My Story UK to Adelaide back to UK.

soccer65

My dream started whilst watching wanted down under on the tv, the OH was not too keen but said if the kids wanted to go we would look into it, both kids said yes, so the dream had begun. OH had enough points with her being a nurse, so she sorted out a job through a nursing agency, I sorted out a possible job by surfing the net. We managed to sell our house within a few months, got a case worker and temp visa granted, but we had to stay with in laws for a few months until flights were due, which may have not been such a good idea, OH mother kept on getting upset and made it feel uncomfortable and then the going away party 2 days before we due to leave was very teary night to say the least. Then while waiting for our flight from heathrow came the big bombshell when my eldest told me he did not want to go anymore, all the planning was slowly going up in smoke, now it was 2 against 2. We arrived in SA and was met at the airport and taken to our home for the first 4 weeks, what a dive it was ( midway apartments, nothing like the internet pictures), the OH cried and wanted to go back on the next flight, it was worse place I had ever seen and I've seen some bad one, but we decided things could only get better. We then did the setting up banks, medicare, taxfile number, car and exploring. During the first 4 weeks we made good friends with Cara n Daz, Heidi n Hamish and Emma and spent many a good day down at the beach and a few beers on a night, but then we would get the odd phone call from a teary MIL saying how much she was missing us and my lad kept on asking when was we going back. We started the roller coaster of looking for a rental (which at times seemed as the whole of SA was looking at the same time) within our budget and after looking round a few places decided we would just concentrate on Hallett Cove which to us was a lovely place, we fell in love with 1 house which we was told by the estate agent was going to be ours except for the owner who decided to give it to someone else ( another nail in the coffin) in the end we found a rental which was ok but not what we hoped for and it was not going to be ready for another 4 weeks, so we had to rent another short term rental at over the odds rent ( another nail in the coffin) and also spend a few days with Heidi and Hamish (Thank You so much for that). The OH started work, got kids into schools and I went to see about the job I'd found only to find it was a dump, all the promises he had told me had disappeared so I decided not to take it ( another nail in the coffin). The kids settled into school well, Sam played football and rugby league and got picked to play state rugby league for SA in the junior tournament but he still kept on asking to go back to the UK, Georgia loved it at school and got herself into a netball team, but Lisa did not like it at work (another nail in the coffin) to her she was getting all the **** shifts so she lied to get her hours reduced and on a set pattern saying I had got a weekend job, which worked but the truth was I only managed casual work and it was peanuts. The hot weather went and bring on the rain,rain rain and more rain and the freezing cold nights ( another nail in the coffin) this made my family thing they might as well had been back in the UK. We met new friends mainly Steve n Kelly and had a laugh which sometimes took our minds off life back in the UK even though we still got the odd phonecall. We decided to apply for PR to give me more options with work so Lisa could go part time, then the biggest bombshell, Lisa was pregnant (was this the last nail in the coffin), she kept on working but started to get tired but the hospital would not reduce her hours and due to not getting any benefits the big question was do we stay and hope PR comes through in time or go back to the UK whilst Lisa was still able to fly, the voting went 3 to 1 to go back, they had decided that the sunshine and beach lifestyle was not as good has been back in the UK with family and friends. Well the last of our savings went on flights,container and rental costs and after been in SA just short of 10 months we returned back to the UK, to the joy of all our families and friends. We have now been back in the UK for just over 3 weeks and it feels as if I've never been away, nothings changed all mates still go to the local, if it was not for the photos and memories I'd think it was all a dream when I wake up on a morning, well we are all looking forward to Xmas and the birth of our new son in March and you never know now we have a case officeer for our PR visa that we may return one day. To all our friends in Adelaide, Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year, all the best and I hope it works out for all you lot out there.

wow what an emotional strory. I hope you do return as on a PR it does, make life a lot easier but if not it does not matter at least you said you tried.

Thank you for sharing and hope you have a good Christmas and best of luck with you new addition to the family. I have to say I did not live here the next best place would be Yorkshire ;-)

Steven and Lisa, what a story. At least you gave it a try but such a shame that things haven't worked out for you here. At least you mother-in-law will be happy now! Hope everything goes well for you back in the UK and congratulations on the baby news.

Guest thekings

An amazing story of which I have nothing but admiration for you, as we have told so many friends and loved ones. We would rather try it, fail and come home with tail between legs rather than spend the rest of our lives regretting a missed opportunity.

Good luck in your future where ever that may be and have a great Christmas

Guest theknights

Just wanted to say good luck to you all, hope you have a lovely christmas with family.

The little car is fab, Ive not taken all the stickers out of the back window, much to the disgust of my oh! still has LEEDS in the back window, reminds me of home, even if we did come from cheshire!

Merry Christmas,

Alison, Earl & Izzy

I have been looking on the forum myself for a while now as We are considering coming home after being in Adelaide for over 2 years. We are from Leeds as well so its good to hear your post and that you are settling back. I want to come home but my OH loves it here so dilemmas. We have a 3year old and 18 month old. My eldest will be due to start school in Sept in the UK so we need to make up our mind very soon. I am a teacher so would need to be back to get a teaching job for the new school year. We have submitted our Permanent residency but are waiting to hear about a case officer. I will try and chase them today. Just a question. Did you have your permanency before you returned? and does it last if you leave the country. Have a wonderful christmas back in Leeds and good luck with the new arrival.

Hi Steve, Lisa, Sam and Georgia, wishing you all a very merry Christmas and prosperous new year and don't forget we want some photos of that 'Bub'.

There is still time for you to get back before the start of the rugby season and as you well know there will allways be a place in Steven's squad for Sam.

Text or PM your land line and we will give you a call over Christmas.

Love Kelly, Steven, Hannah, Ysobel and Zac x

Hi Guys. Glad to hear ur settling back into the English way of a life. It will be great spending Xmas with all ur family and friends. As has already been said PR will make a huge difference. As u know i got mine in Nov and things are getting better on the money front plus i have just had an interview for a community job which i know would make a huge difference for Lisa. Keep me posted on how things go and if u do decide to come back when u have PR the bonus will be that u know people. Take care and have a great xmas.xxxx

Thank you for the messages, glad to hear the little cars still running long live her reign, kelly n steve we will miss u 2, I've sent steve a pm on facebook and to emma all the best for the future. Living in a lovely village surrounded by down to earth yorkshire folk has made the journey back that lot easier, at least I can watch my beloved Leeds United and Leeds Rhinos again, been sports mad I've got lots of things to do and plan. This is where my families new adventure begins, I will be happy I always am. All I can say now is ENJOY.

Guest batleys

i think this is the most honest post i have ever read on here thank you so much as this is just how i am feeling and i was beginning to feel it was just me must be a yorkshire thing

My dream started whilst watching wanted down under on the tv, the OH was not too keen but said if the kids wanted to go we would look into it, both kids said yes, so the dream had begun. OH had enough points with her being a nurse, so she sorted out a job through a nursing agency, I sorted out a possible job by surfing the net. We managed to sell our house within a few months, got a case worker and temp visa granted, but we had to stay with in laws for a few months until flights were due, which may have not been such a good idea, OH mother kept on getting upset and made it feel uncomfortable and then the going away party 2 days before we due to leave was very teary night to say the least. Then while waiting for our flight from heathrow came the big bombshell when my eldest told me he did not want to go anymore, all the planning was slowly going up in smoke, now it was 2 against 2. We arrived in SA and was met at the airport and taken to our home for the first 4 weeks, what a dive it was ( midway apartments, nothing like the internet pictures), the OH cried and wanted to go back on the next flight, it was worse place I had ever seen and I've seen some bad one, but we decided things could only get better. We then did the setting up banks, medicare, taxfile number, car and exploring. During the first 4 weeks we made good friends with Cara n Daz, Heidi n Hamish and Emma and spent many a good day down at the beach and a few beers on a night, but then we would get the odd phone call from a teary MIL saying how much she was missing us and my lad kept on asking when was we going back. We started the roller coaster of looking for a rental (which at times seemed as the whole of SA was looking at the same time) within our budget and after looking round a few places decided we would just concentrate on Hallett Cove which to us was a lovely place, we fell in love with 1 house which we was told by the estate agent was going to be ours except for the owner who decided to give it to someone else ( another nail in the coffin) in the end we found a rental which was ok but not what we hoped for and it was not going to be ready for another 4 weeks, so we had to rent another short term rental at over the odds rent ( another nail in the coffin) and also spend a few days with Heidi and Hamish (Thank You so much for that). The OH started work, got kids into schools and I went to see about the job I'd found only to find it was a dump, all the promises he had told me had disappeared so I decided not to take it ( another nail in the coffin). The kids settled into school well, Sam played football and rugby league and got picked to play state rugby league for SA in the junior tournament but he still kept on asking to go back to the UK, Georgia loved it at school and got herself into a netball team, but Lisa did not like it at work (another nail in the coffin) to her she was getting all the **** shifts so she lied to get her hours reduced and on a set pattern saying I had got a weekend job, which worked but the truth was I only managed casual work and it was peanuts. The hot weather went and bring on the rain,rain rain and more rain and the freezing cold nights ( another nail in the coffin) this made my family thing they might as well had been back in the UK. We met new friends mainly Steve n Kelly and had a laugh which sometimes took our minds off life back in the UK even though we still got the odd phonecall. We decided to apply for PR to give me more options with work so Lisa could go part time, then the biggest bombshell, Lisa was pregnant (was this the last nail in the coffin), she kept on working but started to get tired but the hospital would not reduce her hours and due to not getting any benefits the big question was do we stay and hope PR comes through in time or go back to the UK whilst Lisa was still able to fly, the voting went 3 to 1 to go back, they had decided that the sunshine and beach lifestyle was not as good has been back in the UK with family and friends. Well the last of our savings went on flights,container and rental costs and after been in SA just short of 10 months we returned back to the UK, to the joy of all our families and friends. We have now been back in the UK for just over 3 weeks and it feels as if I've never been away, nothings changed all mates still go to the local, if it was not for the photos and memories I'd think it was all a dream when I wake up on a morning, well we are all looking forward to Xmas and the birth of our new son in March and you never know now we have a case officeer for our PR visa that we may return one day. To all our friends in Adelaide, Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year, all the best and I hope it works out for all you lot out there.

Balls Balls mate, thats what it takes to move over here and even give it a go..thats what you did and you gave it a big go.

At least you came over and giva it a bloody good shot, you may return you may not but you can put it down on your your life path of things you have have done, not many people can say thay have up sticks and moved to the other side of the world.

All the best in whatever you decide to do and i wish you a merry christmas...

Take care

HG

Guest Guest75
good riddance another whinging pom gone :) only anther million or so to go

2 offensive posts mate - many more and we'll be having words.

Have a little respect for others.:mad::mad:

It was a lovely post and I really hope everything works out for you and your family. Sometimes no matter how well you prepare for life abroad - if you don't get the breaks and a bit of luck ...it can be an impossible task.

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

glad to hear you have settled back to life in Yorkshire. Hope you have a great Christmas and New Year with your family and friends and good luck with the baby, can't wait to see the photos of him soon!!!!

Take Care

Mandy x

Guest Guest75
i was only speaking my mind is that not allowed :confused:

Offensive and personal attack posts are frowned on.

Some people do it really tough,it's a big move.

Some share their probs on here.

Think if you moved to the UK.

I'm in the living and loving camp BTW.:)

theponting I am not offended by your comments I loved my stay in Adelaide but saying good riddance to my family is a different matter, they didnt like it and wanted me to take them back to the UK, if I ever visit this lovely country again I would like to have a face to face chat with you just to show you I am not a whinging pom but instead the best thing ever to be produced from the UK, something you can not say being 1 of the oz numpties. ;)

glad you have settled back into life there in yorkshire. Good luck in the future and with the baby, I look forward to hearing when the baby arrives. Give Lisa my love and I am just sorry that we never got together more when you were here