Advice flights Manchester to Adelaide mum in law

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

As we have only ever gone via Singapore & always with that long 17hrs stopover inbetween could anybody give advice as my mum in law is wanting to come out next April & all that she has been offered is this one via Singapore with the LONG stopover which she really doesn't fancy (travelling on her own is hard enough for her).

Any advice other routes such as Kuala Lumpur & what connections & stopovers would be involved.She is nearly 70 & this is such a scary thing for her to be doing on her own for the first time ever & we want to make it as smooth as possible for her (if that can possibly be travelling that far)

Thanks in advance

Gill

Guest Jen & Did

Hi Gill,

If your mum flies Qantas she can go Manchester - London - Singapore - Adelaide. Stops are normally no more than a few hours ( I think the singapore one is 4 hours).

If she flies Emirates she can go Manchester - Dubai - Singapore - Adelaide. Again lay overs aren't very long - a couple of hours at most. Emirates can also fly you in via Melbourne but wouldn't recommend it! This is done with Qantas and they have a lower baggage allowance than Emirates so watch you don't get done for excess!!!

I'm doing the 17 hour lay over next week....not looking forward to it!!!

Cheers

Dave

Guest nishman

If it's the one I'm thinking of (the one I used twice), the 17hrs stopover is a life saver! You can book into the transit hotel at Changi/Singapore for 8 or 12 hours and catch up on some sleep before getting on the flight to Adelaide.

Guest cunnah10
If it's the one I'm thinking of (the one I used twice), the 17hrs stopover is a life saver! You can book into the transit hotel at Changi/Singapore for 8 or 12 hours and catch up on some sleep before getting on the flight to Adelaide.

I "personally" agree with you AND we too were so relieved to use the hotel transit with the 4 kids in tow BUT mum in law has got herself into a panic of being on her own for over 17hrs & staying in a hotel room etc... Think I may have another "talk" to her!!! Thanks for the reply !

Guest philnjulie
I "personally" agree with you AND we too were so relieved to use the hotel transit with the 4 kids in tow BUT mum in law has got herself into a panic of being on her own for over 17hrs & staying in a hotel room etc... Think I may have another "talk" to her!!! Thanks for the reply !

hi, we have had an elderley relative come over twice now used ba and quantas both times always complained about the food but you can get assistance at every stop, help with finding the next flight help at heathrow changing terminals and always found herself at the front of the queues and she has always arrived safe and sound shes 80 and looking for her next flights next year hope this helps , think you pay a little extra but well worth it and much easier for her to book at a travel agents. hope this helps

phil

Guest Here at last!

I think Cathay do a Hong Kong stopover for about 5 hours. She would need to fly to LHR from Manchester.

My MIL did the Singapore route and she was fine. We did expect to get a call saying she was lost in Singapore but she did 6 hours in the transit hotel, then had a foot massage, met a man from Sydney to chat to for an hour and then did the free tour from the airport round Singapore to pass a couple of hours on. There is so much to do in the airport that she really will be fine and so many people to help her.

Hi Gull,

As you know Ive just done it alone with my two girls and we enjoyed the stopover on the way back, booked the transit hotel for 2 x 6hr blocks, slept the 1st 7hrs and then had 3 hrs round the pool, we were in Terminal 1 as Terminal 3 was full but it was an advatage as its where the pool is, she could take a good book and sit around the pool in the shade, get a drink and a snack and people watch.

Our jet lag was very mild, which was because of the sleep we had in Singapore.

The 'helpers' are all over the airport if unsure of directions.

My MIL won't do this alone (she is 76) so your mum is great if she can just have a go and once she has done it she will be ok for next time she comes for a visit, I just think lots of stopovers will be worse for her, family see her off at Manchester and 1 stop in the middle at Singapore and then family to meet in Adelaide.

Tina

When we came last Nov we only had 5 hours at Singapore. It was Singapore airlines via Heathrow... the schedule may have changed from then

Hi,

Flying from Manchester its 17hrs in Singapore, we just did it last month.

I believe that Singapore is the only airline that fly from Manchester to Adelaide with 1 stopover.

Tina

Guest Jamie Mac

I can highly recommend using the transit hotel in Changi to catch up on some sleep. We used it to bed down for the night before we had a morning flight to Heathrow on the return leg of our recce trip. Made the world of difference compared to the journey out.

Guest Pat n Jo

Hi Gill,

My mum is wanting to come out next April also will be flying from Manchester, so was wondering if your MIL fancies a travelling companion as my Mum also doesn't want to fly out on her own? How long is your MIL thinking of coming over for? Let me know what you think and we can take it from there.

Thanks

Joanne

Guest cunnah10

Hey that sounds like a possibilty!! I believe flights are more expensive before 10th April so she was thinking 10th April until 3rd May (this is what the travel company came back with though)she doesn't mind what date .. But will probably be around that sort of date (if not those actual dates) & will stay for about 3 weeks.

My Mum in law loves her computer so if your MIL is the same then let me know & maybe we could put them intouch!!!

Where is your MIL from?

My MIL lives in Liverpool

Hopefully speak soon

Gill xx

Guest cunnah10
Hi Gill,

My mum is wanting to come out next April also will be flying from Manchester, so was wondering if your MIL fancies a travelling companion as my Mum also doesn't want to fly out on her own? How long is your MIL thinking of coming over for? Let me know what you think and we can take it from there.

Thanks

Joanne

Sorry Joanne ...just realized its "YOUR MUM" not MIL