Elizabeth Downs

Guest Perth Pom

Guest Perth Pom

Hello everyone

This is my first post and I was hoping to get some advice on Elizabeth Downs. We have lived over in Perth for 4 years and recently bought an investment property over in Elizabeth Downs, for an incredibly cheap price (in comparison to Perth)

It got us thinking that we may move over to Adelaide. Because of good fortune, we could sell up here and move to Adelaide and be mortgage free.........a very appealing prospect. BUT, we haven't heard many good things about the Elizabeth area.

We are a family with 3 boys aged 13, 10 and 8 and were wondering whether the schools are any good in this area. Our boys are all at excellent schools here in Perth and we really wouldn't want to compromise their education. They are all quite bright, and 2 of them are very sporty (football, cricket). The 10 year old is more musical (piano).

Perth is great, but very expensive to live in. Particularly when you are not earning the dollars to match the outrageous prices for most things. I mean, It's $9 for a beer in a pub over here!!!:err:

Any info would be very helpful.

Guest dglamoore

Hi and welcome to the site :jiggy:

Not actually ever been to Elizabeth Downs so cannot speak from first hand experience but must admit to mostly hearing negative of the general area

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest kendra

Gday all

Elizabeth Downs has been a rough area for about 20 years, with lots of trust houses & chronic welfare BUT I think its in that process of renewal where young couples buy into a rundown area and it improves.

There are private schools in the area if the public ones dont look too good, also I think our idea of rough in Adelaide is very tame compared to big cities like Sydney & Melbourne.

I would come over & give it a go, maybe do the house up yourselves so you can get a good price & shift suburbs if you dont settle

Ive been all over Oz & still reckon SA beats the lot for living costs & general terrificness.

Good luck:D

Guest Perth Pom
Gday all

Elizabeth Downs has been a rough area for about 20 years, with lots of trust houses & chronic welfare BUT I think its in that process of renewal where young couples buy into a rundown area and it improves.

Thanks Kendra, and Lisa.

I was hoping that this may be the case. We have areas over here in Perth that were considered "rough"just a few years ago, but are now quite desirable (with prices to match). Mind you they are a fair bit closer to the city than Elizabeth. I've heard that there is a massive urban regeneration planned for the area? Surely that can only improve things eh?

I think we need to take a trip over for a good look around.

Is there much work for plumbers in SA?

Hey You Lot I Grew Up In The Downs And Had A Great Time And Went To Elizabeth Downs Primary School And Onto Craigmore High Loved Every Minute.

But Yes Has Got A Reputation But That Does Not Mean You Are Going To Get Shot Etc

You Might Have A Few Kids Around The Shops And The Odd Window Licker

Doing Some Wheel Spins

Guest taylor family

Hi I work all over adelaide and I for one would not advise anyone to buy to live. The reason for the cheap price is that people want to get rid so they can get away. if it is so good why does the driving instructor not live there know.

dont just take my word for it these are just my personal thoughts.

alan and laura taylor.

Hi I work all over adelaide and I for one would not advise anyone to buy to live. The reason for the cheap price is that people want to get rid so they can get away. if it is so good why does the driving instructor not live there know.

dont just take my word for it these are just my personal thoughts.

alan and laura taylor.

I LEFT 26 YEARS AGO TO GO TO THE UK BUT THE PLACE I LIVED IN THE UK, WAS AND STILL IS, WORSE THAN THE DOWNS

Guest sarahsmartiepants

A lot of ozzies I know are children of £10 poms who settled in Elizabeth and the surrounds, there are loads of them that have moved south,so as not to have families there.

I meet at lot of ozzies in my line of work:).

Sarah

A lot of ozzies I know are children of £10 poms who settled in Elizabeth and the surrounds, there are loads of them that have moved south,so as not to have families there.

I meet at lot of ozzies in my line of work:).

Sarah

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT NOW WHAT WE SHOULD THINK IS.............................................

ELIZABETH WAS BUILT UP WITH AND BY THE POMS

DOES THAT MEAN HISTORY WILL REPEAT ITSELF IN 30 YEARS DOWN SOUTH?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

INTERESTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest dglamoore
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT NOW WHAT WE SHOULD THINK IS.............................................

Yes but it cost us lot now much more than £10 to get here :D plus a lot (not all, us included) have equity to buy a 'nice' house rather than living in trust housing as it was in the 70's :huh: so hopefully that will be a NO :arghh:

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Dunno I havent given it that much thought, just saying what I know from speaking to Australians who lived up that way, wont say Elizabeth in general, but other places there too, and that is what they say! I always think if more than a hsndful of people say the smae thing there must be something in it. Also hubby works up that way and the people he works with who live there say they would prefer to live in the south.

Guest Perth Pom

Thanks peeps

I appreciate anyone taking the time to reply to my original question, BUT, I don't think arguing between each other really helps eh? I'm sure other prospective migrants would be grateful to hear why people are slating this area, rather than people slating each other because of differing opinions.

I think we are all agreed that it's a pretty "rough" area. BUT, there is a one billion dollar urban regeneration plan for this area. So, we all need to have vision. Will this improve the area? Or is it a case of you can improve the area, but you can't improve the people? I am very interested because I am now an investor in this area, and I fully intend buying a few more properties over the next few years (finances allowing). And I think Elizabeth can only improve.

BTW, Craigie in Perth was in a similar position 4 years ago. Rough area, houses cost about $170,000. 4 years later, it's still a "rough?????" area. Houses now cost $450,000!!!????:goofy:

Thanks peeps

I appreciate anyone taking the time to reply to my original question, BUT, I don't think arguing between each other really helps eh? I'm sure other prospective migrants would be grateful to hear why people are slating this area, rather than people slating each other because of differing opinions.

I think we are all agreed that it's a pretty "rough" area. BUT, there is a one billion dollar urban regeneration plan for this area. So, we all need to have vision. Will this improve the area? Or is it a case of you can improve the area, but you can't improve the people? I am very interested because I am now an investor in this area, and I fully intend buying a few more properties over the next few years (finances allowing). And I think Elizabeth can only improve.

BTW, Craigie in Perth was in a similar position 4 years ago. Rough area, houses cost about $170,000. 4 years later, it's still a "rough?????" area. Houses now cost $450,000!!!????:goofy:

Hi,

there is a lot of new developments being built in the surrounding area, I have just bought one (subject to FIRB approval) in Andrews farm, although on small plots these new areas will be in good conditon, have open spaces and may look a bit sparten at first but will take a few years for the planting to grow. Most of the industry is in the northern areas and there has been large scale investment anounced in industry as well as infastructure plus military bases, all will create a demand for housing and there for (I hope) make it a good place to live and there for invest, if people are moving into an area to work,they are employed people who are more likely to take some pride in the area they live in.

Having said all this and backed my views with money, there are no guarantees, and it could cost me, I have played safe most of my life and done ok, now I am taking some risk and hoping to do more than ok, time will tell.:D

Simon

Having been here for a month now one thing that has really surprised me is the whole housing issue. You only need to turn on the radio to realise that, like most places, there is a shortage of houses, people struggle to get onto the housing ladder etc. Investing in property is always a risky business but there seems to be so much much money being invested that the feeling in Adelaide is that it is on the up. My mum grew up in Poplar and it was run down then, look at it now and the whole of the East End.... The Australian people I speak to look for a home rather than an investement and everybody has different tastes so I too think it is very unproductive to be slating one area etc, horses for courses as they say (not at the mo with the flu thing though!!!!!). I attended an auction yesterday the guide was 1 mill and it went for 1.34 mill, the estate agent said now is the time to buy buy buy although he did specifically mention out of staters buying up our houses!!!. Good luck with your investments and enjoy Adelaide, we love it here.

• 1 month later...
Guest Perth Pom

Thanks for your input Soggy and Richjop.

It's certainly true about "out of staters" buying up the properties. When we applied for a mortgage to buy our Elizabeth property, our bank manager said that literally 100's of loan applications are coming in every week from Perthites looking to buy in Adelaide. This is exactly what happened in Perth 2-3 years ago. NSW and Victria investors bought up cheap Perth properties. This along with the resources boom created the frenzy in WA real estate.

All the signs are there that SA will follow suit. As big as the mining industry in WA is, I have been informed by "people in the know" that the SA mining industry will eventually make WA mining look small scale. :huh:

Time indeed will tell Soggy. I hope we are correct in our assumptions.

Guest jen&ian

Thanks for that interesting info:notworthy:. We were headed for Perth a couple of years ago when we first thought of emigrating, untill the house prices shot up when we turned our attention to Adelaide. Good to get a bit of background to the whole thing, could be that we've bought in SA at the right time:v_SPIN:.

Jen:D

• 3 years later...
Guest Perth Pom

Wow.

Four years have passed since I started this thread. I just looked it up again as I am about to travel over to Adelaide to carry out some repair/renovation work on our investment property.

We never did buy any other houses in Adelaide, but in four years our house in the downs has increased in value. Not by a great deal, but it has gone UP!!

It'll be interesting to actually get to see Adelaide. i have never been there, we bought the house over the internet. Looking forward to visiting soon.

Cheers Mike