive and feel totally unsettled you probably can't understand how easy it would be to turn straight around, however, these feelings do begin to pass quickly and Adelaide is already starting to feel more like home, it is just a case of sticking with it (must say the sunshine days that are winter are helping us along!)

rachel biggrin.gif

Guest massive

Best of luck to you your post was good as it has made me realize it is going to be difficult also the bit about houses is interesting because we hear all the time on these sites that the prices are going up but have just thourght it was a snowball gossip effect but it appears to be true but they still seem more reasonable than here when we look is this the case

takecare The Kershaw Family

Guest Gordon & Dena Morrison

hi there rachel,

we know exactley how you feel as we too arrived on mon of this week.

nothing prepares you for how emotionly you feel when you get here, on the first eve (just after 20hrs+ of flying) we all wondered what the heck we had done:unsure:. but now only a few days on things start falling into place.:)

we too are looking at property to buy, there are houses aound but not as easy to find, internet is a must.

met some great people here which helps, aussies are very frendy too!

good luck,

Dena, Gordon & family

hello rachel!

i thought it sounded familiar ;)

but nevertheless, i loved reading it a second time :D

and you've been very busy for having arrived only a week ago!!!

good luck with the rest

Guest ralph n bev

Hi Rachel,

De ja vu :wacko:

Thanks for taking the time, and i think youve done loads. :notworthy:

The housing market is a bit sparce at the mo , our mates have just got back from a reccie in Adelaide and Brisbane. They said plenty new builds and plots, for all of you wanting a big modern house , not so many established older properties .

Plenty in the windows , then when you go in there under contract.

They also said to be careful if the price isnt listed as when the agents hear a British accent the price goes up:mad:

Hope that bits just gossip !!

Either that or get a friendly Ozzy to phone and enquire the price first!!

Hope you find something soon.

Bev

2nd weekend of opens this weekend, more promising stuff, but I would say house prices have really risen in the last couple months. Because there is a shortage of property, you feel you would have to rush into something. Also an agent told us this weekend you only get one shot at an offer!!:arghh:

There is stuff out there, it's just taking the plunge now. Must say though at some places the opens were swarming with bloody POMS! :biglaugh:

Nath started work this morning, so we'll see how that goes! Feels a bit weird on my own, don't quite know what to do.

rachel

Relish the silence I would say. Since being here I have rediscovered reading (mainly because the TV is so awful), walking and just exploring places, window shopping and I have started writing letters rather than emails, people seem to appreciate a piece of paper through the post!!! We took the plunge and bought a house two weeks after getting here because of the fact that there sre so few houses out there (see article in the 'tiser) today. If you are ever up by the city (we are in Unley) give us a shout, unlike you we haven't seen another English person since we got here!!!!!!

Hi, havnt been on for a while as dont have much access to computer. We arrived on 16th sept and luckily have family to stay with as finding a house in our budget is harder than thought. Our son starts school next week and hubby hopefully will start work too. two days after getting here I found out I was expecting baby no 4 so house hunting now gettin urgent. I know what you mean about the for sale signs, we reckon they are already sold before the signs go up. anyway good luck with the house hunting, I'm sure something will come up soon

wendy

Guest batleys

thank you for your post we have not started and of the process yet we are going for 3 weeks recci in november to decide but i'm costantly looking for what ifs and your post answered alot i'am allready terrified at the idea of leaving but fed up of this country. Looking forward to november. Please keep us update with you new life in aus

sorry to be nosey but how are yoy funding your property purchase are you getting a mortgage.. as we would have to have a small mortgage but i don't know how long we would have to wait to get one thats all. Just trying to answer as many of the thousands of questions running around in my head.

Wow, good for you Rachel, it seems you've acheived quite a lot in the short time you've been here.

Some good tips in that post for newbies arriving.

All the best for your new life.

Judi x