Power or Crows

Guest familygood

Guest familygood

With just 3 weeks to go before we fly and with yet another defeat under our belt at the weekend - I think its time to ditch the football club and start thinking about which team to turn my misplaced allegiance too.

So do I back to Crows or the Power?

And can someone give me an idea of how much it costs on a game by game basis?

Cheers all

Well unless your family is feral, it'll have to be the Crows. After all, it is a fact that they are 'The pride of South Australia...courageous, stronger, faster...AND respected by our foes' lol!

We go to as many home games as poss as the atmosphere is fantastic, totally recommend it. It costs us around $50-something for a family of four, extra kid tickets are around $2.75. When we get to the finals, ticket prices go up a bit, but still worth it. Kids are supposed to be around 14? but no-one has yet checked. It's way cheaper to buy family tickets and I think this says something about the market they are catering to.

When there, you can buy pies, hot chips and ice coffee (obv!) plus rain things and ice lollies. Drinking is now allowed in some areas - or it was last season.

It is the BEST day out and our first game is as part of the NAB Cup (slightly different rules) at AAMI on the 13 Feb! Be there or miss out lol!

Oooh...have I gone on a bit? Whichever team you decide to go for, you will be expected to be committed - heart and soul!:notworthy:

LC

Guest panther

I agree with all the posts so far you would have only one team to support and that is the Crows the team for all South Australians and given today is our Birthday(28 December ) you should follow them.

Ticket prices around $28.00 for adult and cheaper for children or if you are like us go to each game buy a seasons membership ticket . Around $400.00 not bad which includes 4 sanfl games per year and you can join me to watch my belovered Panthers (South Adelaide). All Sanfl games cost $8.00 per Adult and free for the Kids and they can go on the oval during the break and kick the footy around or just muck around a good cheap day out for a family, at Noarlunga home of the Panthers you can also take your car and park around the oval and watch the game from your car you never get that any where in the world.

Guest panther

Thought there was a problem with Heaps Good just got there priorities wrong, follow the Team for All South Aussies

Panther

Fully Furnished Unit in Marino with Sea Views perfect for a Holiday

Any true Power fan will tell you that the Crows are just a manufactured team - Port Adelaide is the one that's been around forever, and also has a SANFL team (aka the Magpies), unlike the Crows who are just made up of the dregs of several other SANFL sides...

Not that I support either though, or rather, I'll support both whenever they're playing a team from interstate, and slightly come down on the side of Port in a showdown, coz that's where I work!

You only go to the AFL in Adelaide if you like silence, can knit, clap when told to buy the big screen and are over 60 ;)

Crows have only been around for 17 years, so all the (old) people who say they have been crows supporters forever are dreamers.

(I am no AFL fan or hater BTW).

As for the OP saying you are thinking of ditching your team after a loss...they are obviously not your team then,.... fans support their team through thick and thin forever.

Happy xmas all!

Guest Mick and Helen
You only go to the AFL in Adelaide if you like silence, can knit, clap when told to buy the big screen and are over 60 ;)

Crows have only been around for 17 years, so all the (old) people who say they have been crows supporters forever are dreamers.

(I am no AFL fan or hater BTW).

As for the OP saying you are thinking of ditching your team after a loss...they are obviously not your team then,.... fans support their team through thick and thin forever.

Happy xmas all!

as wolves fans we know where your comng from

Any true Power fan will tell you that the Crows are just a manufactured team - Port Adelaide is the one that's been around forever, and also has a SANFL team (aka the Magpies), unlike the Crows who are just made up of the dregs of several other SANFL sides...

Not sure about being the 'dregs' Diane, rather 'the pride of South Australia' lol!:P

I take your point but I think that might be one of the things that works against Port? Perhaps Port is too related to one SANFL side thus leaving supporters of the other 8 SANFL teams to go for the Crows.

I understand from friends that Port tried to become the AFL team a few years before the Crows did, but the fact that they would be perceived as Port Adelaide rather than a true and fair representative State team. I believe they offered to become a composite team, but I don't think the AFL saw this as as easy to market as a brand new team withy players from all over.

And perhaps they were right...after all aren't the 'Pies and the Power close to bankruptcy??

:wubclub: LC

I am surprised and:shocked: lol!!

We've been to many, many games over the past few years but they must have been different ones to the ones you've attended lol! Mind you, we do tend to sit fairly near the cheer squad lol!

One of the things that appealed to me intially was the crowd feeling as it is so strong and (usually) positive. I remember the semi in 2006, me with my Crows scarf etc with my young son in his Eagles gear. A game with a lot riding on it but everyone was so good natured - teased the hell out of my son though ;)! That was the only time I really did feel that silence...after the game, when we'd lost. It felt like everyone was mourning and was very heavy. I guess that says a lot about how intensely we people care about 'our' team.

I'm no expert - how can I be, we've only been here a relatively short time! I know though, that I have changed from a meh! soccer mum to a raving footy supporter, and that's thanks to my son, our friends, the nature of the game (it's sooo good!) and that feeling when your team is playing.

Bet you feel asleep during that tirade, didn't you lol!

:cute:LC

Not sure about being the 'dregs' Diane, rather 'the pride of South Australia' lol!:P

I take your point but I think that might be one of the things that works against Port? Perhaps Port is too related to one SANFL side thus leaving supporters of the other 8 SANFL teams to go for the Crows.

I understand from friends that Port tried to become the AFL team a few years before the Crows did, but the fact that they would be perceived as Port Adelaide rather than a true and fair representative State team. I believe they offered to become a composite team, but I don't think the AFL saw this as as easy to market as a brand new team withy players from all over.

And perhaps they were right...after all aren't the 'Pies and the Power close to bankruptcy??

:wubclub: LC

The Crows were formed when thd AFL started, so Port couldn't have been an AFL team before them.

On your other post you talka a bout a cheer squad...I am sorry, but being told when to clap and shake your knitting needles proves my point, go to Anfield, Elland Road etc and you will see what I mean :)

I went to a Port v Crows game and was told that it was the best atmosphere ever, at HT I asked when the crowd would get going (true story), clapping and a cheer when a goal goes in is NOT an atmosphere in my book.

But, as I said I don't mind the game, but it's only in Aus for a reason.......

Guest Bluenose

Port Adelaide POWER is for INBRED Ferals....if you like swearing then follow them....It was an eye opener when a 75 year old woman started to use words I wouldn't even use! Anyway, the way they're going they'll be broke by the time you get here lol.....So I'd say CROWS.....they're the real deal....you could always support Brisbane, Sydney or West Coast ;)

Quiet crowds are part of Australia....it's not just at the footy....it's at concerts etc...Australians can be a little ummmm......a little reserved... :)

Cheers

J

The Crows were formed when thd AFL started, so Port couldn't have been an AFL team before them.

On your other post you talka a bout a cheer squad...I am sorry, but being told when to clap and shake your knitting needles proves my point, go to Anfield, Elland Road etc and you will see what I mean :)

I went to a Port v Crows game and was told that it was the best atmosphere ever, at HT I asked when the crowd would get going (true story), clapping and a cheer when a goal goes in is NOT an atmosphere in my book.

But, as I said I don't mind the game, but it's only in Aus for a reason.......

having been to both anfield,elland road and the fearsome home park(plymouth argyle) i will agree the atmosphere will seem tame.its a different atmosphere alltogether its a lot more family friendly which suits me having a footy mad 6 yo.if you are trying to capture the epl atmosphere forget it.great game go crows.

Guest Kazzarazza

Hi Adelaidenow. Sorry, must correct you there. The move to a national comp actually started in 1982, when South Melbourne relocated to Sydney. The comp then expanded to Perth (West Coast) and Brisbane (relocating Fitzroy). The new name (AFL) may have only been brought in in 1990, but Port did apply for the first SA licence and failed. The Crows were then formed to start playing in the 1991 season.

(As quoted from wikipedia.....

As early as 1982, there was talk of a side from South Australia entering the VFL. This was fast tracked in 1987 when a team from Western Australia, the West Coast Eagles, and a team from Brisbane, the Brisbane Bears joined the VFL. This left South Australia as the only mainland state in Australia without a team in an increasingly national competition.

The SANFL had been unwilling to entertain the thought of a South Australian side in the VFL. In 1990, the Port Adelaide Football Club, frustrated at the SANFL's lack of action and looking to secure its own future, formally applied to enter what had now become the AFL. The AFL signed a Heads of Agreement with the club in expectation that Port would enter the competition in 1991. What ensued was one of the most bitter episodes in South Australian football history that split the state, the fault lines of which are still evident today. Furious at what it perceived to be treacherous behaviour by Port Adelaide, the SANFL put forward a counter bid to enter a composite South Australian side into the AFL. After legal action from all parties, the AFL finally agreed to accept the SANFL's bid and the Adelaide Football Club was born. Ultimately, Port Adelaide could not compete against the SANFL's ownership of infrastructure and the support of the nine other clubs in South Australia.

The fallout from this failed bid was disastrous with some even calling for Port Adelaide to be expelled from the SANFL.)

History lesson over - to the Familygood, the Crows are the ONLY team for ALL South Australians. You meet a much better class of person (lol) and they are great with the kids. Even though the Power have as many, if not more, interstate born players in there ranks as any other club - they still insist with hanging on to a "heritage" which is totally un-related to the current format. I they don't start to modernise their thinking soon, as Lazy Cow quite rightly said, they and the Port Maggies will go bankrupt.

Cheers from the Pride of South Australia................... :jiggy:

having been to both anfield,elland road and the fearsome home park(plymouth argyle) i will agree the atmosphere will seem tame.its a different atmosphere alltogether its a lot more family friendly which suits me having a footy mad 6 yo.if you are trying to capture the epl atmosphere forget it.great game go crows.

One goes to a live event for the atmosphere, if you aren't interested in that watch it on TV, the fact is the AFL has no atmopshere or passion, some fans try to convince themslevs otherwise (sadly).

If you want to just watch and sit in silence then why go? AAMI is often cold and windy, which is great (IMO) as it's part and parcel of going out to sport....but you look at the fans...all wrapopd up in their knitted quilts, gloves, scarves and bobble hats from the 70's which are most likely made there. :biglaugh:

On a more serious note, you talk to almost any Crows fan at AAMi about the opposition, they wont know the players, most fans have no interest in the game itself, just the Crows, which is very very sad.

The comp wasn't national until the AFL was born, as SA wasn't part of it until 1990 - the two states that play the game being SA and Vic. The VFL expanded as you said relocating some clubs, but it wasn't really a national comp they just played in other states. Only when the Adelaide Football Club joined the AFL was it deemed a national comp.

(I hope you are not a teacher, as quoting Wikipedia is not allowed, due to the number of inaccuracies- fact) ;-)