a little help !

Guest Guest3980

Guest Guest3980

Hi,

Finally landed in Adelaide yesterday and am living in North Adelaide till Feb.

Can someone please advise the best place to buy decent tools from? ( i`m a sparky! )

Also if anyone could give me a starter on where to look for a second hand car for around 5000 bucks. ( dont say the scrapyard!! )

Thanks a lot

Jon.

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Jonsparx,

Welcome to Adelaide. Hope you had a good trip over.

I agree with jomark too - Bianco are pretty big, service is very good and I'm sure if they don't have exactly what you want, they will point you in the right direction.

If you are in North Adelaide, you should take a walk up Main North Road. There are dozens of car yards on both sides, from major dealerships to cheap and cheerful (and everything in between).

Good luck, Kazza

Guest Bluenose

Hi and welcome

If ya in north adelaide then you can catch the 222 (I think it's still the number) and that takes u a long Main North Road. There's a lot of car yards a long that road. Look for car yards that have the RAA logo....there's a better chance you won't be sold a lemon.

If I find a car that I want to buy then I always get an independent RAA report.....it's costs you but at least it'll give you an idea of any possible faults.

Generally...any of the Japanese cars do ok as long as they've been regulary serviced....but you pay for them. Fords & Holdens are ok as well....parts are cheaper than other cars as there are often a lot of them around. Mind you any potential problem can be costly with any car.

You could look at the Mitsubishi Magna's.....they were a locally produced car which was aimed at the Holden/Ford family car market.....they didn't do to well because the Aussies are obsessed with rear wheel drive cars so the Magna's are front wheel drive and would decrease a lot in value....They're a sound car....and you might be able to get a bit more car for your money...again you need to check it out and make sure they've been serviced....20,000km per year is the max you really want to look at.

You could always look in the Advertiser at the Auction houses.....thats where a lot of the car yard dealers go.....you need to know what you're looking for and there's no warranty. Look online at:-

http://www.carsales.com.au/

and use :-

http://www.redbook.com.au/

This will give you a guide to what a car is worth....the dealers use this on trade ins etc.

Remember that a yard will almost always be more expensive than a private seller (stating the obvious I know) because they often give you a warranty of about 3 - 6 months....be sure to check the small print as it doesn't always cover things like the head / rings / gearbox etc...

I'm no mechanic and the above is just a few pointers. Happy hunting.

Cheers

J

Guest kangomik

Total tools is good, and yes i would have a look up North road, and even north east road, you will find a good one. Watch out with prices, below a certain price then you have no comeback regarding warranty.

Guest Guest3980

Ok ill give those a go too, thanks guys you`re very helpful. Decided to have a walk into the city to find a new mobile phone today, I have never felt heat like it, how do you brickies survive?! At least sparkies get a bit of cover.... Reckon ill wait till winter before I get the fishing gear out!

Bluenose, thanks a lot for your advice but a Geordie supporting Everton? What happend there!!

Anyway thanks again,

Jon

Guest Bluenose
Ok ill give those a go too, thanks guys you`re very helpful. Decided to have a walk into the city to find a new mobile phone today, I have never felt heat like it, how do you brickies survive?! At least sparkies get a bit of cover.... Reckon ill wait till winter before I get the fishing gear out!

Bluenose, thanks a lot for your advice but a Geordie supporting Everton? What happend there!!

Anyway thanks again,

Jon

haha long story ;-) Well not that long ;-)

U thought today was hot? haha just wait till it hits 46c....now thats HOT :-)

Guest Wes Bloss

good points made already, def use red book to check price before negotiating, i preferred to use a dealer as private sales offer no guarantee of condition as there are no MOTs out here. Things to negotiate with dealer: say you want that price 'on the road' this means all the extra costs like rego etc that can add another 1000+ on if your not carfeful. Also, for peace of mind I got a 3 yr warranty on the car, it cost around $700 but it covers everything apart form normal wear and tear - a personal choice but i think its worth it. hope this helps.

PS - make sure the car has tinting, most do, but without it the car will COOK! -

GOOD LUCK!

Hi Jon,

I lived in North Adelaide for a year myself, nice place and handy for most things, i'm tempted to give you some advice on where to get a good coffee and bite to eat in North Adelaide but fear I would be monderated for advertising.:):):) ( if you want to know the answer just look down the page a little further)

Simon

Guest Guest3980

Ok, thanks guys....will tell the mrs about the coffee as long as you hide the cakes!!

Sorry but im still a bit confused about the buying procedure over here,

1) Whats Rego, I thought it was the same as MOT? Whats the expiry of a Rego?

2) How does car insurance work? I heard you are automatically insured when you get a Rego but do people need private insurance too, eg fully comp?

3) How long can I drive on my UK licence before I need to convert it to SA?

So many things to learn!! Ive had my head in the books studying for my licence, most other things have been neglected.... Had another nice walk into the city today, in my jeans and coat!!! What the!

Cheers,

Jon

Guest Bluenose

Hi

Rego = registration of the car u need to register your car for either 3/6/9/12 months. The insurance included in the rego is incase you have an accident ie you smash into another car as you're pulling out of the car yard....it covers liability.

It does not cover any probs that may crop up with your purchase....

You'll have to seperately insure your car ie 3rd party or fully comp...this covers you incase you do have a smash and you hit a BMW or a Jag etc....I won't go into the 10% responsibility rule...it'll just complicate things ;-)

Cheers

J

Ok, thanks guys....will tell the mrs about the coffee as long as you hide the cakes!!

2) How does car insurance work? I heard you are automatically insured when you get a Rego but do people need private insurance too, eg fully comp?

So many things to learn!! Ive had my head in the books studying for my licence, most other things have been neglected.... Had another nice walk into the city today, in my jeans and coat!!! What the!

Cheers,

Jon

For question 3:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13573&highlight=licence

Cooler

Guest Im Here

Cheers,

Jon

Car rego covers you for bodily insurance not car insurance. You are not automaticaly covered to any damge to your car or the car that gets hit you need seperate insurance for that and it works just like any insurance you had elsewhere. You can also use your no claims from the UK as well which is good.

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Vehicles+and+registration/Vehicle+insurance/Types+of+insurance+for+vehicles

Guest Wes Bloss

Jon

1) rego is registraion on the car, renew it yearly.there are no MOTs here, there is a small chance you could be pulled by the old bill and have your car decommissioned if not roadworthy but if you look at some of the other things driving around you can see you can leave the car a good ole while.

2) 3rd party is in with your rego, but as already said, it covers flesh not metal, if you follow. stronly rec full comp, for me and the wife it cost $495 total. with swan, but others maybe be better if you have time to shop around. they shoul put you down for max no claims without any proof.

3) can drive on UK lic for 3 months, but i have heard insur can be more expensive on a uk lic, so go to a licence place and get your licence changed over, theres one one beach road behind NAB. all they need is proof of ID and address, takes 5 mins, easy.

Guest RANDYLIZARD78

Hi theses are the tool shops i get all of my supplies from

Collins Industrial Distributors

92 Grange Rd

Welland SA 5007

(08) 8340 1550

- collinsid.com.au

Weber Abrasives & Industrial Supplies

120/122 Frederick St

Welland SA 5007

(08) 8346 9571

And there is Also General tools but they are way up the top of the city