Shark sightings

Guest lesade

Guest LOOBYLOO

We were on the beach at Port Willunga (south of Moana) this afternoon when the plane started circling and then the siren went off! Didn't see the shark but did see 7 dolphins!

Guest rachinadelaide

Our neighbour's boyfriend was attacked by a great white a couple of weeks ago.... I know the chances of it happening are pretty low but it's still scary!!

Swimming pools are great!

Guest rachinadelaide
was that the guy spear fishing down towards cape jervis ??

Yes - I heard the news on the radio then turned the TV and saw him in hospital. It was one of those 'I know that person' moments.

We saw our neighbours at the weekend - it was all pretty traumatic for them. Their young son was with him. When they got the phonecall they said ha ha, very funny!!

Just always make sure someone else is swimmig a little further out than you and you'll be ok!

Must admit when I heard about the guy who was attacked recently I wasn't at all surprised when I heard he'd been spear fishing - fish in distress give off signals that a shark uses to target its prey, so carrying a thrashing dying fish giving off distress signals around in the water is just asking for trouble, I reckon! Wasn't Rodney Fox doing something similar when he was attacked?

Guest rachinadelaide
Just always make sure someone else is swimmig a little further out than you and you'll be ok!

Must admit when I heard about the guy who was attacked recently I wasn't at all surprised when I heard he'd been spear fishing - fish in distress give off signals that a shark uses to target its prey, so carrying a thrashing dying fish giving off distress signals around in the water is just asking for trouble, I reckon! Wasn't Rodney Fox doing something similar when he was attacked?

I think he was doing exactly the same!!

You wouldn't catch me spear fishing in SA waters (even if I wasn't a vegetarian!!).

Guest rachinadelaide
i thought it was a small bronze whaler that bit him, not too many escape a white pointer

It could've been.... I think I made the assumption it was a great white....

I'll ask them when I see them!

Guest kangomik

Yeh i know, but not every shark out there is JAWS. And yes i know quite a few are white pointers (great whites).

Either way the guy would have been scared to death once it bit.

We always think the worst when we hear about sharks, but pointers are rarely seen close in and don't really like the taste of us lot. Bronzy's are more likely to nibble on anything passing i am told.

Guest Guest75

And there is me congratulating a bloke on a fishing forum for catching his first Hammerhead!:biglaugh:

Looking forward to a bit of Sharking this summer - prolly be Bronzies though.Great Whites - believe it or not are a protected species!

What about us!!!???????:goofy::goofy:

Guest Guest75
Yeh i know, but not every shark out there is JAWS. And yes i know quite a few are white pointers (great whites).

Either way the guy would have been scared to death once it bit.

We always think the worst when we hear about sharks, but pointers are rarely seen close in and don't really like the taste of us lot. Bronzy's are more likely to nibble on anything passing i am told.

Ahem....

There is one mean bitch ( big Great Whites are female) hanging around the Glenelg Tyre Reef - about 5k's out........Close enough for me

The lady in question is around 6m:shocked::shocked::shocked:

Guest katsmajic

We've been kicked out of the water a few times now at moana, sirens have gone off everyday some times 3 times a day over the last 2 weeks - my mums getting well paranoid...

Guest guest569
I was quite worried about shark attacks, particularly as we have four small children who are keen to go down to the beach, so I did some research. Acording to the Marine Biology department at the University of Adelaide most shark attacks tend to happen in the sea, so if you stay on the sand or just stay in ythe car and look out over the ocean you will probably be safe. Hope this reassures everyone. There are a few scaremongers out there.

:biglaugh:like it !!!:notworthy:

I was quite worried about shark attacks, particularly as we have four small children who are keen to go down to the beach, so I did some research. Acording to the Marine Biology department at the University of Adelaide most shark attacks tend to happen in the sea, so if you stay on the sand or just stay in ythe car and look out over the ocean you will probably be safe. Hope this reassures everyone. There are a few scaremongers out there.

I used to let it bother me but i dnt anymore..........just make sure that i am not the furthest from the shore...:biglaugh:

HG

Guest guest569
I used to let it bother me but i dnt anymore..........just make sure that i am not the furthest from the shore...:biglaugh:

HG

I heard you are out of your depth standing in the shower Martin ???:P