• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Advice flights Manchester to Adelaide mum in law

Title
      Liked
      44 times
      Rep

Advice flights Manchester to Adelaide mum in law

As we have only ever gone via Singapore & always with that long 17hrs stopover inbetween could anybody give advice as my mum in law is wanting to come out next April & all that she has been offered is this one via Singapore with the LONG stopover which she really doesn't fancy (travelling on her own is hard enough for her).
      Any advice other routes such as Kuala Lumpur & what connections & stopovers would be involved.She is nearly 70 & this is such a scary thing for her to be doing on her own for the first time ever & we want to make it as smooth as possible for her (if that can possibly be travelling that far)
      Thanks in advance
      Gill
      Boxertony likes this.

Title
      Liked
      18 times
      Rep
      Hi Gill,

If your mum flies Qantas she can go Manchester - London - Singapore - Adelaide. Stops are normally no more than a few hours ( I think the singapore one is 4 hours).

If she flies Emirates she can go Manchester - Dubai - Singapore - Adelaide. Again lay overs aren't very long - a couple of hours at most. Emirates can also fly you in via Melbourne but wouldn't recommend it! This is done with Qantas and they have a lower baggage allowance than Emirates so watch you don't get done for excess!!!

I'm doing the 17 hour lay over next week....not looking forward to it!!!

Cheers

Dave
      cunnah10 likes this.

nishman
      If it's the one I'm thinking of (the one I used twice), the 17hrs stopover is a life saver! You can book into the transit hotel at Changi/Singapore for 8 or 12 hours and catch up on some sleep before getting on the flight to Adelaide.
      cunnah10 likes this.

Title
      Liked
      44 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by nishman View Post
      If it's the one I'm thinking of (the one I used twice), the 17hrs stopover is a life saver! You can book into the transit hotel at Changi/Singapore for 8 or 12 hours and catch up on some sleep before getting on the flight to Adelaide.
      I "personally" agree with you AND we too were so relieved to use the hotel transit with the 4 kids in tow BUT mum in law has got herself into a panic of being on her own for over 17hrs & staying in a hotel room etc... Think I may have another "talk" to her!!! Thanks for the reply !

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by cunnah10 View Post
      I "personally" agree with you AND we too were so relieved to use the hotel transit with the 4 kids in tow BUT mum in law has got herself into a panic of being on her own for over 17hrs & staying in a hotel room etc... Think I may have another "talk" to her!!! Thanks for the reply !
      hi, we have had an elderley relative come over twice now used ba and quantas both times always complained about the food but you can get assistance at every stop, help with finding the next flight help at heathrow changing terminals and always found herself at the front of the queues and she has always arrived safe and sound shes 80 and looking for her next flights next year hope this helps , think you pay a little extra but well worth it and much easier for her to book at a travel agents. hope this helps
      phil
      cunnah10 likes this.

Title
      Liked
      39 times
      Rep
      I think Cathay do a Hong Kong stopover for about 5 hours. She would need to fly to LHR from Manchester.

My MIL did the Singapore route and she was fine. We did expect to get a call saying she was lost in Singapore but she did 6 hours in the transit hotel, then had a foot massage, met a man from Sydney to chat to for an hour and then did the free tour from the airport round Singapore to pass a couple of hours on. There is so much to do in the airport that she really will be fine and so many people to help her.
      cunnah10 likes this.

WoodMartin
      We did Malaysian from Heathrow, had 4 hours in Kuala Lumpur. I don't think they do Manchester though.
      Ali
      cunnah10 likes this.

Title
      Liked
      108 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by cunnah10 View Post
      Hi Gull,

As you know Ive just done it alone with my two girls and we enjoyed the stopover on the way back, booked the transit hotel for 2 x 6hr blocks, slept the 1st 7hrs and then had 3 hrs round the pool, we were in Terminal 1 as Terminal 3 was full but it was an advatage as its where the pool is, she could take a good book and sit around the pool in the shade, get a drink and a snack and people watch.

Our jet lag was very mild, which was because of the sleep we had in Singapore.

The 'helpers' are all over the airport if unsure of directions.

My MIL won't do this alone (she is 76) so your mum is great if she can just have a go and once she has done it she will be ok for next time she comes for a visit, I just think lots of stopovers will be worse for her, family see her off at Manchester and 1 stop in the middle at Singapore and then family to meet in Adelaide.

Tina
      cunnah10 likes this.

caoimhe
      When we came last Nov we only had 5 hours at Singapore. It was Singapore airlines via Heathrow... the schedule may have changed from then
      cunnah10 likes this.

Title
      Liked
      108 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by caoimhe View Post
      When we came last Nov we only had 5 hours at Singapore. It was Singapore airlines via Heathrow... the schedule may have changed from then
      Hi,

Flying from Manchester its 17hrs in Singapore, we just did it last month.

I believe that Singapore is the only airline that fly from Manchester to Adelaide with 1 stopover.

Tina
      cunnah10 likes this.

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums