Refreshing Aussie honesty

sueoc

Hiya,

One of the big things i have noticed since being here is when out and about how straight talking and"say it like it is"the Aussies are.The stifling political correctness that has engulfed Society in the UK is not nearly as apparent here when talking to everyday people.It is nice to hear people speak their mind in public,without the tree-hugging do-gooders waiting in the wings to shout them down.Not too much of that"Ooh!you can't say that"crap here yet.A big plus to me.

Guest Guest75

Yep - it's the way here and a big part of why I moved here.

I'm often told to "toughen up" in an Aussie forum :biglaugh:.and I thought I was ard' :biglaugh:

They are not unfeeling and insensitive though - willing to help other with no expectation of return.

I've just seen this in an Aussie forum - lots of help to a stranger to buy his first boat.

............Mateship............... Now there is another good quality :)

Guest Guest75
True! its good to know where you stand buuuuuuuuuut in my experience when you say it like it is back to them they cop a strop and go and sulk!!!;)

Weez you must be meeting the wrong ones!

Our Aussie mates love it.:)

Weez you must be meeting the wrong ones!

Our Aussie mates love it.:)

think you must be right Tyke tho it is fun watching them have a little tanty when they are face with a difference of opinion!!

True! its good to know where you stand buuuuuuuuuut in my experience when you say it like it is back to them they cop a strop and go and sulk!!!;)

Yep, agree. Many of these straight talking, no-nonsense types get quite upset in the face of a different point of view.

Also, straight talking is one thing, ignorant is another. I've seen both here in about equal measures.

Jim

Ha. Got a story about this. Worked for a large firm and one day we were told the BIG BIG boss was coming for a visit so we all had to dress smartly etc etc. Anyway this dude turned up an a suit and was wandering around with all the in-house people kow-towing and hanging on his every word as they do. Comes into my team area and says "hello" and someone asked him a question. "F**ked if I know" came the reply :)

Guest moonraker1959

Having grown up in SA,and then moving back to the UK a few years ago,I can see a definate difference in the way people relate to eachother here.(UK)Way too sensitive in my opinion.Often at work I will tell it how it is,politely of course but honestly!Sometimes people are shocked at what comes out of my mouth but at the end of the day people know where they stand with me.People are much more reserved here I think,and I don't think thats a good thing either.People probably assume I'm abit of a hard nut,who knows,maybe they're right but atleast I can tell it how it is!:)