The uk,food for thought.

sueoc

Hi,

We just booked to go see family back in the UK next Summer.Anyway i have already started thinking about what food i have missed since being here,and what i will be heading for culinarily speaking.Must have some real red leicester cheese,quavers,wotsits,galaxy, McVities Digestive, proper Indian with pilau rice,and a good old brown bitter or ten.Not too fussed on Champagne and Caviar.

Hi

I know what you mean by a good curry ,you cant get it like you can in the uk.I miss my butter chicken from Khans in Bayswater..sad I know but its just not the same also a good kebab.

Sounds like you will enjoy your holiday

helen

Guest Im Here
:) Apparently also Dove is Galaxy under a different name, but I only eat Lindt so can't vouch for that personally!!

Dove is similar to galaxy but galaxy is so much nicer. I got 2 big bars in my fridge lol

Just one quick point - if you're getting visitors to bring any stuff over for you, or if you're bringing it back yourself, make sure you declare it on the form! I've been watching Border Security....!!!!

My folks always declare what they are bringing and it's never an issue, but if you bring it and don't declare it, even for something as harmless as chocolate and crisps, it could become one!!

Guest guest569

if your looking for a good dark beer bitter here in Adelaide try Coopers Vintage. Not available in all drive throughs but in BWS. It will blow your socks off !!!!!:jiggy:

Guest caoimhe

Soda bread

Potato bread

Wheaten bread

Irish sausages

Bisto gravy powder-not granduals

Chinese food -its different here, probably more authentic but not the same to me.

Dim sum-not the dim sim stuff here

M&S smoked salmon stuffed with lobster mouse

Ohhhhhhhh now look what you've started:arghh: I'm having cravings:biglaugh:

Guest massive

OMG so many things and we are very lucky that some friends and family always send stuff but like its been said we then pig out

I find i miss out more on colour catchers £1.89 for 20 in asda $9.98 for 10 in woolies not to mention at least 50 cheaper cleaning products and cheap books but i can't believe i am able to say this you learn to get by and get on with it :biglaugh:

ooooh wispas ....... my mum very kindly brought i think 10 over and they were all gone within24 hours by me. i do like a bit of chocolate :biglaugh:

Get them in Glenelg lolly shop for ONLY *cough cough* about $2.70 each!!!

Guest Kazzarazza

Mmmm Indian. Haven't you tried the Raj on Taj yet on King William Road, Hyde Park? (They have a small premises on Unley Rd too but this is more takeaway). KWR is fab and very reasonably priced.

Also The Spice Kitchen - recently won best Indian in Australia. Dhaba, the owner is a legend. Does cooking classes, overseas gourmet trips and produces boxes of all her spices for sale - just browsing her website makes your mouth water.

Guest Bluenose

Jesus! I used to love Whisper bars...not had one in 12 years!

I like my Topics as well....u can get them from the English Sweet store in Adelaide...but they're close to 4 bucks a pop! I don't miss them that much ;-)

Ummmm Whispers...........

Cheers

J

Guest angiestaff

oh blimey where do i start..........................

*walkers crisps (and i know u can get them here but they are a bit pricey and sometimes out of date!...mind u have found ebay useful for getting these lol)

*monster munch...particularly the beef flavour (trying to persuade hubby to agree so that i can order some off ebay ;))

* nice cadbury choc (me n hubby gave in and paid for some from the shop in hahndorf! :biglaugh:....can't wait for parents to bring some in a couple of weeks)

* chips from chip shop......just don't think that they match up here i'm afraid!

* as someone else said.....doner kebab, mmmmmm!!

* never was a huge indian curry fan but after 8 mths without, i could murder a balti or a rogan josh! lol

* familiar stuff from tesco or asda

...but after all that ....i still wouldn't go back! lol;)

ange x

I agree about chips from chip shop in UK, but "jims chip shop" in port noarlunga does the best chips Ive tasted in Adelaide, give em a taste test be warned he gets very busy