Mechanic advice needed plz

Guest katsmajic

Guest katsmajic

Stupidly bought a kia carnival...2004model, from Wayne Philiis Ford, was assured it was mechanically sound and wouldnt blow up as kia had resolved the previous engine problems...

The car was making a 'funny' noise (when under load/up hills etc) when we got it, we complained and got them to check it out, and documented, they said use premium fuel, which we did anyway, noise got worse etc so we raised it each and every time we took the car in for its service, after 1st service they didnt document it as apparently its a normal noise for kias to make!!!

Took it in 3 weeks ago cos the windows wont open, and complained again about the noise as its getting really noisey and worrying us, they documented and tested the engine management system and said its running lean and its normal...

And now its dead! Martin took it in last week billowing out smoke and chugging like a tractor (which happened suddenly on a hill)

Wayne Phillis have said the pistons have MELTED due to the engine running lean!!!

And theyre refusing to contribute towards the repairs, currently at $5500

Any ideas please...

Have got something up our sleeves if it needs to get nasty but would rather not.

I would contact the RAA for an independent assessment. They once told me that a car we had purchased was not worth what we had paid and was not worth spending any more on. An expensive mistake it was, but we had listened to similar assurances from the selling yard as you have had.

They could at least advise on whether the information you have been given was accurate.

The yard we used has lost out, as we have for many years told people what an unreliable seller they were and we have never used them again, even when we could afford a new car.

I would not make things easy for them and even try consumer affairs if necessary. I am assuming that the statutory warranty has expired.

Guest Bluenose

Kia Carnivals have been on the current affair shows here numerous times.....they seem to either run ok....or have massive problems such as you're experiencing.....I feel for you.

Ok....if ya in the Modbury area then try West Car Clinic......Romeo saved me 700 bucks when Stillwell told me I needed my timing belt changing at 100,000kms. This would be sound advise if my Nissan actually had a timing belt....been taking my car there ever since.

Cheers

J

Stupidly bought a kia carnival...2004model, from Wayne Philiis Ford, was assured it was mechanically sound and wouldnt blow up as kia had resolved the previous engine problems...

The car was making a 'funny' noise (when under load/up hills etc) when we got it, we complained and got them to check it out, and documented, they said use premium fuel, which we did anyway, noise got worse etc so we raised it each and every time we took the car in for its service, after 1st service they didnt document it as apparently its a normal noise for kias to make!!!

Took it in 3 weeks ago cos the windows wont open, and complained again about the noise as its getting really noisey and worrying us, they documented and tested the engine management system and said its running lean and its normal...

And now its dead! Martin took it in last week billowing out smoke and chugging like a tractor (which happened suddenly on a hill)

Wayne Phillis have said the pistons have MELTED due to the engine running lean!!!

And theyre refusing to contribute towards the repairs, currently at $5500

Any ideas please...

Have got something up our sleeves if it needs to get nasty but would rather not.

Oh, I am sorry Kat. We bought a Grand Carnival and then read a lot of bad press so this does not fill us with much confidence.

Always annoys when car dealers are all smiles for a sale then it's like you've got a disease when there is a fault with the car:arghh: Unethical springs to mind.

Best of luck,

Cooler

Guest katsmajic

Thanks everyone, we've been on to consumer affairs who are great and furious...also putting everything in writing to garage owner and kia.

Garage have said they could fix up the pistons at a cheaper price if we just want to part ex the car...which sounds dodgy initself as the engine would still be damaged!

Seems like the newest kias are great but anything pre 2006 has serious issues. Our kia is august 2004 so just out of kia warranty...which was why we bought additional warranty only to be told theyl only cover the management system = $600 and no consequential damage! pants.

Guest katsmajic

Ours sounded like it wasnt finding the right gear on hills...auto not manual

and as it got worse and worse it felt and sounded like it needed a push...initially we compared it to a fiesta struggling up a steep hill in uk - as that was the only noise weve heard comparable.

I hope yours is fine and stays a good work horse.

WPF have involved kia themselves, as WPF say theyve never seen an engine in such a state as ours. :err: But WPF claim that as the engine management test they did 3weeks ago read normal theyre clear of any blame - yet the same mechanic said the damage cant have just happened????

Yeah - me too. Bought a 2004 carnival and it also makes a clicking sound going up hills...

Liz

Guest The Wright Move

This may be a known problem with KIA, the fact is you have asked them to fix it and they haven,t. Suggest you advice them you are going to have the vehicle inspected by a vehicle engineer and then you will issue legal action. This may seem an extreme measure but it may be your only option.

Send me a PM with your contact details if you need further information. The fact that they alleegedly checked the vehicle and 3 weeks later the engine let go actually works in your.