Spider Bite!

Guest LOOBYLOO

Guest LOOBYLOO

Well after nearly a year here it finally happend - our 9 year old son was bitten on the arm by a white tip last night!

He had left his pj top on his bedroom floor and when he put it on last night the spider was waiting!

We put an ice pack on right away and phoned GP Plus for advice - Doc said not to worry too much and just watch for allergic reaction. Within half an hour the pain was gone.

Never seen the boys tidy their rooms so fast! Oh and that particular spider won't be biting anyone else :P

Guest Martin and Val

Glad to hear he is OK.

We currently have one of our boys and his girlfriend over here and he has been bitten by something on his ankle! Two days later and his foot and lower leg had swollen up so last night it was off to the doctors for him as they fly back to yUK on Saturday.

$75 for the doctor :mad: and $13 for the antibiotics now we hope the swelling goes down before their flight.

Martin

Guest LOOBYLOO
Glad to hear he is OK.

We currently have one of our boys and his girlfriend over here and he has been bitten by something on his ankle! Two days later and his foot and lower leg had swollen up so last night it was off to the doctors for him as they fly back to yUK on Saturday.

$75 for the doctor :mad: and $13 for the antibiotics now we hope the swelling goes down before their flight.

Martin

Did the doc know what had bitten him? Hope he's ok - bit worrying when he has to fly.

We're setting the bombs off when the boys have gone to school!

Guest Martin and Val
Did the doc know what had bitten him? Hope he's ok - bit worrying when he has to fly.

We're setting the bombs off when the boys have gone to school!

Not a clue, the doctor did ask him if he was allergic to anything and he replied "Yes whatever it was that bit me" :biglaugh:

Mind you all their cloths are piled up neatly in a heap on their bedroom floor which should ring alarm bells!

Martin

Guest ReadyPenny

I got bitten by a white tip shortly after arrival. My arm and wrist swelled up like a balloon, were bright red and seriously burning off!!! You could feel the heat coming from it by hovering your hand 6 inches above my arm and I am NOT joking. Doc gave me 1000mg antibiotics by injection and then a 5 day course to take after that. My whole forearm ached for a week, but no serious damage, just a bit uncomfortable and sizzling hot for me!!!!

Saying all that, I do have sensitive skin though!!!

Mandy

Guest Kazzarazza
Glad to hear he is OK.

Martin

Ouch - the cost would hurt more than the bite. Just a tip, if you're in that situation again. Go to the Emergency Dept at the QEH and visitors from the UK will get seen for nothing like us (due to reciprocal agreement). My mum had an allergic reaction to mozzie bites, of all things, but they gave her the full works at the QEH (just to make sure it wasn't a poisonous spider or snake bite). She had the best health check of her life, some antibiotics, a letter to take home to her doctor and it didn't cost her a cent.

Glad the boy is ok though - that's the main thing. (Obviously that goes for your son too, Loobyloo)

Cheers, Kazza

Glad to hear he is OK.

Martin

If they take their UK Passports (am assuming they have them if flying to the UK, but could be wrong!) and the doctors bill into your local Medicare office, they may be able to claim 80% of the $75 back under the reciprocal agreement.

Incidentally, the white tip spider itself is not actually poisonous, but it does have poor fang hygiene, so if you are unlucky enough to be bitten by one after it has eaten its usual diet of the wispy daddy longlegs spider, it may well inject some of that spider's poison into you, which is when you'll get a bad reaction. The Daddy Longlegs type spider is actually extremely poisonous, but not by itself a danger as its fangs are too small and weak to break a human's skin. Dunno what the official name for Daddy Long Legs spider is I'm afraid, but that's what we call them!

By the way, they also hide themselves on hanging towels in the bathroom.

I've been bitten twice now. First time was from a pair of jeans left on the bedroom floor and got bitten on the back of my leg - there was even 2 puncture marks and a massive love bite where I'd been got and it continued to bleed on and off for a couple of weeks. Luckily, I was ok.

Second time was on my hand and my hand swelled up but went away after a week.

I didn't go to the doctors for either of them but kept an eye on the wounds.

Interesting to note that white tips suffer from poor dental hygeine. My wife and I have been spending a fortune on Mortein spray but they keep coming back. Maybe if we start putting Listerine down it will solve the problem once and for all.

Last summer I got an email that said if you fill one of those spray bottles with a mix of water and listerine and spray it around outside it keeps the mozzies away, so who knows, you may be onto something there!!

Guest Fancy a Beer

Well moral of all those stories issssssss hang your clothes up, that will please my kids!!

Spiders seem to be HUGE and everywhere this year, I set bombs off week ago and I cant belive what I have found dead since!! MASSSSIVE cockroaches (never new we had a problem with them??) and if you look at my Avatar the photo evidence of a HUGE red back that we found other day I thought it was a huntsman at first till it turned round and showed me its massive red arse!!!! NICE!! :arghh:

Guest dunnarunna
Last summer I got an email that said if you fill one of those spray bottles with a mix of water and listerine and spray it around outside it keeps the mozzies away, so who knows, you may be onto something there!!

as im allergic to the mozzies i got told this too, but havent tried it yet. but i have to spray myself with repellent before i go out and take antihistamine if i do get bitten otherwise as my dear friend said i swell like popeye and it get very hot too and lasts about 5 days. they find me the minute i step out the door blooming things.